ACCforum: MP backs inquiry into $6m conflict claim - ACCforum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MP backs inquiry into $6m conflict claim Corruption?

#1 User is offline   mixit 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

Michael Owen
Political Reporter

Adelaide Advertiser
16 July 2008

Serious conflict of interest alegations levelled at a Workcover board member during a parliamentary inquiry should be fully investigated, a state MP says.

Parliament's Statutory Authorities Review Committee, inquiring this week into the Workcover Corporation. heard evidence that board member Sandra De Poi "has a conflict of interest".

Ms De Poi is managing director of De Poi Consultancy Services, an Adelaide-based workplace injury management and occuptional rehabilitation provider.

Government records show that since the 2004-2005 financial year, her company has received more than $6.2 million in contracts throught Workcover.

Ms De Poi, who last year was romantically linked with Labor backbencher Leon Bignell, yesterday was in meetings and unavailable for comment.

But Liberal Upper House MP Rob Lucas yeasterday said claims made about Ms De Poi by construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union officer Les Birch had to be "thoroughly" investigated.

Mr Birch told a parliamentary committee hearing that Ms De Poi should be removed from the Work-Cover board.
"How is it not a conflict of interest to have on the borad a person who obtains around 12 per cent of all rehabilition provider services in this state?" Mr Birch asked.

"The reality is...that the proprietor of that organisation has a very good relationship with politicains in the Labor Party", Mr Birch said. "I suggest that that is probably one of the main ressons she gets such a huge amount of work."
Mr Birch indicated to the committee he had copies of correspondence with Workcover and Ms De Poi outlining concerns about the issues.

"He ( Mr Birch) has agreed to provide copies of all such correspondence to the committee," Mr Lucas said.

"While reserving a final view on the accuracy of these serious claims, it is my view that they must be investigated by the Statutory Authorities Review Committee and Workcover Management and the Rann Government must also respond to these claims."

Industrial Relations Minister Michael Wright yesterday said Ms De Poi was appointed to the board because of her experience in rehabilitation.
"The management of the transactions( between WorkCover and De Poi Consultancy Services) is a matter for the WorkCover board."

#2 User is offline   mixit 

• Pip

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

Serious WorkCover claims must be investigated

Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Evidence to a Parliamentary Inquiry alleging conflict of interest and favouritism in contracts being awarded by WorkCover had to be investigated thoroughly, Liberal Member of the Legislative Council Rob Lucas said today.

“A number of very serious claims had been made by witnesses at recent hearings of the Legislative Council Statutory Authorities Review Committee,” Mr Lucas said.

Mr L Birch: “…for many years it has been well known that De Poi Consultancy Services, which provides rehabilitation services, has not been the best organisation; in actual fact, I would not touch that company with a barge pole, to be quite frank. The reality is that she [Sandra De Poi] sits on the board and, as I said before, I believe she has a conflict of interest. She has a very good relationship with Ruth Mitchell from Employers Mutual (EML), and she has relationships with people in the Labor Party. I suggest to you that that is probably one of the main reasons she gets such a huge amount of work… …

Hon RI Lucas: “…Is it your evidence to this Committee that case managers of EML have said to you directly that they have been directed by Ruth Mitchell to use Sandra De Poi for certain –

Mr L Birch: “That’s right.”
(Hansard, 7 July 2008, Les Birch, Workers Compensation Advocate, CFMEU (SA Division)

Ms R Mckenzie-Ferguson: “Yes, certain providers are favoured by WorkCover and EML. They seem to be very well represented on the WorkCover Board.

Hon RI Lucas: “Are you referring to Sandy De Poi’s company?

Ms R Mckenzie-Ferguson: “Yes.”
(Hansard, 14 July 2008, Rosemary Mckenzie-Ferguson, Founder, Work Injured Resource Connection)

Ms A Costa: “…we have an industry that, despite a number of reviews of rehabilitation, still functions on favouritism and there is no independence in selection of providers, despite what we hear.”
(Hansard, 7 July 2008, Andrea Costa, Rehabilitation Provider, Costa Pericles Consultancy)

“It should be noted that the last three Annual Reports of WorkCover report that Ms De Poi’s company received a total $6,237,809 in contracts through WorkCover,” he said.

