• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Caregiver/home help rates

#1 User is offline   Caregiver 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

does any one have information on what rates and entitlements caregivers/home help are to get paid?

#2 User is offline   Tomcat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

Greetings,
Home help... not via an agency. = $11.28. per hour.
this rate may increase to $12. as of today.
ACC now deducts tax...
and travel expenses, u pay for yourself.

#3 User is offline   Caregiver 

• Pip

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

Thank you very much for that, i heard acc was holding 15% tax as from the first of july would that not then put us under the min wage the goverment just put at 12 dollars an hour lol,

#4 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:03 PM

the ACC can not pay the minum wage level under contract, self employed. Check up on the law and I think that you willfind that ACc must pay you enough to make a profit in which you must now take out a wage.

If ACC is only paying $12.00 who is paying the ACC levies which is not taken out of your minum wage.

#5 User is offline   Chrissy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

15% is deducted under the assumption that caregivers are earning under a paticular amount. This could result in tax to pay at end of year plus an invoice from ACC for 1.4%

Caregivers are being ripped off! Start an agency get some staff to attract the higher rates!

#6 User is offline   ruralkiwi 

• Pip

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

Chrissy, on Apr 1 2008, 04:40 PM, said:

15% is deducted under the assumption that caregivers are earning under a paticular amount. This could result in tax to pay at end of year plus an invoice from ACC for 1.4%

Caregivers are being ripped off! Start an agency get some staff to attract the higher rates!

You are far better going through an agency. Minimal paperwork and better pay too.
Current rates paid by one agency for personal care are:

Level one care- 15-00 per hour

Level Two care- 17-50 per hour

sleepovers- 90-00 per night

and 50cents per km for travel provided that the carer has to travel more than 5km to get to work

Hope this information is useful to you

#7 User is offline   FRED1956 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

My wife works as a Care Giver through an agency and receives

home help level 2 $13.50
personal care $14.50
mileage .30 after first 10 ks
this is after working in the service for 3 years
area whakatane

#8 User is offline   Caregiver 

• Pip

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

thank you all very much for your help :D

#9 User is offline   Chrissy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

This caregiver funding is a bone of contention for me, I believe that private carers are being ripped off and if there are agencies paying a higher rate to caregivers/homehelp then that is fantastic and good to see, unfortunately agencies are finding it difficult to attract workers because the pay is not great and in a lot of cases the hours of work/travel etc make the work unviable. (I once, as a favour to an agency did 30 minutes personal care on saturday and sunday evenings) this was not financially beneficial to me, but I did it because otherwise the poor client would have not had the assistance needed in the evenings...I felt trapped into doing this because no one else would...this situation is common among care workers (as more often than not they have a conscience) but the likes of ACC and agencies take advantage of this. I actually believe there is a viable opportunity available to private carers (those friends and family who do the work for (now $12 per hour) though this was $11.28, to come together under a collective and claim the same fees that agencies collect, i.e an employment intermediary or some such as there is a ready work force, who are subject to paying their own taxes, travel costs, annual and sick leave. This is something I am looking into at present to pull workers, claimants and the higher ACC funding together to enable workers to get better pay rates and all other conditions as per the Employment Contracts Act...there is work going on quietly in the back-ground for this but it is still in planning stages...i.e charitable trust type situation but employing carers/homehelps via ACC claimants, non profit with any funding gained going back to claimants/advocacy etc...will advise when all the foundations are laid.

