ACCforum: All Sensitive Claimants And Non-earners Do Not Get Rehabilitation - ACCforum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All Sensitive Claimants And Non-earners Do Not Get Rehabilitation Some questions I want answered

#1 User is offline   activist 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:37 PM

Been away for a while studying and had a close friend die. Studying Rehabilitation is very interesting, I can honestly say I have never experienced any rehabilitation from ACC. No assessment of my pre-injury status, no planning for rehabilitation, no IRP, no looking at my work history, strengths and weaknesses, social and cultural needs, etc, etc.

So to the questions:

1. Why does ACC only collect the IRP statistics for claimants receiving weekly compensation?

2. Why are they incapable of providing the IRP statistics for sensitive claimants and all claimants who are not receiving weekly compensation?

3. Why does ACC contribute nothing to mental health for the care of people suffering mental injury as the result of sexual and physical abuse? and yet contributes $millions to the public health system for accidents (eg broken bones, car accident victims).

4. Why does the Auditor-General ignore my demands for a full service audit and ask ACC to provide the statistics I am requesting?

Am learning heaps through my studies and boy am I gunna stick it to the man.

#2 User is offline   waddie 

• Pip

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:39 AM

Activist - because the IRP and complying with the legislation is an inconvenience for ACC staff, also training issues. ACC measure the manufactured results produced by the outcome of the vocational independence assessments. Makes the Branch look go though so everyone is happy except the claimant. Unfortunately, the VIA process fails to pick up that the claimant has not received comprehensive rehabilitation because the assessment process is only skin deep, IMHO. The claimant knows that, but for a third party you have to scratch below the surface to prove it.

Hence, my push for ACC funding claimant representation when preparing the IRP, along with a set of standards for a claimant representative ie proven knowledge of the legislation. I have the vehicle to put it in place tomorrow if ACC agreed to fund it. Until then, its ambulance at the bottom of the cliff.

Of course, a National government is likely to privatise the scheme. So those who think that ACC should be a more claimant-centred and claimants should not need representatives when the Insurer prepares the rehabilitation plan, will also have to hope that all the other insurers, who will employ ACC's ex-staff, will also not want to be be profit-driven and thus fail it's shareholders. What is the chance of that?

#3 User is offline   Hatikva 

• Pip
  • LocationWop Wops

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:34 AM

3. Why does ACC contribute nothing to mental health for the care of people suffering mental injury as the result of sexual and physical abuse? and yet contributes $millions to the public health system for accidents (eg broken bones, car accident victims).

This is an interesting one - the trauma caused by violence does NOT go away. It will remain with the person for the rest of their life. However in ACC's mind, it is just another area to use to further traumatize the client ... (been there, done that ...)

Wish I could have had at least some modicam of support - when it was most needed. It was bad enough to have suffered a serious assault with resulting and permanent brain injury - but to have to go through what ACC then did was criminal and further victimization.

Perhaps they still want to sweep the whole thing under the rug and ensure that violence is ignored as no doubt they would have to provide assistance/support to those victimised by violence. Better to let them suffer and perhaps be driven to suicide - gets rid of the problem and whatever cost there is, is placed on the families and the victims - not ACC and it's minions (and millions in investments) :ph34r:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users