“In his evidence to the meeting of the Statutory Authorities Review Committee, Mr Les Birch indicated he had copies of correspondence with WorkCover and Ms De Poi outlining his concerns about these issues.

“Mr Birch has agreed to provide copies of all such correspondence to the Committee.

“Whilst reserving a final view on the accuracy of these serious claims, it is my view that they must be investigated by the Statutory Authorities Review Committee and WorkCover management and the Rann Government must also respond to these claims.

“In particular, have these concerns ever been raised with Premier Rann or Industrial Relations Minister Michael Wright and, if so, what action did they take?”

http://www.roblucas.com.au/news/default.as...icle&ID=225

I was at the Committee meeting and I heard it all with my own ears ;)

mixit

#3 User is offline   mixit 

• Pip

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

Hi All,

LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Numbers 22 and 34 for Wednesday 23 JULY 2008 are interesting.

Mixit

No. 64

LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL

NOTICES AND ORDERS OF THE DAY

TUESDAY 22 JULY 2008

Orders of the Day: Government Business -

Development (Regulated Trees) Amendment Bill (No. 8): in Committee - clause 4 - (September 11, October 18, May 6).

Environment Protection (Miscellaneous) Amendment Bill (No. 113): in Committee.

Controlled Substances (Controlled Drugs, Precursors and Cannabis) Amendment Bill (No. 128): adjourned debate on second reading - (May 7, July 3) - (The Hon. R. P. Wortley).

Classification (Publication, Film and Computer Games) (Classification Process) Amendment Bill (No. 129): adjourned debate on second reading - (May 7) - (The Hon. D. W. Ridgway).

Mental Health Bill (No. 131): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 4) - (The Hon. J.M.A. Lensink).

Plastic Shopping Bags (Waste Avoidance) Bill (No. 136): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 18) - (The Hon. J.M.A. Lensink).

Statutes Amendment (Budget 2008) Bill (No. 137): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 18) - (The Hon. R. I. Lucas).

WEDNESDAY 23 JULY 2008

Notices of Motion: Private Business -

The Hon. R. P. Wortley to move - That the Report of the Natural Resources Committee on Natural Resource Management on Kangaroo Island, be noted.

The Hon. R. P. Wortley to move - That the Report of the Select Committee on the Selection Process for the Principal at the Elizabeth Vale Primary School, be noted.

The Hon. S. M. Kanck to move - That she have leave to introduce a Bill for an Act to amend the Controlled Substances Act 1984.

Orders of the Day: Private Business -

Select Committee on Collection of Property Taxes by State and Local Government, including Sewerage Charges by SA Water: Report to be brought up.

Select Committee on Pricing, Refining, Storage and Supply of Fuel in South Australia: Report to be brought up.

Select Committee on Allegedly Unlawful Practices Raised in the Auditor-General’s Report, 2003-2004: Report to be brought up.

Select Committee on the Atkinson/Ashbourne/Clarke Affair: Report to be brought up.

Select Committee on Families SA: Report to be brought up.

Budget and Finance Committee: Report to be brought up.

Select Committee on SA Water: Report to be brought up.

Select Committee on Proposed Sale and Redevelopment of the Glenside Hospital Site: Report to be brought up.

Select Committee on Impact of Peak Oil on South Australia: Report to be brought up.

Select Committee on Staffing, Resourcing and Efficiency of South Australia Police: Report to be brought up.

Criminal Law (Sentencing) (Abolition of Suspended Sentences for Subsequent Serious Offences) Amendment Bill (No. 132): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 18) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)1.

