• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Assessment tomorrow!

#1 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

Assessment tomorrow!! Please send prayers that I will be able to make my points coherently. Sometimes I don't say what I mean - think this is due to high cortisol levels/disturbed sleep.

Of course I have notes, but I am so stressed I am likely to forget them or even miss the whole damn appointment.

Hope this is the last hurdle and there aren't any more of these assessments.

#2 User is offline   freshrain 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

redsquare74ucys, on Jan 17 2008, 08:37 PM, said:

Assessment tomorrow!! Please send prayers that I will be able to make my points coherently. Sometimes I don't say what I mean - think this is due to high cortisol levels/disturbed sleep.

Of course I have notes, but I am so stressed I am likely to forget them or even miss the whole damn appointment.

Hope this is the last hurdle and there aren't any more of these assessments.
-

Hi,

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
Remember you can take your time, and nervousness is only to be expected. You can stop and gather your thoughts if you need to.
I hope this is the last hurdle for you.
Warmest wishes!

FR

#3 User is offline   Sparrow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:11 AM

Redsquare,
PLEASE dont go by yourself!!!!!
Take a friend or relation as they can remember things when you cant perhaps.
Also are you recording it> You would have to inform the assessor of your intenton to record as well.
Is this an IMA??
Good luck and stay calm and I hope you have all the relevant info with you.
Also, ask the Assessor what info the CM has sent him and you have that right to know what has been sent.If he does not have th e correct information, reports etc, you can call it off. YOu cannot be chopped off for non-compliance, as you turned up, but if th e assessor dones not have all the data and info, well, therfore you wont be gettin g a correct independent assessment.
Good luck, I will be thinking of you!

#4 User is offline   flowers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:36 AM

Good luck.
Go slow and don't be rushed or bullied.

Obviously They have made such a big issue of all this that of course you are stressed and no-one really performs well under those conditions.

Have a short list of the points you want covered in mind and try to get all sorted.

Have copies of any relevant reports etc you want him to be aware of just in case ACC has not supplied all them to the arsessor and make sure you give them to them.

I have found that it is wise to have a tape recorder and a friend / care giver /with you as a precaution.

That way you are a wee bit more at ease and will be able to get all the points covered properly.

You should already have a full copy of all stuff they sent to the arsessor if your Kase Klipper is doing their Job instead of chasing KPI's.

Cheers
:wub:

#5 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

When people do not want to have an assessment they usually say that I am either their support person or representative. -_- The reaction can be quite amusing. Just imagine hippopotami and warthogs running and jumping in random directions flapping their wings vigorously trying to get airborne. :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :)

ACC are required by the act to inform you of your rights of representation. The assessment cannot take place lawfully until the ACC had complied with this portion of legislation. Usually they will play hardball and bully you into everything. Once they know they can do this (Break the law) then they will keep on breaking the law in every aspect of your claim.

If you leave it until a cancellation decision statistically there is only a very small percentage of chance of getting entitlements back online so if you are worried about the security of your claim it is best that you seek wise counsel from somebody you trust immediately. It is not enough just to have words of confidence even though such support is helpful.

#6 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:07 PM

*sigh* Wish I checked this thread this morning before I went!
Thanks for thinking of me everyone.

I showed up late and some of my post-its were missing... I went alone because I didn't think anyone would really want to go with me so I would just be annoying them. And despite being asked at least three times whether there was anything else I forgot to mention two important (I think??) points.

Contradicted myself several times....

Assessor: So are you able to have any empathy with others?
Me: I'm really good at being empathetic
Assessor: You just told me that you hate being around people because their problems seem trival compared to yours!

Hope she didn't think I was deliberately lying. I'm genuinely confused at my own response. Maybe its an identity/memory/stress thing but whatever it is it is very disorientating. Wish I could have emailed my own info to her first.

I suck at this.

Mercifully she says this one is the last one I have to go through. Probably that doesn't include appeals though.

#7 User is offline   Medwyn 

• Pip

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

redsquare74ucys, on Jan 18 2008, 10:07 PM, said:

*sigh* Wish I checked this thread this morning before I went!
Thanks for thinking of me everyone.

I showed up late and some of my post-its were missing... I went alone because I didn't think anyone would really want to go with me so I would just be annoying them. And despite being asked at least three times whether there was anything else I forgot to mention two important (I think??) points.

Contradicted myself several times....

Assessor: So are you able to have any empathy with others?
Me: I'm really good at being empathetic
Assessor: You just told me that you hate being around people because their problems seem trival compared to yours!

