• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moving to Australia What are the optons

#1 User is offline   sv5000 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hi People,
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer or enlighten me. After 10 years on this sucky system my family have decided to up roots and move to Australia in the New Year. I have seen many times on the forum people that appear to be living in Aussie but still on ACC. is this correct, can this happen.
I am currently stillr eceiving ERC weekly but wonder what my options would be when I move over the ditch.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the options are if any.

#2 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

You are quite entitled to go anywhere you please throughout the whole world while receiving your ACC earnings compensation. You are not a prisoner because you are injured and the ACC is still an insurance policy where they have a liability to fund the costs of the injury no matter where you are.

You will still need to be subject to the ACC is right to rehabilitate you so they can enjoy the results of a reduced liability should the rehabilitation be successful. For example if you are on a rehabilitation plan that plan will need to be maintained. What the ACC are afraid of of course is that you might go and get another job while still receiving ACC without them knowing. What they usually do is to treat people that are overseas with great suspicion with the result that every single one at some stage will undergo an investigation by way of private investigation.

#3 User is offline   sv5000 

• Pip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for that. I'm in rehab now and I have had the Fraud allegations and trials etc a year or so back. I won but they didn't like it. If I'm doing rehab now what would be the issues with me moving away, would they contract someone in Aussie to continue the rehab?

#4 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

Just let the ACC know that you are leaving the country so that your file will be processed by the overseas unit. They would then arrange for the continuance of your rehabilitation plan. Try to maintain good communications and provide them with more information than they actually need so they will not require you to come back to New Zealand for any pointless assessment.

#5 User is offline   gaffa09 

• Pip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

please check on the facts ,

I think you have to return once a year for medical well it used to be like that

there are members living in Aussie so maybe they can advise

plesae aussie members can you help this member

#6 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

Anywhere in the world you can get a suitable medical certificate to confirm ongoing incapacity except for. ACC will try and con claimants to do all manner of different things in order to inconvenience them and control them. Overall it is best to get the ACC to agree to sensible rehabilitation plans rather than just hoping for the best. If they do not agree to a reasonable rehabilitation plan, litigate.

#7 User is offline   Sparrow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

Once again Tomo, WRONG ADVICE

SV500,
Once overseas your rehab comes to a halt. All ACC do is provide weekly compo and if you are in O Z, they send over a corrupt team to check up on you about once a year. \PM Gloria as she will know.

You can provide your 3monthly medicals from over there.
Good luck. Watch your back even in OZ

#8 User is offline   Stumpy 

• Pip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:33 PM

View PostSparrow, on Nov 26 2008, 09:05 PM, said:

Once again Tomo, WRONG ADVICE

SV500,
Once overseas your rehab comes to a halt. All ACC do is provide weekly compo and if you are in O Z, they send over a corrupt team to check up on you about once a year. \PM Gloria as she will know.

You can provide your 3monthly medicals from over there.
Good luck. Watch your back even in OZ

I agree with Sparrow. Yes the ever right Mr Tank Engine Thomas is wrong again. Acc will only pay your ERC if you have it paid into a N.Z. bank account. They will not pay for any rehabilitation, medicines, physio etc. Work it out, with the exchange rate and commissions on overseas transfers etc. to see how much you loose. That is of course is without having to pay for everything outside N.Z. If they are not happy with your progress they can recall you to N.Z. at anytime for a series of examinations, both physical and pchycological etc. Yo will also have to pay your own tax in Australia if that is the country you choose to live in. That means either provisional tax or a large tax bill once a year.

Think carefully of your reasons for moving out of N.Z. If they are valid and it's what you want then go for it after very careful consideration. I would be the last one to advise either for or against it as I think it is a personal decision. I would however advise very very careful examination of the situatin before you make the move.

Stumpy B)

#9 User is offline   sv5000 

• Pip

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

How do I get hold of Gloria, are there any Aussie claimants that would have a chat with me. There are no if's but's or maybe's on whether I move or not, I have to due to family situation.

#10 User is offline   Gloria Mitchell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:40 AM

Hey sv5000 I have emailed you.

Cheers Gloria.

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

Welcome sc5000

Yes incorrect - Acc will NOT arrange for continuance of your rehabilitation plan (as Thomo said). It is up to you to fund any rehabilitation as ACC will not pay for it out of NZ. So bear in mind anything on your rehab plan you pay for it yourself whilst overseas.

So listen to other members above. You do not have to return to NZ for medical certificates, but I believe ACC try this on. You can be called back to NZ for any assessments anytime.

Good luck with it all.

#12 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

What part of legislation cancels entitlements because someone leaves New Zealand?

You most certainly do not need to return to New Zealand for medical certificates as they can be produced by authorised medical professionals all over the world. ACC still have a liability for earnings compensation, medical treatment and such like so why are some people assuming ACC can cancel entitlements while overseas. I am quite sure that the average New Zealander would be outraged if any legislation was ever prepared consistent with the above assumptions. Perhaps some buying into ACC wishes/abuse/convenience rather than legislation.