Electoral (Advertising Cost) Amendment Bill (No. 133): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 18) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)5.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. M. C. Parnell - That the Legislative Council notes -

I.
The following Actions under Objective 2 of the State Cycling Strategy (entitled Safety in Numbers) -

(a)
include in all new urban road projects or road upgrades safe, direct and attractive cycling facilities that are planned, designed, constructed and maintained in accordance with “Austroads, Guide to Traffic Engineering Part 14 - Bicycles”; and

(B)
extend and improve cycling routes along dedicated public transport corridors (e.g. Glenelg Tramway and the Willunga-Marino Rail Corridor);

II.
State Government investment of over $500,000 so far on creating an uninterrupted cycle pathway between Glenelg and the City as part of the City to Glenelg Tramway Cycling Route project;

III.
Strong support for a shared use pathway for pedestrians and cyclists across South Road as part of the public consultation on the South Road Upgrade Glenelg Tram Overpass project;

IV.
The need for major transport infrastructure in response to declining fuel supplies and the need to reduce greenhouse pollution, to include appropriate facilities for cyclists and pedestrians;

V.
Poorer public health outcomes in the western suburbs of Adelaide, emphasising the importance of providing active transport opportunities; and

VI.
The negative impact on traffic flow along South Road if an on-demand street level crossing is provided to cyclists and pedestrians to enable safe passage across South Road;

and calls on the State Government to ensure that the proposed tram overpass across South Road at Black Forest includes a shared use path for cyclists and pedestrians along the elevated platform tram corridor - (June 18) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola).

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. M. C. Parnell - That the Legislative Council notes -

I.
The open letter sent to Premier Mike Rann from a group of prominent Australians calling on the Premier to ensure that opportunities are fully explored to integrate Port Adelaide’s maritime heritage and character into the Port Waterfront Redevelopment in an enlightened way;

II.
The importance of historic working boatyards and related marine heritage as a tangible and integral element of the sense of place of Port Adelaide and LeFevre Peninsula;

and calls on the Premier to -

I.
Allow the three remaining historic working boatyards in Jenkins Street, Birkenhead, another year of operation beyond 30 June 2008 to enable a thorough Burra Charter assessment of their significance; and

II.
Ensure greater recognition of the importance of Port Adelaide’s marine heritage in the overall Port Waterfront Redevelopment - (June 18) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter).

Marble Hill (Protection) Bill (No. 134): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 18) - (The Hon. R. P. Wortley)10.

The Hon. J.M.A. Lensink to move - That the Regulations under the Public and Environmental Health Act 1987 concerning Controlled Notifiable Diseases, made on 1 May 2008 and laid on the Table of this Council on 6 May 2008, be disallowed.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. J.M.A. Lensink - That the Environment, Resources and Development Committee inquire into the environmental impacts of the proposed desalination plants at Port Stanvac and Port Bonython, and in particular -

I.
the introduction of additional salts and chemicals into the marine environment;

II.
the adequacy of tidal movements to disperse brine and chemicals;

III.
the potential impact on a range of marine flora and fauna;

IV.
the potential impact on commercial and recreational fishing sectors;

V.
the potential impact of contamination leachate from the location; and

VI.
any other matter - (June 18) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter).

The Hon. D. W. Ridgway to move - That this Council acknowledges the important contribution the Vietnamese Veterans’ Association of South Australia makes in commemorating and remembering significant dates in the history of the former Republic of South Vietnam.

Food (Labelling - Genetically Modified Products) Amendment Bill (No. 122): adjourned debate on second reading - (April 30) - (The Hon. B. V. Finnigan)4.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. D.G.E. Hood - That the Social Development Committee inquire into and report upon the adequacy and appropriateness of laws and practices relating to the sale and consumption of alcohol and, in particular, with respect to -

I.
Whether those laws and practices need to be modified to better deal with criminal and other anti-social behaviour arising from the consumption of alcohol;

II.
The health risks of excessive consumption of alcohol, including -

(a)
“binge drinking”; and

(B)
foetal alcohol syndrome;

III.
The economic cost to South Australia in dealing with the consequences of alcohol abuse; and

IV.
Any other relevant matters - (April 19, June 18) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola).

Development (Political Donations) Amendment Bill (No. 114): adjourned debate on second reading - (April 9) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)5.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. A. M. Bressington - That this Council recognises and condemns the intimidation and harassment that is being perpetrated by lawyers representing WorkCover - (April 9) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola).

