Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IOA Questions

#1 User is offline   rodger 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

I've recently had an IOA(two meetings). I now have a draft report, and work detail sheets. I've asked the report not be released until I've gone over it for errors etc.
My problem is that I have a uni qualification/degree, and all the work type options listed don't match my degree; they would require a different 3 year degree, the work detail sheets only say "a relevant tertiary qualification" is necessary but doesn't state which one.
The pay scales are flawed aswell, because they range from quite low to medium/bit higher(relative to what i was earning) but they dont factor in that some people will have a phd while i dont, so it's unrealistic id be able to get the same income from the listed jobs.

should jobs i'm not qualified to do be on the work type options (acc could provide training eg uni so i could do the jobs listed), or should they not be on the list?

#2 User is offline   Tattoo 

• Pip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

One approach is to pose those questions to the occupational assessor via your case manager, such as:
  • the qualifications required,
  • what further training would be required to gain those, or,
  • if they consider you sufficiently qualified, provide a rationale and where in the range of income you could reasonably be expected to earn.
Important: the IRP (My Plan) should list all the services you require to meet your needs whether or not ACC is liable to provide those services. Then ACC should specify which services it will provide (a requirement of the legislation (ref: section 77 of the current Act).

The IRP becomes a reviewable decision once agreed to or finalised (deemed)

#3 User is offline   rodger 

• Pip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

Tattoo, on Jun 26 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

One approach is to pose those questions to the occupational assessor via your case manager, such as:
  • the qualifications required,
  • what further training would be required to gain those, or,
  • if they consider you sufficiently qualified, provide a rationale and where in the range of income you could reasonably be expected to earn.
Important: the IRP (My Plan) should list all the services you require to meet your needs whether or not ACC is liable to provide those services. Then ACC should specify which services it will provide (a requirement of the legislation (ref: section 77 of the current Act).

The IRP becomes a reviewable decision once agreed to or finalised (deemed)

Somehow I've been given the responsibility of finding out all this. I can email my IOA assesor directly, He has given me the draft to edit prior to it being finalized.
He doesn't know what qualifications I'd need, or what papers i'd have to do; he doesn't really know much in regard to these job types.
My case manager and assesor are saying that i don't have to be qualified for the work types to be on the report, and it doesn't matter; If i was to look at doing those jobs in the future they'd have to look at what training i needed.
The salary bands are all taken from career services website...
I don't have a current IRP at the moment, my old one was just maintaining employment and has expired, getting a new one after IOA is done.

#4 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

rodger, on Jun 26 2009, 01:18 PM, said:

I don't have a current IRP at the moment, my old one was just maintaining employment and has expired, getting a new one after IOA is done.

Your old one isn't expired and why are they not attempting to maintain your employment now.

the corporation can modify the plan at any time after the assessments have been completed. A good idea would tell us what are your incapacity's as this will give the experience posters an in site what ACC are trying to do.

#5 User is offline   Fighter for Justice 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:09 PM

Rodger, I too have been put thru IOA. I had two meetings. I am not impressed with the Report (uncompleted) that I got from my ACC CM. The IOA lists jobs which I do not believe I am qualified for, and that I would not be able to do for 35 hours per week. I do not believe that the university papers I passed over many years would qualify me to do these jobs either. I have passed approx a bit over 1/4 of a particular Degree.

My IOA refused to give me a copy of her proposed IOA Report before it was sent to ACC. You have been very lucky to have been given your Draft IOA.

I am unsure what to suggest - but suggest that you point out in writing that the jobs types suggested by IOA require different skills that those you have, that the pay rates vary enormously and that your existing qualification (university degree) does not qualify you to do these particular jobs in the real world. As a last resort you could always review the IOA Report and its implementation!

In my case ACC are using university study I did over many, many years against me - yet ACC have never paid for anything to do with my university study ever!
I have a Medical Report stating that I cannot work for 35 hours per week. Despite this ACC had me on the exit path - even before they cut my ERC for failing to sign a Consent Form!

Good luck!

#6 User is offline   rodger 

• Pip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

doppelganger, on Jun 26 2009, 05:47 PM, said:

Your old one isn't expired and why are they not attempting to maintain your employment now.

the corporation can modify the plan at any time after the assessments have been completed. A good idea would tell us what are your incapacity's as this will give the experience posters an in site what ACC are trying to do.

