N Z Disability News,views.reviews. www.walkingisoverrated.com

#1 User is offline   Hardwired 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

http://www.walkingisoverrated.com

As on TV 1 Close up tonite.
Welcomes comments etc on accessabilty issues .

#2 User is offline   walkingisoverrated 

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

Hey all thanks for the plug, make sure you keep visiting the site!

Now that exams are over, I finally have time to work on all my accommodation reviews :)

#3 User is offline   Chrissy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

View PostSimple, on Nov 12 2007, 11:10 AM, said:

Note the ramp entrance to the Lower Hutt ACC office is around the back........................

Probably to keep them out!

I couldn't open the interview :(

Just a note though...walking is not overrated...having been in a position of not walking for a wee while, I had to use a wheelchair and it was only whilst in one that I realised how difficult it is for people who need them permanently! I also noticed how dangerous it is out there for people in wheelchairs, curbs, uneven ground, doors...it was a nightmare and soooooooooooooooooo dangerous trying to get across the road! This is why people in wheelchairs should be the ones designing wheelchair accessible areas...curbs and footpaths too!

If that is not enough to contend with, I also noticed when I went into shops or to uni in the wheelchair, people would stare and some ignorant people assume that if you are in a wheelchair you must have some type of brain injury or hearing disorder...I admit that I found this amusing but I imagine if that was my life, my amusement would not last long!

#4 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

Wheelchair access is of course disability access. Disabled people cannot be treated prejudicially and shall have equal rights to able-bodied people. For this reason the ACC legislation gave disabled people the right of representation. Legislation requires that the ACC described all claimants rights of representation for purposes of entitlement act sets, rehabilitation meetings etc etc.

Tomorrow I am representing a disabled person's right to have representation in the Auckland district court because they are too disabled to represent themselves. The primary problem is that the ACC had not described right of representationto the extent that the claimant has failed to access entitlements.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users