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. C. V. Schaefer - That the Regulations under the Fisheries Act 2007 concerning Pipi Units, made on 13 December 2007 and laid on the Table of this Council on 12 February 2008, be disallowed - (June 18) - (The Hon. C. V. Schaefer).

Statutes Amendment (Minimum Sentences) Bill (No. 135): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 18) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)1.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. R. P. Wortley - That the Report of the Natural Resources Committee on Eyre Peninsula Natural Resource Management Board, be noted - (April 2) - (The Hon. C. V. Schaefer).

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. M. C. Parnell - That the Legislative Council notes with sadness the recent passing of Professor Peter Cullen and acknowledges the great contribution he made to South Australia - (April 2, 9) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter).

Protection of Public Participation Bill (No. 101): adjourned debate on second reading - (February 27) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)5.

Constitution (Casual Vacancies) Amendment Bill (No. 102): adjourned debate on second reading - (February 27) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)4.

Tobacco Products Regulation (A Smoke-Free Adelaide) Amendment Bill (No. 103): adjourned debate on second reading - (February 27, April 2) - (Minister for Emergency Services)8.

Genetically Modified Crops Management (Right to Damages) Amendment Bill (No. 93): adjourned debate on second reading - (November 21, March 5) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola)5.

South Australian Motor Sport (Construction of Permanent Buildings) Amendment Bill (No. 84): adjourned debate on second reading - (November 14) - (The Hon. R. P. Wortley)5.

Tobacco Products Regulation (Prohibition on Smoking in Children’s Recreational Parks) Amendment Bill (No. 85): adjourned debate on second reading - (November 14, March 5) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola)5.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. M. C. Parnell - That the General Regulations under the Survey Act 1992 made on 30 August 2007 and laid on the Table of this Council on 11 September 2007, be disallowed - (November 14) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter).

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. A. M. Bressington - That this Council condemns -

I.
The practices of the WorkCover Corporation in both the administration of the fund and in the treatment of injured workers and the lack of support and rehabilitation for those workers;

II.
The Premier for backing down from his call for a Royal Commission or similar wide-ranging inquiry into allegations of corruption by WorkCover in May 1997, whilst Leader of the Opposition; and

III.
Other parties for allowing WorkCover to languish in dysfunction since that time - (November 14, 21, February 27) - (The Hon. R. D. Lawson).

Bail (Discretion) Amendment Bill (No. 81): in Committee1.

Waterworks (Making of Restrictions) Amendment Bill (No. 69): adjourned debate on second reading - (September 26, November 14, February 13) - (The Hon. C. V. Schaefer)3.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. N. Xenophon - That the Statutory Authorities Review Committee inquire into the effectiveness of the Teachers’ Registration Board in the exercise of its functions and powers, with respect to -

I.
The welfare and best interests of children as its primary consideration in the performance of its functions;

II.
The manner and process by which it ensures that a teacher registration system and professional standards are maintained to safeguard the public interest in there being a teaching profession whose members are competent educators and fit and proper persons to have the care of children;

III.
The composition of the Board;

IV.
The manner and process by which evidence is gathered and presented to the Board, including the representation of parties to proceedings; and

V.
Any other relevant matters - (September 26) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter).

Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Bill (No. 64): adjourned debate on second reading - (September 12) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola)2.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. B. V. Finnigan - That the Report of the Statutory Authorities Review Committee on an Inquiry into the Medical Board of South Australia, be noted - (September 12, 26, October 24, February 13) - (The Hon. S. M. Kanck).