#13 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

I think you will find that this is referring to people who are actually injured overseas but still have an entitlement to claim, rather than claimants of the more traditional sense who wish to leave New Zealand in order to live overseas. The sections do not describe a diminishment ACC liability for such claimants who choose to move to and live in a different country.

If legislation provided the ACC with a discount that has been imagined them the right to sue the person who caused the accident would then be restored the moment we leave the country.

Injured people are not made prisoners to New Zealand by the ACC act.

#14 User is offline   sv5000 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

Thank you all for yuor replies. They have been much appreciated. I have spoken with Gloria and she has given me some good advice so I need to contact my CM and give them the good news...LOL

#15 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

sv5000 The purpose of this site is to share information and assist others with similar problems as yourself so they will have robust information to rely upon. Was Gloria able to provide you with the relevant legislation and how ACC are required to interpret that legislation?

What we have to be careful of is promoting popularly held beliefs that have been developed by way of ACC propaganda. Sometimes people have accepted less than their entitlements and are embarrassed to face up to this reality to the extent that they behaved like the abused even defending the abuser.

#16 User is offline   gaffa09 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

Thank you all for yuor replies. They have been much appreciated. I have spoken with Gloria and she has given me some good advice so I need to contact my CM and give them the good news...LOL

Gloria will be of great help to you and all the best

Just for my interest do you still have to return once a year for assessments or is that gorn now .
I was inquireing with ACc some years back as i wanted to live their

#17 User is offline   sv5000 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

ACC can request you come back for an assessment evidently but they also send a Dr once a year to Brisbane to do assessments as well, well that is what I understand Gloria to have said. Anyway, coming back for assessments is ok with me, I just want to do things right. All going well I should be off the system within the next 6 months anyway after 10+ years on it. But as my wife has been posted to Australia on a minimum 1 year contract I feel we have to go and give it a try and don't see why my injury should prevent us from doing so. Which seems to be the general concensus on the forum as well...LOL
Thank you all so much..

#18 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

Legislation does not provide any specific time criteria for reassessments however everyone must make themselves available for whenever reassessments are deemed to be reasonable. If example a medical professional was to say there was no possibility of physical recovery and that the injury was permanent then it would be completely unreasonable for the ACC to ask for any more assessments whatsoever. This means that the ACC could only assess for new occupations utilising residual capacity. Once the ACC has the initial occupational assessment and there is no actual viable rehabilitation plan and that the ACC exhausted three years of rehabilitation funding then effectively the claim is treated much the same as a S60 permanent incapacity under the 1982 legislation. Legislation prevents ACC attempting to rehabilitate them throughout the remainder of your life and also protects the levy payer from the ACC continuing to waste levy funds when rehabilitation is not possible.

ACC are in the habit of chasing people of their entitlements by harassing them and making the maintenance of the entitlement too expensive and too stressful. This is why it is best to that full disclosure and memorandum of understanding is reached with the ACC case management so as you have a rock solid document by which the ACC cannot start playing games in order to chase you away which will no doubt be at the most inconvenient time.

The bottom line is that if the injury permanently incapacitated person from any forms of occupation and then earnings compensation will continue until retirement age regardless as to wherever you live in the world.

#19 User is offline   Gloria Mitchell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:24 PM

View PostAlan Thomas, on Nov 27 2008, 05:29 PM, said:

The bottom line is that if the injury permanently incapacitated person from any forms of occupation and then earnings compensation will continue until retirement age regardless as to wherever you live in the world.

Well there are those, you know Mr Thomas, who got diddled out of their erc entitlement overseas by simple stealth and lies on the part of their insurance company. n When they finally win you will hear about them.

Anyways....Gaffa, they don't seem to be doing that yearly thingy now.....nope. You just have your gp sign you off on an Australian workers comp Med Cert......then fax it to your cm.

No you don't get pharmaceuticals reimbursed, you get no home help or personal cares or physio treatments or any treatments or anything else except for erc into a NZ bank gross dollars and you pay tax here.

Give me that deal anyday mate. The lifestyle over here is great IMHO.

Its bloody hot at the moment.....there are extreme weather patterns all over the world however and I would rather have a few months of aircon cooling than months and months of heating. Again IMHO it is much easier on the injured areas than the cold.

cheers on another beautiful day down under in paradise. Gloria.

#20 User is offline   MINI 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:42 PM

Gloria

As you are aware I have family and friends in Aussie and only came home to work on my ACC entitlements.

When enquiring as to entitlements in Aussie I was told by Technical Officer, that I would still be entitled to house work help, but that I would not get pool reimbursement and medical reimbursement if I were to return there.

It is more the exchange rate I would worry about. I am just wondering if your ACC income comes down below the rate in Aussie that Centrelink wouldnt pick up the disabiliy social rehab bit for the pool or the need to keep independent. It would certainly be in there best interests and NZ and Aussie do have agreement on disability entitlements. So maybe just maybe it is amatter of getting the centrelink part from over there and ACC part from over here.

Makes sence..... will wait until I am closer to going next year then work it out.

Cheers Mini

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users