Hi, thanks for help so far.

Employment has been terminated with prior employer. IRP still is to maintain employment, altho I'm not employed anymore..nt sure how that works.
incapacity is an injury that's lasted over 6 months, and undiagnosed. Given IOA doesn't look at injury (i understand if i had lost an arm it would have to)

been going over the draft IOA, It's a mess. . Assessor hasn't a clue about what fields are related to my degree, all the jobs he has listed require different degrees(even to be registered with regulatory body, which requires a specific different degree) . He thinks because i did 7th form stats, i have the skills to be a statistician (which on career services website is said to require a uni degree in maths..)

The salary bands he uses from career services website are all out of context and incorrect, the website has experience related salary levels which he ignores and instead he uses for example the salary for someone with 10 years experience... even when he says i'd be entry level into that roll.

Can he list jobs that require a whole degree worth of training? to me it's unlikely acc will fund this, and so is really quite pointless listing them.

#7 User is offline   rodger 

• Pip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

Fighter for Justice, on Jun 26 2009, 06:09 PM, said:

Rodger, I too have been put thru IOA. I had two meetings. I am not impressed with the Report (uncompleted) that I got from my ACC CM. The IOA lists jobs which I do not believe I am qualified for, and that I would not be able to do for 35 hours per week. I do not believe that the university papers I passed over many years would qualify me to do these jobs either. I have passed approx a bit over 1/4 of a particular Degree.

My IOA refused to give me a copy of her proposed IOA Report before it was sent to ACC. You have been very lucky to have been given your Draft IOA.

I am unsure what to suggest - but suggest that you point out in writing that the jobs types suggested by IOA require different skills that those you have, that the pay rates vary enormously and that your existing qualification (university degree) does not qualify you to do these particular jobs in the real world. As a last resort you could always review the IOA Report and its implementation!

In my case ACC are using university study I did over many, many years against me - yet ACC have never paid for anything to do with my university study ever!
I have a Medical Report stating that I cannot work for 35 hours per week. Despite this ACC had me on the exit path - even before they cut my ERC for failing to sign a Consent Form!

Good luck!

I specifically stated (in writing) under the privacy act that assessor may not pass on any info regarding me until i had seen draft and reviewed it. He has been quite reasonable and good to work with, so quite likely i've got a good IOA'r.. the report is rather inaccurate on the other hand.

#8 User is offline   Tattoo 

• Pip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:32 PM

Just remember the purpose of the IOA and the initial medical assessment is so ACC can prepare the individual rehab plan (My Plan), which becomes a reviewable decision once either agreed to or finalised. So if you cant get your concerns addressed before then, you have the option to review the IRP decision.

Reviewing an IRP decision usually leads to mediation as a steps in the dispute process, which can be a better forum to resolve these types of disputes.

#9 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

rodger, on Jun 26 2009, 04:14 PM, said:

Hi, thanks for help so far.

Employment has been terminated with prior employer.

Why???????

IRP still is to maintain employment, altho I'm not employed anymore..nt sure how that works. Should be to obtain employment.

incapacity is an injury that's lasted over 6 months, and undiagnosed.

Given IOA doesn't look at injury (i understand if i had lost an arm it would have to) If you got head injury and are looking at obtaining to work they need to take into account of injury.

Have you got a head injuty?? If so then this needs to be taken into account.

been going over the draft IOA, It's a mess. . Assessor hasn't a clue about what fields are related to my degree, all the jobs he has listed require different degrees(even to be registered with regulatory body, which requires a specific different degree) . He thinks because i did 7th form stats, i have the skills to be a statistician (which on career services website is said to require a uni degree in maths..)

Check out to see if the assessor has a qualification. being a member of an organization is not a qualification If they have no qualification then they are only people off the street.

The salary bands he uses from career services website are all out of context and incorrect, the website has experience related salary levels which he ignores and instead he uses for example the salary for someone with 10 years experience... even when he says I'd be entry level into that roll.

Can he list jobs that require a whole degree worth of training? to me it's unlikely acc will fund this, and so is really quite pointless listing them.

have they listed the jobs that you are qualified at???????????????????????

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users