Statutes Amendment (Play Tracking Technology) Bill (No. 58): adjourned debate on second reading - (August 1) - (The Hon. B. V. Finnigan)2.

Statutes Amendment (Location of Gaming Venues) Bill (No. 59): adjourned debate on second reading - (August 1) - (The Hon. D.G.E. Hood)2.

Summary Offences (Medical Examination of Suspects) Amendment Bill (No. 60): adjourned debate on second reading - (August 1) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola)2.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. R. I. Lucas - That this Council condemns the Rann Government for its arrogance and inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour - (August 1) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola).

Independent Commission Against Crime and Corruption Bill (No. 61): in Committee4.

Parliamentary Remuneration (Basic Salary Determinations) Amendment Bill (No. 50): adjourned debate on second reading - (July 25) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola)5.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. M. C. Parnell - That this Council notes the covering letter accompanying the recently released South Australian Greenhouse Strategy - (August 1) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola).

Education (Parental Notification of Non-attendance) Amendment Bill (No. 51): adjourned debate on second reading - (July 25) - (The Hon. B. V. Finnigan)1.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. R. I. Lucas - That this Council notes -

I.
That the Legislative Assembly in Western Australia, on 21 June 2007, agreed to the recommendations of a Privileges Committee into the leaking of a Chairman’s draft report of a Parliamentary Committee without authorisation of the Committee.

II.
That the Legislative Assembly -

(a)
found the Chair of the Committee guilty of contempt of Parliament in that he had deliberately disclosed confidential proceedings of the Committee by releasing a Chairman’s draft report without authorisation;

(B)
disqualified the Chair of the Committee from membership of any Parliamentary Committee for the remainder of the 37th Parliament;

©
suspended the Chair of the Committee from the service of the House for a period of seven sitting weeks or 21 sitting days, whichever is the longer;

(d)
banned the Chair of the Committee from entering the Parliamentary precincts until the above suspension period had expired.

III.
That the contents of this motion be conveyed to the Hon Russell Wortley, M.L.C., Chairman of the Select Committee on the Atkinson/Ashbourne/Clarke Affair - (July 25) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola).

Summary Offences (Piercing and Scarification) Amendment Bill (No. 43): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 20, July 25) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola)1.

Tobacco Products Regulation (Outdoor Eating Areas) Amendment Bill (No. 34): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 6, September 12, November 21) - (The Hon. J.S.L. Dawkins)1.

Roxby Downs (Indenture Ratification) (Application of Acts) Amendment Bill (No. 36): adjourned debate on second reading - (June 6, September 26, October 24) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)5.

Summary Offences (Schoolies Events) Amendment Bill (No. 52): adjourned debate on second reading - (July 25, September 12) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)3.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. M. C. Parnell - That the Regulations under the Native Vegetation Act 1991 concerning Clearance Exemptions, made on 29 March 2007 and laid on the Table of this Council on 24 April 2007, be disallowed - (August 1) - (The Hon. B. V. Finnigan).

The Hon. D. W. Ridgway to move - That this Council condemns the Premier for supporting the Federal Labor policy at the recent Labor conference (to ban individual workplace agreements) and notes that -

I.
in the first twelve months of the operation of WorkChoices, 24,606 South Australians have already made the work choice of brokering and signing an individual workplace agreement with their employer enshrining mutually agreeable flexibility into their employer employee relationship;

II.
the resources sector has identified that individual workplace agreements provide efficiency gains of between 25-30% in the mining industry; and

III.
in the resources sector, individual workplace agreements have provided for significant wage improvements with a premium of 30% compared to awards;

And calls on the Premier to join with his counterpart, Western Australian Premier, Alan Carpenter, to publicly condemn the Federal Labor anti-AWA stand because of its potential impact on South Australia’s burgeoning mining industry and other workers’ free choice.

Statutes Amendment (Gambling Regulation) Bill (No. 19): adjourned debate on second reading - (May 30, June 6) - (The Hon. J. M. Gazzola)2.