#10 User is offline   freshrain 

• Pip

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

Chrissy, on Apr 3 2008, 12:09 PM, said:

This caregiver funding is a bone of contention for me, I believe that private carers are being ripped off and if there are agencies paying a higher rate to caregivers/homehelp then that is fantastic and good to see, unfortunately agencies are finding it difficult to attract workers because the pay is not great and in a lot of cases the hours of work/travel etc make the work unviable. (I once, as a favour to an agency did 30 minutes personal care on saturday and sunday evenings) this was not financially beneficial to me, but I did it because otherwise the poor client would have not had the assistance needed in the evenings...I felt trapped into doing this because no one else would...this situation is common among care workers (as more often than not they have a conscience) but the likes of ACC and agencies take advantage of this. I actually believe there is a viable opportunity available to private carers (those friends and family who do the work for (now $12 per hour) though this was $11.28, to come together under a collective and claim the same fees that agencies collect, i.e an employment intermediary or some such as there is a ready work force, who are subject to paying their own taxes, travel costs, annual and sick leave. This is something I am looking into at present to pull workers, claimants and the higher ACC funding together to enable workers to get better pay rates and all other conditions as per the Employment Contracts Act...there is work going on quietly in the back-ground for this but it is still in planning stages...i.e charitable trust type situation but employing carers/homehelps via ACC claimants, non profit with any funding gained going back to claimants/advocacy etc...will advise when all the foundations are laid.

I couldn't agree more about the desperate situation with home help. As I've said before, most people I know, pay a bit more above what the agency pays, to keep any good worker, and to get the jobs done properly.

Good on you Chrissie. The way the Care industry is set up is not fair to consumers or workers. Not by a long chalk.

#11 User is offline   ruralkiwi 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

maungataniwha, on Apr 5 2008, 03:27 PM, said:

Mine don't last long because $28.20 for 2.5 hrs per week @ $11.28, hardly covers the helper's cost of transportation, so I live in accumulated grime & mess.

Good luck caregiver

I am aware that rates paid by ACC to agencies have recently increased. The agency we use for carers recently backpaid to December 2007 the new rates, This agency is in Southland. I have listed the new rates earlier in this post. As far as I am aware all agencies would have received this increase in the rate of payment so all agencies should have put there rates up.

#12 User is offline   Chrissy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

maungataniwha, on Apr 5 2008, 09:26 PM, said:

Yes, I gave up on agencies because they were unsuitable (lazy, incompetent, unreliable, damaged the polished floor & furniture with harsh detergents/janola etc or didn't turn up & one from Geneva even stole from me) & so I vetted my own from the community. Sadly the $11.28 per hour isn't worth their transport for just 2.5 hrs a week. So I'm back to living in grime & embarassed to invite guests

I hope to set something up to change this situation, i.e. pulling agency level funding into a collective, using this higher funding to pay better wages and transport to carers (vetted and hired by claimants) without individual carers and claimants being responisble as either self-employed or employers...i.e an employment intermediary responsible as an employer and all administration that goes with that, to allow claimants to have fair access to a decent worker and being able to retain that worker on the basis the worker will be rewarded fairly without any of the hassles that go with self-employment, rather than the pathetic $12 an hour paid by ACC!

I know there are a number that will benefit from this...but this takes time and still looking into the viability of setting this up!

#13 User is offline   freshrain 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Chrissy, on Apr 6 2008, 01:18 PM, said:

I hope to set something up to change this situation, i.e. pulling agency level funding into a collective, using this higher funding to pay better wages and transport to carers (vetted and hired by claimants) without individual carers and claimants being responisble as either self-employed or employers...i.e an employment intermediary responsible as an employer and all administration that goes with that, to allow claimants to have fair access to a decent worker and being able to retain that worker on the basis the worker will be rewarded fairly without any of the hassles that go with self-employment, rather than the pathetic $12 an hour paid by ACC!

I know there are a number that will benefit from this...but this takes time and still looking into the viability of setting this up!

Hi Chrissy,
I certainly hope you can. From looking on at the 'home help indutry' it seems one big difficulty is organising workers to cover when other workers, cant work, for whatever reason. Some of this problem might be mitigated by better workers showing up for work more often. Maybe there could be a call-out rate when this occurs. I've known people in need without service for weeks, let alone all those many days when no-one turns up, no explanation is given, and when the client finally gets through to the agency, no one is available to cover.

I hope it goes well. What region are you in - if that's not private?

#14 User is offline   Chrissy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

It does not matter which region I am in, as I intend to set this up to eventually work nation wide, but of course this relies heavily on the claimant already having a 'helper' in thier employ, generally this is done by family/friends etc....the downfall in my plan is to have people willing and able to fill the gap where workers are sick or on holiday etc...so nothing will be perfect...but it will be more likely to succeed given two very important factors...this will be a not for profit situation, therefore workers will be rewarded much better and more likely to be willing to fill a gap and the nature of what is being set up will appeal to many as it will benefit claimants too (i.e extra funding to go to advocacy/support etc)...I would be keen to hear from anyone who has ideas, offline would be good, while I want to advertise and have this known, I am terrified some 'dick' will come along, use the idea to gain profit for themselves...and there will be opposition to this idea from some who may lose money if this goes ahead...ACC may have some difficulties with the concept too...so carefully from here now!

#15 User is offline   pwningacc 

• Pip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

Chrissy, on Apr 6 2008, 06:21 PM, said:

It does not matter which region I am in, as I intend to set this up to eventually work nation wide, but of course this relies heavily on the claimant already having a 'helper' in thier employ, generally this is done by family/friends etc....the downfall in my plan is to have people willing and able to fill the gap where workers are sick or on holiday etc...so nothing will be perfect...but it will be more likely to succeed given two very important factors...this will be a not for profit situation, therefore workers will be rewarded much better and more likely to be willing to fill a gap and the nature of what is being set up will appeal to many as it will benefit claimants too (i.e extra funding to go to advocacy/support etc)...I would be keen to hear from anyone who has ideas, offline would be good, while I want to advertise and have this known, I am terrified some 'dick' will come along, use the idea to gain profit for themselves...and there will be opposition to this idea from some who may lose money if this goes ahead...ACC may have some difficulties with the concept too...so carefully from here now!

Hi chrissy good luck your gonna need it, Keep talking the talk your on the right track; Only thing is your about 12 years behind the ball but dont give up cause your un the right track, send me too I think i maybe able to help your cause a little. I have lots of ideas though most of them dont include agencies. As i see it agencies are the problem not the soluton. Theyre in the middle reaping profits at claimants expense. they all recieve administration fee which is why they're able to exist & pay higher rates.
In 1992 ACC were ordered at appeal to pay administration fees which were 20% of the entitlement that was the rate back then same same as c.c.s & area health boards with paye & levies as a top up.
The administration fee is/was an ongoing cost as are other cost pertaining to attendant care. (much like what that guy gemini was on about in his article caregiver 101 & his posts here) btw He reckons hes been getting 18.50/ hr since 2004, (if hes for real) ;p
Do some research on how many agencies existed before & after 1992, most of these new agencies will have connections to high acc officialdom Its them who were privy to that information. Them & the few claimants who are getting admin' & by the looks of this forum they aint sayin much, Dont worry if your with an agency youll be getting your admin entitlement some of it. With the new tax legislation coming out july 1 its only going to make private non contracted care harder for claimants and their carers.... Not if you join an agency though yeah.
My advice is this: Dont let agencies in your home. period. Start your own agency or company Take your admin back employ a nurse or 2 & send acc the invoice. As an employer you can send the repo man around & do your own taxing,. whats a bit of paperwork when one has quality care. Hell man go buy a secretary. Better yet, It'll give your $11 an hour attendant something to do instead of rifling through your undies drawer.

On a more serious note think about why private care is paid out less than agency care? Taxes & Admin' costs. Its simple If you dont get admin fee your not liable ACC are & they know it. If you have been paying taxes levies & doing private care and are not getting admin' your a lot less off. If your not Dead all ready, 'cause you could'nt find caregivers who're willing to work for peanuts. But thats why the new legislations come about so you can feel good about paying your taxes & levies. just make sure your getting your full quota of administration and on going costs'. If you dont have it allready make sure you do when you start your own agency or buisness,

Something else that doesnt ring true is. acc keep calling their clients employers,. I've never known an employer that did'nt set their own employees hourly rate, employers call their own shots as to what fits their needs & situations. ACc are here to pay your ongoing cost pertaining to your injury & your entitlement.
They like to make themselves look generous by taking monies from the night shift & giving it to the day shift & calling it a pay increase.

