ACCforum: Self Defence classes for women - ACCforum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Self Defence classes for women These are free & available at

#1 User is offline   hukildaspida 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 3353
  • Joined: 24-August 07

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

The Samurai School of Shukokai Karate in Onehunga, Auckland.

Email [email protected] or phone 940-6626.

Thought this might help some of you women & girls out there or maybe you know someone who needs confidence building
0

#2 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 10629
  • Joined: 10-June 06

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

What about guys like me?
0

#3 User is offline   Spacecadet 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 24-January 07

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:37 PM

View PostAlan Thomas, on May 23 2008, 06:15 PM, said:

What about guys like me?

You can go along too so the ladies can use you to practice on.
0

#4 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 23-June 07

  Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

This is exactly what I need! Anyone know if this is available in Wellington??
0

#5 User is offline   scared 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 92
  • Joined: 25-September 07

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

View Postredsquare74ucys, on Jun 6 2008, 01:37 PM, said:

This is exactly what I need! Anyone know if this is available in Wellington??


Contact a few of the Martial Arts places and see if they put them on, they might decide to do it if there is enough interest. Also you can ask at the police station if they know of any. Where I come from they are called "Lady Beware classes" They are so good and great for boasting self confidence in a few easy-peasy steps.
0

#6 User is offline   hukildaspida 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 3353
  • Joined: 24-August 07

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

Does anyone have the names & addresses of places they can recomend in other places in NZ for those of us who don't live in the Auckland region?

Does ACC pay towards these for people whom have been subjected to Sexual assault etc?
0

#7 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 23-June 07

  Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

View Posthukildaspida, on Jul 7 2009, 05:14 PM, said:

Does anyone have the names & addresses of places they can recomend in other places in NZ for those of us who don't live in the Auckland region?

Does ACC pay towards these for people whom have been subjected to Sexual assault etc?


Protect self defense looks like a fantastic ongoing solution...but only if you can get to Howick twice a week. I'm thinking of talking to them about
something in Wellington that is more than a one day course (let me know if you are reading this and might be up for it, either with acc or without.
This course is doable for disabled and obease people like moi - unlike most other courses)

I agree we need a database here for just this purpose.

ACC declined to cover a $99 one day self defence course that my GP had requested. I have a new lawyer now who thinks we have a chance
and that is is worth going for (ACC told me that I was welcome to appeal, but as self defence wasn't an approved treatment for anxiety and
depression there was simply no way they could cover it.....we will see huh?)

ACC told me I should ask Citizens Advice and Community centers to see if I could find something suitable (read "free"). I found this
offensive but not sure why....vague sense of abdication of responsibilty and dismissal of an option that would suit me best. I didn't
find any that would take less than an hour to get to, and certainly not at a reasonable time of day.

I'm even scared of going to a class with males in it because they would see how weak I am hence my resistance to a standard course.

Am I being ridiculous? What do you guys think?

*************************************** ************************************ **********************************

With sexual abuse there are a number of issues that result. For me a self defence course would

- increase my confidence in going outside/reduce anxiety when going outside or going to sleep
- likely lead to weight loss. I have a fear of losing weight b/c men look at me. Seems obvious except to ACC who needs psychiatrists to
determin the connection
- enhance the CBT I have already had, helping to challenge the fear of going outside
0

#8 User is offline   hukildaspida 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 3353
  • Joined: 24-August 07

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

http://www.protectselfdefence.co.nz/
0

#9 User is offline   neddy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 362
  • Joined: 17-September 03

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

View Postredsquare74ucys, on Jan 24 2010, 08:40 AM, said:

Protect self defense looks like a fantastic ongoing solution...but only if you can get to Howick twice a week. I'm thinking of talking to them about
something in Wellington that is more than a one day course (let me know if you are reading this and might be up for it, either with acc or without.
This course is doable for disabled and obease people like moi - unlike most other courses)

I agree we need a database here for just this purpose.

ACC declined to cover a $99 one day self defence course that my GP had requested. I have a new lawyer now who thinks we have a chance
and that is is worth going for (ACC told me that I was welcome to appeal, but as self defence wasn't an approved treatment for anxiety and
depression there was simply no way they could cover it.....we will see huh?)

ACC told me I should ask Citizens Advice and Community centers to see if I could find something suitable (read "free"). I found this
offensive but not sure why....vague sense of abdication of responsibilty and dismissal of an option that would suit me best. I didn't
find any that would take less than an hour to get to, and certainly not at a reasonable time of day.

I'm even scared of going to a class with males in it because they would see how weak I am hence my resistance to a standard course.

Am I being ridiculous? What do you guys think?

*************************************** ************************************ **********************************

With sexual abuse there are a number of issues that result. For me a self defence course would

- increase my confidence in going outside/reduce anxiety when going outside or going to sleep
- likely lead to weight loss. I have a fear of losing weight b/c men look at me. Seems obvious except to ACC who needs psychiatrists to
determin the connection
- enhance the CBT I have already had, helping to challenge the fear of going outside


Lucy,
If you can handle close in your face working with people, give your local Hapkido or Tai Kwan Do classes a look.

Any self defence course will be in your face and that may be an issue, but................... These guys can teach you grounding methods and be sure you will be safe as I've never seen any innappropriate behaviour in nearly 20 yrs of observing, if anything, the girls are tougher and more focussed at time.

It's not about strength, it's about using the other targets strength to disable them and make them ineffective.

As for the weight, forget about it if you can as it's about learning the routines and moves and perfecting them, and it's not like a gym where some focus on BMI and size.

I Think if you have a look, you may find a "teacher" who could accomodate your needs.

Both Codes teach defensive and offensive moves and is really Tai Chi speeded up ( Yes Tai Chi is a Martial Art for you skeptics)

It also could be more cost effective as "Womens Defence" courses charge the earth because they think they have a captive ( and frightened) market.

I hope you can get over your fears and take steps to gain the confidence that placed in danger, you can and will protect yourself

Stafe safe and stand strong.

Here is a list if your are interested:
Clubs

Auckland

Auckland- Matt Ransom Ph. 0274 222 821- Website

Central Olympic- Dafydd Sanders Ph. 021 605 515 - Website

Papakura- Jeff Lockhart Ph. 09 296 0227 Website

Onehunga- Jeff Hyndman- 021 02282260 OR Jannine Stewart 027 24225250

Titirangi- Mark Hall Ph. 027 2008220



Bay of Plenty

Edgecumbe- Gerrard Edwards Ph. 07 304 9391

Mount Putauaki- Ross Hayes Ph. 07 323 7995

Omarumutu- Kayla Cronin Ph. 027 3006445

Oropi- Lee Miller Ph. 07 543 3349 Website

Tauranga- Lee Miller Ph. 07 543 3349 Website

Waiotahe ki Opotiki- contact Mick Sauer 07 315 4882

Welcome Bay Olympic- Garry Carpenter Ph. 021 755 966 Website

Whakatane Otamarakau Tae Kwon Do Club- Tama Murray Ph 07 3222273 or 0274900882


Waikato

Matamata- Heather Coffey Ph- (07) 888 9077

Cambridge- Heather Coffey Ph- (07) 888 9077



Hawke's Bay

Hawke's Bay- Darren Austin Ph. 06 876 8769



Taranaki

Hawera- Phil Bolstad Ph. 06 765 8551

New Plymouth Michael Hannah Ph. 06 761 8320

Patea- Bruce Kahu

South Taranaki- John Shaw Ph. 06 278 6002

Waitara- John Paterson Ph. 06 754 4921 or 021 206 1634



Manawatu

Ashhurst - Joan Fountain Ph. 06 3268 428

Massey University - Dave Fountain Ph. 06 3268 428

Palmerston North - Jaime Veale Ph 027 226 4483- Website

Pohangina Valley- Dave Fountain Ph. 06 3268 428



Wellington

Coastal (Paekakariki) - Barry Hawkins Ph. 04 292 8491

Coastal (Raumati) - Barry Hawkins Ph. 04 292 8491

Hutt City - Greg OíBrien Ph. 027 6332398

Hutt Valley - Vijay Chhika Ph- 021 049 5210

Karori Club - Mark Tester Ph- 027 4899 357

Tawa - Michael Murray Ph- 027 241 5210

Titahi Bay - Paleti Murphy Ph - 027 362 6251

Victoria University - Sophia Yong Ph. 021 116 6097 - Website

PrimateWTF (Upper Hutt) - Tracy Coleman Ph. 027 477 4628 - Website

Wellington Olympic - Steve Rickard Ph. 8010879 ext 569



Marlborough

Blenheim- James Richmond Ph. 027 5020 4848

Kaikoura- Brett Cowan

Golden Bay- Chris Moyle



West Coast

Nin-Ka-Do- David Hoy Ph. 03 762 7847



Canterbury

Cardinals - Brett Sim Ph. 03 981 6579

Christchurch Olympic- Yorick Neal Ph. 03 981 6110 (Website)

Crichton Cobbers - Tony Pauwels Ph. 03 343 4179

Endeavour Taekwondo - Dave Bell Ph. 0800 726 876 (Website)

Hororata -

New Brighton- Greg Nelson Ph. 03 981 7841

Rolleston- Steve Benbow Ph. 021 294 5418

Shirley Olympic- Hayden Spatcher Ph. 03 981 6110

Timaru - Jill Millington



Otago

Green Island- Grant Beel Ph. 03 488 3315

Teviot Valley (Roxburgh)- Owen Johnston Ph. 027 444 6837

Warrington- Paul Foley Ph. 03 478 1113
0

#10 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 23-June 07

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

Thanks Huk - protect self defence was the one I tried to get funding for.

Thanks Neddy - I just feel to exposed. I know it sounds stupid (only another sensitive claimant might get it) but I am really afraid to show any weakness in front of a group of people, some of whom are men. Men who have exploited me time and again. Harmed me and humiliated me. Actually I can feel the panic building just thinking about it, but yes it is what I really REALLY need to be more functional and less stressed. I live in one of those areas you mention so there is someone close (sort of - other end of town). I have just been kicked (inappropriately might I add) off an IB and onto a SB so I am struggling more than before. Actually I don't feel like I can cope with day to day atm so looks like course is out for now. I just feel like shutting down.

PS the fear is an injury. You don't "get over" it and logic won't make it go away. Even when you think it has been delt a fatal blow it can be triggered by something that appears entirely unrelated. Hence the need for compensation.....I read someone bitching about their sensitive claim not being assessed after six months....whatever hun...three years....I go next week. Lets hope he is as good as his reputation
0

#11 User is offline   neddy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 362
  • Joined: 17-September 03

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

View Postredsquare74ucys, on Jun 25 2010, 09:49 PM, said:

Thanks Huk - protect self defence was the one I tried to get funding for.

Thanks Neddy - I just feel to exposed. I know it sounds stupid (only another sensitive claimant might get it) but I am really afraid to show any weakness in front of a group of people, some of whom are men. Men who have exploited me time and again. Harmed me and humiliated me. Actually I can feel the panic building just thinking about it, but yes it is what I really REALLY need to be more functional and less stressed. I live in one of those areas you mention so there is someone close (sort of - other end of town). I have just been kicked (inappropriately might I add) off an IB and onto a SB so I am struggling more than before. Actually I don't feel like I can cope with day to day atm so looks like course is out for now. I just feel like shutting down.

You have no need to feel inferior in any way.

You were not responsible for the actions of another sick individual at all.

OK, you cannot do the course right now, but is there any way you can have contact with other people in safe surroundings like Community mental health day centres or the like.

Shutting oneself off is going nowhere fast.

It is not easy but getting out can make a difference.

One reason for not wanting to show weakness as you call it, was your vulnerability was exploited in the past and that takes a lot to get over, but learn from the child within you , little steps before running a marathon.

One of the keys to my learning and growing was claiming back my childhood, yes I got into some cool kid's stuff like kicking sand on the beach, played games on a Game machine. built some models, you know kids's stuff, and, shit did I have and still have fun, second............and so on childhood LOL!!!!

Lucy,

Go for it girl, it's your world, not the sicko's who betray and rob. It's your time to Dream, Love, Laugh and most of all Play

Go well and stay safe,

Neddy
0

#12 User is offline   neddy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 362
  • Joined: 17-September 03

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

View Postneddy, on Jun 25 2010, 10:12 PM, said:

You have no need to feel inferior in any way.

You were not responsible for the actions of another sick individual at all.

OK, you cannot do the course right now, but is there any way you can have contact with other people in safe surroundings like Community mental health day centres or the like.

Shutting oneself off is going nowhere fast.

It is not easy but getting out can make a difference.

One reason for not wanting to show weakness as you call it, was your vulnerability was exploited in the past and that takes a lot to get over, but learn from the child within you , little steps before running a marathon.

One of the keys to my learning and growing was claiming back my childhood, yes I got into some cool kid's stuff like kicking sand on the beach, played games on a Game machine. built some models, you know kids's stuff, and, shit did I have and still have fun, second............and so on childhood LOL!!!!

Lucy,

Go for it girl, it's your world, not the sicko's who betray and rob. It's your time to Dream, Love, Laugh and most of all Play

Go well and stay safe,

Neddy

Further to the above posting, I have had more thoughts about your panic and I offer this, maybe it may be of some help.

It's a long read , so take your time with it. Good wishes.
Coping

TEN RULES FOR COPING WITH PANIC

Remember, feelings of panic are just exaggerations of normal bodily stress reactions.

Sensations are neither harmful nor dangerous - just unpleasant. Nothing worse will happen.

Stop adding to the panic with frightening thoughts of where panic will lead.

Stay in the present. Be aware of what is happening to you rather than concern yourself with how much worse it might get.

Wait and give the fear time to pass.

Notice that when you stop adding to panic with frightening thoughts, the fear begins to fade.

Focus on coping with facing the fear rather than trying to avoid it or escape from it.

Look around you. Plan what you will do next as the panic subsides.

Think about the progress made so far, despite all the difficulties.

When you are ready to go on, do so in an easy, relaxed manner. There is no hurry.

Each time you cope with panic,
you reduce your fear!

POSITIVE SELF-TALK

Choose a few of the statements below that appeal to you and practice saying them out loud to yourself. When you get anxious, use them to stop the "stinking thinking". Once you learn to trust these new thoughts, your brain will automatically replace the negative thought process with the more positive one. Remember that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit so don't give up!

Remind yourself gently but firmly that your negative thoughts are not helping you with your recovery and that you have chosen to move forward and think more positively.

GENERAL ANXIETY STATEMENTS

1. I'm going to be all right. My feelings are not always rational. Iím just going to relax, calm down, and everything will be all right.

2. Anxiety is not dangerous -- itís just uncomfortable. I am fine. Iíll just continue with what Iím doing or find something more active to do.

3. Right now, I have some feelings I donít like. They are really just phantoms, however, because they are disappearing. I will be fine.

4. Right now I have feelings I donít like. They will be over with soon and Iíll be fine. For now, I am going to focus on doing something else around me.

5. That picture (image) in my head is not a healthy or rational picture. Instead, Iím going to focus on something healthy.

6. Iíve stopped my negative thoughts before and Iím going to do it again now. I am becoming better and better at deflecting these automatic negative thoughts (ANTs) and that makes me happy.

7. So I feel a little anxiety now, SO WHAT? Itís not like itís the first time. I am going to take some nice deep breaths and keep on going. This will help me continue to get better."

STRESSFUL SITUATION STATEMENTS

1. Iíve done this before so I know I can do it again.

2. When this is over, Iíll be glad that I did it.

3. The feeling I have about this trip doesnít make much sense. This anxiety is like a mirage in the desert. Iíll just continue to "walk" forward until I pass right through it.

4. This may seem hard now, but it will become easier and easier over time.

5. I think I have more control over these thoughts and feelings than I once imagined. I am very gently going to turn away from my old feelings and move in a new, better direction.

FEELING OVERWHELMED STATEMENTS

1. I can be anxious and still focus on the task at hand. As I focus on the task, my anxiety will go down.

2. Anxiety is a old habit pattern that my body responds to. I am going to calmly and nicely change this old habit. I feel a little bit of peace, despite my anxiety, and this peace is going to grow and grow. As my peace and security grow, then anxiety and panic will have to shrink.

3. At first, my anxiety was powerful and scary, but as time goes by it doesnít have the hold on me that I once thought it had. I am moving forward gently and nicely all the time.

4. I donít need to fight my feelings. I realize that these feelings wonít be allowed to stay around very much longer. I just accept my new feelings of peace, contentment, security, and confidence.

5. All these things that are happening to me seem overwhelming. But Iíve caught myself this time and I refuse to focus on these things. Instead, Iím going to talk slowly to myself, focus away from my problem, and continue with what I have to do. In this way, my anxiety will have to shrink away and disappear.

MEASURING YOUR PANIC LEVELS

0 CALM
Most relaxed you have ever felt.

1-2 AVERAGE WORKING STATE
This would be how a person with panic would feel on an average basis

3 TENSE DAY
Having a bad day but nothing we cannot handle.

4 QUITE A BIT OF ANXIETY
Usually physical symptoms- feelings of dizziness, or being out of breath, or other symptoms would begin here as adrenaline begins to release into the body.

5-6 ANXIETY FEELS UNMANAGEABLE
"What if" thoughts are escalating.