Adjourned debate on motion of the Hon. S. M. Kanck - That the Regulations under the Upper South East Dryland Salinity and Flood Management Act 2002, concerning Project Works Scheme, made on 10 May 2007 and laid on the Table of this Council on 29 May 2007, be disallowed - (May 30) - (The Hon. D. W. Ridgway).

Criminal Law Consolidation (Reasonable Chastisement of Children) Amendment Bill (No. 23): adjourned debate on second reading - (May 30, July 25, October 17) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)1.

Statutes Amendment (Gangs) Bill (No. 25): adjourned debate on second reading - (May 30, September 12, September 26) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)3.

Summary Offences (Drug Testing on Arrest) Amendment Bill (No. 26): adjourned debate on second reading - (May 30, July 25, September 26) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)3.

Motor Vehicles (Drug Testing of Learner Drivers) Amendment Bill (No. 27): adjourned debate on second reading - (May 30, September 26) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)3.

Security and Investigation Agents (Crowd Controller Licence Suspension) Amendment Bill (No. 28): adjourned debate on second reading - (May 30, September 12, February 13) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)3.

Adjourned debate on motion of The Hon. J.M.A. Lensink - That this Council expresses its grave concern at the Government’s failure to provide ongoing funding for non-Government mental health providers - (May 2) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter).

†63.
Victims of Crime (Victim Participation) Amendment Bill (No. 12): in Committee2.

†64.
Road Traffic (Previous Convictions) Amendment Bill (No. 13): in Committee2.

†65.
Gaming Machines (Club One) Amendment Bill (No. 14): in Committee2.

†66.
Lottery and Gaming (Betting on Losing) Amendment Bill (No. 15): in Committee2.

Road Traffic (Compulsory Blood Tests) Amendment Bill (No. 16): adjourned debate on second reading - (May 2, 30) - (The Hon. I. K. Hunter)2.

†68.
Education (Random Drug Testing) Amendment Bill (No. 17): in Committee3.

Adjourned debate on motion of The Hon. R. I. Lucas - That this Council notes the recent Australian Electoral Commission disclosure returns and other related matters - (May 2) - (The Hon. R. I. Lucas).

Landlord and Tenant (Distress for Rent - Health Records Exemption) Amendment Bill (No. 117): adjourned debate on second reading - (April 30, June 18) - (The Hon. R. D. Lawson)9.

Contingent Notices of Motion -

Contingently, on the second reading of any Bill being moved, or on any Bill being reported, the Minister for Police to move - That the Standing Orders be so far suspended as to enable the Bill to pass through the remaining stages without delay.

Contingently, on the second reading of the Victims of Crime (Victim Participation) Amendment Bill being moved, or on the Bill being reported, The Hon. N. Xenophon to move - That it be an instruction to the Committee of the whole Council on the Bill that it have power to consider a Schedule in relation to an amendment to the Criminal Law (Sentencing) Act 1988.

J. M. DAVIS,
Clerk of the Legislative Council.

†Restored to the Notice Paper pursuant to section 57 of the Constitution Act 1934.
*Received from House of Assembly.

Member in charge of Bill -

1Hon. D.G.E. Hood
2Hon. N. Xenophon
3Hon. A. M. Bressington
4Hon. S. M. Kanck
5Hon. M. C. Parnell
6Hon. J.S.L. Dawkins
7Hon. T. J. Stephens
8Hon. D. W. Ridgway
9Hon. I. K. Hunter
10Hon. J.M.A. Lensink

http://www.parliament.sa.gov.au/NR/rdonlyr...icepaper_lc.htm

#4 User is offline   mixit 

• Pip

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

MICHAEL OWEN, POLITICAL REPORTER
July 31, 2008 04:00pm

THE State Government's "Mr Fix-it" - Bruce Carter - will step down as chairman of the WorkCover board.