Hope she didn't think I was deliberately lying. I'm genuinely confused at my own response. Maybe its an identity/memory/stress thing but whatever it is it is very disorientating. Wish I could have emailed my own info to her first.

I suck at this.

Mercifully she says this one is the last one I have to go through. Probably that doesn't include appeals though.

Hang in there Lucy,

You were probably defending yourself against what was seen to you as a danger, it's good to show just where you are at, confused, frightened and in need of help after all, they are there to assess you as you are, not on what you want to be.

I'm sorry no one went with you for support, is there no one person you can trust at all?

This journey of yours is a lonely one as it'd difficult to draw close to people as your trust has gone.

Keep coming back to the board, you will find some help here and remember, you did your best today and nobody can say otherwise.

#8 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:41 PM

Medwyn, on Jan 18 2008, 11:10 PM, said:

Hang in there Lucy,

You were probably defending yourself against what was seen to you as a danger, it's good to show just where you are at, confused, frightened and in need of help after all, they are there to assess you as you are, not on what you want to be.

I'm sorry no one went with you for support, is there no one person you can trust at all?

This journey of yours is a lonely one as it'd difficult to draw close to people as your trust has gone.

Keep coming back to the board, you will find some help here and remember, you did your best today and nobody can say otherwise.

Nobody. Waste of time trying. Have lost interest in everything. Can't even answer some stupid questions.

#9 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

Had I been told by that stupid counsellor that I was forced to see OR my CM that I could see some other professional paid for by ACC (JUST found out about ACC 1 forms last week) then I would have written supporting evidence BUT I DONT HAVE ANYTHING!!!

And had that happened they would have known that I am disorientated in time and it is like my entire personality alters in minutes. My thoughts, opinions and feelings become another person. This was my last resort at getting assistance that I need and now I've blown it.

I'm going to try and ring them on Monday to see if there is anything I can do.

#10 User is offline   Sparrow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

Nothing by phone. Everything in writing!
No contact with CM on your own.
Wait for th edecision then Review it if you are not happy.
Dont worry, it may come out OK!!

#11 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

Red Square74Lucys from what I see from your postings the legislators had the wisdom to instruct the ACC to inform you of your rights of representation. You indicate that you of all people needed representation as you seem to point out that you are not capable of representing yourself adequately. From what I see ACC have sought to take advantage of you.

Right to the ACC and immediately and ask them to explain your rights of representation in accordance with this portion of legislation.

Schedule 1
7 Preparation of individual rehabilitation plan

(1) The Corporation must provide information to the claimant about-
© the claimant’s right to have a representative involved in the preparation of the plan; and

If you are satisfied that you have not received any information describing your right to have a representative involved ask the ACC for that information.if ACC had not told you of your rights they have abused your rights which means they have tempered with your right to be heard via your representative. This is a very serious breach of the ACC part. What they tried to do is bamboozle you so a document can be produced to the ACC liking.

Remind ACC that they will not be able to have the assessment until you have this information so you have a representative who will be present. Ask them to confirm in writing that the assessment has been revoked. Depending upon where you live someone oon this site should be able to recommend a good representative.

Also in your letter ask for all information that the ACC had submitted to the assessor to be submitted to you for your consideration. If ACC had not submitted all information relevant to the assessment that is on your file that is another reason for the assessment to be revoked.

Make sure your letter is concise and polite. You might need he letter you have produced aand their reply for a review hearing if the assessor goes heard and produces a nonsensical report. It is almost certain that the ACC will be in a panic trying to get the assessor to produce the report before you can do anything. Do not be bullied.

Write another letter to the assessor stating that under the Privacy Act they are not permitted to produce or pass any information on about you without your prior written consent which will be provided after you are satisfied that the information they produce is both correct and appropriate. The information produced should be viewed by your representative before you give us permission. This will give you an opportunity to check what the assessor say prior to the ACC or the medical assessor seeing it. If the information is wrong this is the time to address a mistake rather than some future date in a review hearing. even though the ACC pay for this report to be produced do not lose sight of the fact that you are the owner of the information and not the ACC. Under the privacy act you control all information about yourself. Make sure you take full advantage of this legal right.

#12 User is offline   Sparrow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

Redsquare, please do not take action on this advice.
Mr Thomas is not known to be diplomatic in his advice.

#13 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:45 PM

Sparrow, on Jan 19 2008, 06:10 PM, said:

Nothing by phone. Everything in writing!
No contact with CM on your own.
Wait for th edecision then Review it if you are not happy.
Dont worry, it may come out OK!!