7 ANXIETY BUILDS TO PANIC
Feeding the panic spiral... "what if" thoughts are out of control.

8 ANXIETY FEELS OVERWHELMING
Desensitization. Feeling like you are going to pass out, faint, go crazy. All of the senses are out of whack. Adrenaline is pumping through the body at tremendous speed.

9-10 FULL BLOWN PANIC ATTACK
Feeling incapacitated, need to retreat. Usually people give up and head back to safety zones. Cannot stand it one more minute- whole body shaking, dizzy and many other symptoms.

PANIC SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
Fight the Fear with Knowledge
Heart Pounding: Heart speeding up to move blood and oxygen faster
Breathing Faster: Obtaining more oxygen for the muscles
Chest Pain: Chest muscles tightening
Rubbery legs: Blood supply building up in the legs decreased
Disassociation: Less oxygen and blood to the brain
Light Sensitivity: Pupils have opened for more acute vision
Sweating: Fight or flight reflex- body is harder to hold onto
Tingling in Mouth: Result of hyperventilation
Numbness in Hands : Diversion of blood to the muscles
Choking Sensation: Muscle tension
Shaking: Muscle tension
Vision Distortion: Effect of pupils opening wider

Coping Advice

First you have to get the stop sign up..( visualize a stop sign ) to stop the fear thought process and then you have to look at the fear.. (write it down if you have to). You have to say to yourself is this a real fear, am I in any danger or is this an irrational thought that I am putting in my head. Once you decide what the fear is then you can do something to change it,, If you are in danger, what can you do to protect yourself..? If it is an irrational fear thought, what can you do to change how you are thinking and feel safe..?

We are the ones who are putting the fear thoughts in our head and we have 2 choices, to continue feeding them and let the anxiety grow or change how we are thinking.. to change how you are thinking you need to get distracted with other thoughts.. sometimes this takes doing something physical.. we have to use the tools that work for us.. and a tools is anything that will distract you mentally or physically.

We have to learn how to break things down.. once we can do that then we are not dealing with HUGE fears..and we can look at them for what they are.. irrational thoughts.. anticiapations,, what if's and nothing more.. nothing that is going to hurt us in anyway.

1. I am not in control. Quite the contrary..YOU are in control. You are the one who knows more about controlling panic than anyone and you know how to help yourself.

2. What if I panic and nobody is around? So what if you have that panic when nobody is around?? What can anyone do for you that YOU cannot do for yourself?? Can anyone else know what your panic feels like or can they abort the attack for you? NO, but YOU can do that.

3. Panic feels so bad and it might hurt me. The symptoms of panic feel bad but thats all and it wont last. The glands that produce the chemicals that cause panic DO shut off..the attack wont last and if you use the tools and good positive self talk YOU can abort it. Breathe deeply..no shallow breathing. The good oxygen alone will keep you from panic.

4. I cant manage to do things alone. You can do anything alone that you can do with others. THINK different about it..dont allow fear to stop you. YOU have the power over panic..nobody else. YOU have the power to abort it and breathe right thru it, relax and continue for you need nobody but yourself to achieve. Trust yourself to take care of you the way you take good care of others. YOU ARE SAFE WITH YOU..

5. What if I feel bad when driving? You are never trapped in any situation so dont create that trapped feeling thru stinkin thinkin. You can pull over, you can stop the car and take that break to relax. You can think positively and abort any feelings of anxiety for YOU are safe with you. You must just trust yourself enough to get out there and prove it. Whats the worst that could happen..a bit of panic and it can be aborted and brought down. Thats the worst and panic is not as big a deal as we have created it to be in our minds.

I think we all have entertained these mistaken beliefs so give yourself all positive affirmations and get out there and trust yourself. Know that YOU are in control and YOU can have the necessary power over panic to take your life back. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE..desensitise yourself every chance you get and your brain and body will reward you with "been there, done that..no need to panic". STOP.... BREATH...REGROUP YOUR THOUGHTS.. BREAK IT DOWN AND REFOCUS HOW YOU ARE THINKING.. PUT YOURSELF BACK IN CONTROL.. IF YOU CHANGE HOW YOU ARE THINKING YOUR ACTIONS WILL FOLLOW..
0

#13 User is offline   hukildaspida 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 3353
  • Joined: 24-August 07

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Great inspirational post #12 neddy.

Thanks

0

#14 User is offline   hukildaspida 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 3353
  • Joined: 24-August 07

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Is there an updated list of these courses & contacts somewhere?
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users