The State Government will later today announce a new chairman – Philip Bentley, who also is chairman of the Thoroughbred Racing SA Board.

He also produced the Bentley Report, released last year and commissioned by the Government's Racing Minister Michael Wright, which was a review into the state of racing in South Australia.

Mr Carter will concentrate on his role as head of the Economic Development Board.

Announcing the appointment today, Industrial Relations Minister Paul Caica said Mr Bentley would bring extensive business leadership and strategic management experience to the role.

As revealed by The Advertiser today, Mr Caica also announced the appointment to the board of Peter Malinauskas, secretary of the Shop Distributive and Allied Employees Association.

The appointments, approved today by the Governor in Executive Council will take effect from August 7.

Mr Caica said he was confident the new board would "ensure the sustainability of South Australia's Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Scheme".

"This was a task begun by the board in 2003 and it will continue through the implementation of the new legislation, and into the future," he said.

Is the ship sinking?

#5 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

here is another out fit that thinks that changeing the top will correct what is happening at the bottom.

It will if they have the GUTS to carry out the weeding or the weeds will still have the control.

#6 User is offline   mixit 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

Radio interview.

Interesting about EML.

Interesting about EML.

Rosemary McKenzie-Ferguson, Work Injured Resource Connection (5AA 19.29-19.34) WorkCover

You’re lucky that I rang in … I just left the WorkCover Awards night … I got to speak to some of the international guests that are here in Adelaide for the WorkCover conference tomorrow, which was kind of nice … (Pantelis: … what is the unfunded liability at the moment …?) It’s guestimated at around 1.3 to 1.5 billion … I’d like it to be a lot less than that … we won’t know for sure until the annual report is released at the end of the year, and even then it will be smoke and mirrors as is the way it’s done within WorkCover. (Pantelis: It’s the way it’s done, I think, throughout Government. I don’t think WorkCover have a Monopoly on that.) … the contract, which is what I believe the Treasurer was talking about … I attended the stakeholder meeting yesterday in WorkCover, as did about 60 to 70 other people … Julia Davison, who is the CEO of WorkCover, said that they had renegotiated the contract with EML. She did not say that the contract was due for renegotiation, in fact it wasn’t due for renegotiation at all … from memory it’s a five year contract, so it’s a long way from being near the end of its term … I think it’s 2010/2011 before they actually have to look at that again. (Pantelis: So why have they then?) … there’s lots of industry speculation. The fact that EML haven’t been as successful as they would have liked to have been or it’s suggested that they have been … the other industry rumour is that EML is haemorrhaging money because they’re not returning injured workers to work in a satisfactory timeframe … their bonus penalties by their contracts are having to be repaid to WorkCover, and that’s part of the original contract that they signed. My concern about renegotiating the contract is that to do so they would have had to vacated the original contract, which meant that the contract then becomes null and void … I’m not a contractual lawyer … when EML was announced as the sole claims agent we were told by the then Chair of the WorkCover Board that should such a situation has arise, as has arisen with EML, that the board held the right to reopen or renegotiate with any other claims agent they saw fit to come back into South Australia or come into South Australia … there are claims agents that have never operated in South Australia … we don’t know why the Minister, and to be honest we don’t even know which Minister chose not to go down that path, but to simply renegotiate and rewrite a contract that seems to be favourable to EML rather than favourable to injured workers and the employers of this State. (Pantelis: … if there’s something untoward I’m sure the Opposition will be trying to ferret it out in Parliament, but as the Treasurer said, as you heard him say, if there’s a right of renewal … I guess WorkCover has the right to pursue that through the existing contractor, which is EML).

#7 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

..................the other industry rumour is that EML is haemorrhaging money because they’re not returning injured workers to work in a satisfactory timeframe … their bonus penalties by their contracts are having to be repaid to WorkCover, and that’s part of the original contract that they signed. ....................

now that is what happened all over the world. they claim that they are not returning the injured to work in a satisfactory time frame. The world needs to look at what they are doing.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users