Thanks for being so positive. I don't think it will. As near as I can figure I seem to fluctuate between describing the symptoms as I actually experience them, and then describing how an imaginary me is responding (everything is fine for me in this imagined reality). When asked about what I experienced during panic attacks I couldn't remember ANY symptoms. So I tried to answer and said that I cried and felt paralysed. I *forgot* to mention that I can't breathe. OK, doesn't sound like much of a difference, but how am I to know if it will make a difference between say a 10% impairment or a 15%?

When asked how my emotional state is from day to day, I said "fine". WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM?? And what is wrong with me?? In reality I'm a complete mess. The ACC psychiatrist I saw for the first assessment has recommended Aprazolam (Xanax), Paroxetine, and Quetiapine (Seroquel). So far I haven't heard anything else about it, but hopefully this weird identity thing that is happening ties in with those medications.

I have spent most of the time since the assessment hating myself and how stupid I am after I made so many mistakes I think the second assessor is likely to contradict the first. I missed out so much stuff and NOW its coming back to me.

Really seems like the emotions and opinions of another person were said, not me at all.

#14 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

Oh no, ACC advised me on their standard form.

#15 User is offline   Sparrow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

Have you looked in Google for the contraindications of your medications? That may explain why you are so confused etc!
I am sure it will turn out ok ! IT isnt the end of the world, you can always reject the report and ask for another or go to REview, but for goodness sakes, dont do that on your own!!!

So stop worrying and hating your self. You did fine on your own!!

Go for a good walk and smell the flowers tomorrow and go home refreshed. I have to take time out from home and I usually go to the beach for a walk. It does wonders.
Take care, Sparrow

#16 User is offline   Medwyn 

• Pip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

Sparrow, on Jan 19 2008, 11:13 PM, said:

Have you looked in Google for the contraindications of your medications? That may explain why you are so confused etc!
I am sure it will turn out ok ! IT isnt the end of the world, you can always reject the report and ask for another or go to REview, but for goodness sakes, dont do that on your own!!!

So stop worrying and hating your self. You did fine on your own!!

Go for a good walk and smell the flowers tomorrow and go home refreshed. I have to take time out from home and I usually go to the beach for a walk. It does wonders.
Take care, Sparrow

Take Sparrow's advice and do not get involved or led by Alan Thomas, his advice will cause untold difficulty .

You have displayed classic symptoms of anxiety and panic and any assessor worth their salt will see this.

If you can live for the moment, just an an hour at a time to start, say to yourself "I will be safe for this hour"

If it does not compromise you in any way, what area of the country are you,as there maybe some help for you.

Don't worry about the meds at the moment or about what you said or didn't say, that's for another day, right now we need you safe and knowing you are a Survivor and you will be free.

This journey is long, I've been there and I'm still travelling, but hey , we are alive and despite it all, it's still a beautiful world out there, let's go grab a piece.
I'll think of you, go well.

#17 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the words of support Sparrow and Medwin. I'm in Wgtn.

I'm ok about it now (ha only took a week! but I got there...) thanks in part to getting more support around my home. *Phew* I think I'm most concerned that the significance of what happened and the effects won't be acknowledged properly and this will trigger me.

I rang my CM and she says she will send me a copy of the report and I can comment. Also she is sending a list of ACC psychologists - my request - so that I will have supporting information that could be included in a review. Feeling really apprehensive though.

#18 User is offline   Not Waddie 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

If you have a helpful case manager, a properly run Branch and decent assessors, dare I say it, ACC can be very helpful. But, most importantly, you need to be proactive and positive about things. Sounds like you're on track. Good luck.

#19 User is offline   redsquare74ucys 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:28 PM

**UPDATE**

When the requested list of psychologists never came I rung up again and got whoever answered to send me a list of psychologists. Unfortunately she couldn't find who were the psychologists so she sent me a list of counsellors, some of whom (apparently) are psychologists. She also helpfully offered to send me a form so I could get my travel reimbursed.

When I recieved the travel form I found out that I could get travel to the nearest appropriate counsellor (hey, nobody told me that during my first six sessions!!!!). Problem is I couldn't figure out which ones were the psychologists either, and I also couldn't figure out what would be considered closer. It's like my mind has exploded and I just can't do stuff like this - it's too stressful and triggers violent rage and/or panic attacks.

So I gave up. Now still waiting for a copy of the assessment I had on the 18th Jan. We are only just over a month so she has a couple more weeks to submit it. After reading another post where they assessed 32% and made deductions to make it 12% (is there any point in making the assessment in the first place??) I am not optimistic.

#20 User is offline   flowers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:07 AM

:wub:

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic