ACCforum: Definition Of Pain Equating To Torture - ACCforum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Definition Of Pain Equating To Torture as above

#1 User is offline   jocko 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 988
  • Joined: 15-September 03

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:17 PM

In here is a point of interest;
Donald Rumsfeld. - Reuters

No "Wiggle Room" On Prisoner Torture
15/06/2004 03:45 PM
Will Dunham - Reuters

The Bush administration sees no "wiggle room" on the definition of torture, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said on Monday, even as a classified Justice Department memo stated some "cruel, inhuman or degrading" acts may not amount to torture.

Rumsfeld's comments followed the disclosure in the past week of classified memos in which administration lawyers argued that US and international laws banning torture did not restrict President George W. Bush, as commander in chief, in the way he ordered interrogations of prisoners.

"There is no wiggle room in the president's mind or my mind about torture. That is not something that's permitted under the Geneva Convention or the laws of the United States," Rumsfeld told a news briefing outside the Pentagon with visiting Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

Asked whether torture was justified under any circumstances, Rumsfeld said: "Our view in the United States has been that we adhere to the Geneva Convention and we adhere to the laws of the land. ... It's required that people that are in custody be treated in a humane way."

The treatment of prisoners by US forces has come under scrutiny amid a scandal over the abuse of Iraqi prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison outside Baghdad and subsequent revelations that dozens of prisoners have died while in US custody in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Rumsfeld noted some critics of the administration had said the US policy of holding foreign terrorism suspects indefinitely at the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, amounted to a form of "mental torture."

"Therefore, that word gets used by some people in a way that is fair from their standpoint but doesn't fit a dictionary definition of the word that one would normally accept," Rumsfeld said.

'Pain And Suffering'

Administration lawyers also have been examining the definition of torture.

An August 2002 memo written by the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel concluded that "certain acts may be cruel, inhuman or degrading but still not produce pain and suffering of the requisite intensity" to fall within a torture ban set out by an international accord and US law.

The memo, posted on the Internet by The Washington Post, was written at the request of the CIA and addressed to Alberto Gonzales, counsel to the president.

"Physical pain amounting to torture must be equivalent in intensity to the pain accompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death," the memo stated.

The Justice Department memo argued a US law implementing the international convention against torture "taken as a whole makes plain that it prohibits only extreme acts."

The memo, along with a March 2003 memo written to Rumsfeld that surfaced last week, argued information gained from interrogations may prevent future attacks on the United States. The memo cited legal defenses available, including "necessity" and "self-defense," for US personnel accused of torture.
0

#2 User is offline   jocko 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 988
  • Joined: 15-September 03

Posted 15 June 2004 - 10:39 PM

Here is the definition of pain doctor; "Physical pain amounting to torture must be equivalent in intensity to the pain accompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death," the memo stated.
Read as......"Physical pain equivalent in intensity to the pain acompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, IMPAIRMENT OF BODILY FUNCTION, or even death amounts to torture" I reckon its bloody torture at times. I will leave the discussion about how our treatment by ACC equates to torture to you.
Personally I think making a man do something he has told you he can not do to the limits of his pain endurance and calling it comprehensive rehabilitation or a work trial is torture. Especially if the person forcing the man to do it is doing it so he can ultimately steal the mans insurance entitlements he is supposed to be guaranteed by law.
0

#3 User is offline   MadMac 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 179
  • Joined: 26-December 04

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

:wub: Hi everyone ...




Interesting ...




;)
0

#4 User is offline   MINI 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7725
  • Joined: 09-October 07

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

View Postjocko, on 15 June 2004 - 10:39 PM, said:

Here is the definition of pain doctor; "Physical pain amounting to torture must be equivalent in intensity to the pain accompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death," the memo stated.
Read as......"Physical pain equivalent in intensity to the pain acompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, IMPAIRMENT OF BODILY FUNCTION, or even death amounts to torture" I reckon its bloody torture at times. I will leave the discussion about how our treatment by ACC equates to torture to you.
Personally I think making a man do something he has told you he can not do to the limits of his pain endurance and calling it comprehensive rehabilitation or a work trial is torture. Especially if the person forcing the man to do it is doing it so he can ultimately steal the mans insurance entitlements he is supposed to be guaranteed by law.


Funny you should put this up at the time I am writing submissions for 'interest' and including how I was treated,trying to hold onto my job. (Accredited employer) Using the 'Kearney' Justices principles of course.

Mental torture sucks!!!

Mini
0

#5 User is offline   not their victim 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10829
  • Joined: 04-August 08

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

chronic pain in medical terms, is pain that continues where there has been an injury, therefore the natural processes of the original structure are damaged

chronic pain in acc terms, means you are imagining the pain, cos by now it should have gone

i have been diagnosed with chronic pain syndrome by the medical profession

every time i move, i have pain!!!

thats not chronic-its acute and mindblowing

and equates to torture.........

fantastic information found to discuss........

this all relates to the "torture" that prisoners in Guantanamo bay were subjected to.......?

a wee bit like what we go though to prove to acc , that we are injured
:huh:
0

#6 User is offline   MINI 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7725
  • Joined: 09-October 07

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

View Postnot their victim, on 23 January 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

chronic pain in medical terms, is pain that continues where there has been an injury, therefore the natural processes of the original structure are damaged

chronic pain in acc terms, means you are imagining the pain, cos by now it should have gone

i have been diagnosed with chronic pain syndrome by the medical profession

every time i move, i have pain!!!

thats not chronic-its acute and mindblowing

and equates to torture.........

fantastic information found to discuss........

this all relates to the "torture" that prisoners in Guantanamo bay were subjected to.......?

a wee bit like what we go though to prove to acc , that we are injured
:huh:


Not their victim

I reccommend that you see a Rheumatologist and see if your pain is not Fibromylgia.

This is covered by ACC, but I would pick a specialist of my own and pay them out of my own pocket until I get the outcome. Then ask ACC for the reimbursement if you want to use it.

Just thinking out loud in case you havent been down this track.

Mini
0

#7 User is offline   not their victim 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10829
  • Joined: 04-August 08

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

View PostMINI, on 23 January 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Not their victim

I reccommend that you see a Rheumatologist and see if your pain is not Fibromylgia.

This is covered by ACC, but I would pick a specialist of my own and pay them out of my own pocket until I get the outcome. Then ask ACC for the reimbursement if you want to use it.

Just thinking out loud in case you havent been down this track.

Mini


thanks Mini
been there done that......
its the 9 month initial delay in treatment (you know the one stamped urgent all over it), that has set up the damage, then another minor incident......reactivated the lot!(concussion)
once injured,with balance problems, falling over doesnt help uffff........
all claims covered.........
Im up for a very interesting week...and so looking forward to it!
just being a little bit cautious at the mo, as in some things are better with private messages...........avoid prying eyes lol
have just seen some interesting footage re trauma medicine on tonights news, about to find some back up info...........
love peace and blessings
0

#8 User is offline   MINI 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7725
  • Joined: 09-October 07

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

View Postnot their victim, on 23 January 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

thanks Mini
been there done that......
its the 9 month initial delay in treatment (you know the one stamped urgent all over it), that has set up the damage, then another minor incident......reactivated the lot!(concussion)
once injured,with balance problems, falling over doesnt help uffff........
all claims covered.........
Im up for a very interesting week...and so looking forward to it!
just being a little bit cautious at the mo, as in some things are better with private messages...........avoid prying eyes lol
have just seen some interesting footage re trauma medicine on tonights news, about to find some back up info...........
love peace and blessings


Ok then, Good Luck in the week coming.

MMM some things have to be private when you are fighting for your rights.

Mini
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users