Even with 15 dollars gross you'll be back where you started from before the legislation come about. How many more years do you think you'll have to wait before they put your hourly rate higher,?... Yeah not a good look is it. Ya'll better brush up on your chinese folks.

Some of the hourly rates i've seen in here are f*=* shocking 11;28 thats moved 1:28 in what 20 years. I know of a couple who are on 10.47 still How much has the cost of living moved & the price of oil. In 20 years. Agency area supervisors are on S30/hr its their job to find foot soldiers to work for 15 and less. Approved agency rates will always be higher cause they're in the pockets of the man. But i believe you can keep them honest by kicking out useless agencies & their staff and going it on your own with the admin fee. Without admin your pushing up hill.
You'll also need a good team good teams know how to keep overheads down thereby having more funds for wages. Having a top accountant always helps too.
And a good lawyer to keep the corporation on their toes in terms of the law.

Agency days are numbered as far as i'm concerned. sure they have their place, back in the mental institutions where they belong. controlling their clients with lsd & e.

ANY ONE KNOW who Gemini is & HOW TO GET HOLD OF HIM PM ME If he' real THANKS .

#16 User is offline   Chrissy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:47 PM

Behind the ball by 12 years? How so? Will be keen for a private conversation? Has what I want to do been done before?

#17 User is offline   Moeroa 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationWellington Central City

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:27 AM

So can someone tell me what do they get now please?

Is it better to choose your own from your community and have ACC pay them direct? Or how about agency carers instead?

FRED1956, on 02 April 2008 - 08:45 PM, said:

My wife works as a Care Giver through an agency and receives

home help level 2 $13.50
personal care $14.50
mileage .30 after first 10 ks
this is after working in the service for 3 years
area whakatane

#18 User is offline   HakiNohi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

Moeroa, on 13 August 2011 - 02:27 AM, said:

So can someone tell me what do they get now please?

Is it better to choose your own from your community and have ACC pay them direct? Or how about agency carers instead?

Attendant care is community based worker eg: family or friend is paid at 14.40 an hour

For someone inexperienced and a family member the pay was brilliant

As with ACC policy does exist that if the community based worker is the parent or partner that will then not be paid to them as it is no longer seen as extra work but is provided as part of the parents partner responsibility lol

For someone who has worked in the industry with experience and possibly provide the claimant with their needs is still paid if using the community based worker allocation 14.40 an hour

Travel is not covered under ACC to the community based worker.

The claimant may apply and be approved for escorted travel under the act for travel for independence.

Not many realize they can apply for it and most miss out.

#19 User is offline   HakiNohi 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

escorted travel is not to be confused with travel assistance.

escorted travel is where a claimant no longer is able to drive. it funds taxi pick up for appointments or shuttles they call them now and most taxi services provide this service now for wheel chair based clients. its also used when pre injury the claimant was the primary driver of the vehicle and can be used to transport the claimants dependant children or spouse if the spouse is unable to pre injury to drive the vehicle.

travel assistance is paid on mileage where the claimant usually is the driver. and i think is currently still rated at 28 cents per kilometre. which is paid to the claimant for travel to appointments assessments etc.

#20 User is offline   mimi 

• PipPip

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:26 PM

The Corporation’s declining claims is because New Zealand is a guinepig country, the only country on earth where Torts Law is replaced by business called Accident Compensation Corporation. This national Corporation is an ideal business that lives on mandatory tax payer’s funds. As a business the corporation’s duty therefore is to protect grossly reckless doctors and award butchery. NZ doctor’s are fully aware of this fact and they are even told of this fact by the representative from the HDC office that they both ACC and HDC protect reckless doctors. I have attended a lecturing in which HDC representative said that they protect doctors NOT the people of NZ and was giving examples what they say when declining claim.

Weak up NZ.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users