• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inquiry Into Acc Fraud Unit Serious misconduct of the ACC Fraud Unit

#21 User is offline   Headlines 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

It looks like a letter from Alan to Mr Smith with regard to 'progress' would be well timed?

View PostAl9lifes, on May 30 2007, 07:18 PM, said:

14 February 2005
It might also be of interest to you to know that ACC intends, as a result of this investigation, to review a number of its practices and policies relating to its fraud investigations, and it is my intention to remain informed of progress in that regard.

I wish you well for the future .
.-----
MelSmith
Ombudsman

#22 User is offline   freefallnz 

• PipPip

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:13 PM

In conclusion,

This Terms of Reference document for a review of the Fraud Unit show that the review is but a window dressing exercise to get the Minister off the hook, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the transgressions of the Fraud Unit. As such, this review has nothing but my contempt and confirms my view, shared by an ever increasing section of the public, that ACC is a corrupt organisation.

Spacecadet sums it all up in one Paragraph!

#23 User is offline   batman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

After reading submissions in the Physiotherapy Inquiry I can see why Dr White and Acc are keeping this inquiry a closed shop one .They don't want the truth to come out,about lies, deceit ,claiments lives wrecked.

Just think of this would you let the rat come up with the recipe for the rat poison,com'on Dr white Acc lets have a open transparent inquiry with claiments been able to give submissions .Or don't you like the human face speaking out about the damage done by this bully they call Acc.

#24 User is offline   happy1 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

Yep C`mon Dr White.You cant keep the truth hidden forever.

LET THE TRUTH BE KNOWN !!!

#25 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:01 AM

The 'human face'..... It is hard to keep ruining innocent accident victims lives when they have a name and a face. As I said in the physio hearings "The people are REAL, their stories are REAL" and its time they were listened to.......

Such a shame that this fraud review seems to be a closed shop done in indecent haste. Dr White would have gained more respect from me if she had authorised a genuine attempt at correcting the systems horrendous defects. I expected better and am extremely disappointed. :(

#26 User is offline   watcha 

• PipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:36 AM

Right on the button Fairgo and MG.

Remember the Trapski Report? Nothing came of that and now ACC has become far more sophisticated in its ability to exercise its power of the 5 "D's", i.e. Delay Deny Diminish Defame and Defend what it did with the full power of the public purse.

An internal investigation will encourage it to smarten up its investigation processes and, dare I say it, sponsor a reform of the Private Investigators and Security Guards Act to give them wider covert powers. How many of us, or those persons known to us, could state on oath that they know a PI who has breached his powers pursuant to sec 66? I can smell a number of amendments already in the frying pan.

#27 User is offline   Spacecadet 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

repost of a post by MG
Tuesday, 29 May 2007, 5:00 pm
Press Release: New Zealand National Party
Pansy Wong MP
National Party ACC Spokeswoman

29 May 2007

Why the secret ACC review of fraud unit?

ACC is undertaking yet another review, this time into its fraud unit, but isn’t telling us why, says National Party ACC spokeswoman Pansy Wong.

“I understand ACC is conducting an under the radar review of the fraud unit, supposedly because the ‘culture has changed’ and because of ‘public concern’.

“But surely, there must be more to it than just a routine health check?

“What is the Minister trying to hide? Why hasn’t Ruth Dyson spoken publicly about the review and what does she hope to discover?”

Mrs Wong says the tired Labour Government seldom responds to public concerns, except when there is bad news or another scandal.

“Whatever the culture change may be, open and upfront communication doesn’t appear to form part of it.

“New Zealanders deserve to know the real reasons why ACC is spending more money on another review, after wasting so much taxpayer cash on an advertising campaign that was deemed to be misleading.”

ENDS

#28 User is offline   ruralkiwi 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:25 PM

Has anyone thought of organising a hikoi. With starting points North and South all meeting @ Beehive in Wellington. Those arseholes couldn't ignore that and neither could the media. That may be a way of the victims of the Fraud Dept being able to have their say in this so called independant review

#29 User is offline   Headlines 

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

Please post the section 66 mentioned earlier. Thanks.

#30 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

The fraud unit is going to be under more public scrutiny over the next couple of days. Watch this space....

#31 User is offline   Huggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

The adrenalin is the only thing that is keeping me standing at the mo and unfortunately for that it means another night with no sleep.

Ill be a walking zombie soon lol.

#32 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:09 PM

Might be up a wee bit earlier in the morning.

#33 User is offline   watcha 

• PipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:00 AM

Link to the Private Investigators act:

http://rangi.knowledge-basket.co.nz/gpacts...974/an/048.html

Interesting reading and I wonder why a fair number of the employees are not licenced PI's.

#34 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

Now I think that the ACC could save a bit of money in there bull shit Inquiry.

they have followed the leader before so why not do it again.

take a wee read

Attached File(s)

#35 User is offline   Gloria Mitchell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

Great link thanks Doppell

Oh I just love that......Insurer Fraud..... In Australia insurers may commit fraud via illegally denying benefits.

Wonder if the justice system here would be interested in the NZ insurance co committing fraud via illegally denying its residents their entitlements(benefits)??

Hmmmm they might be inclined to listen.....how about that.

IF they try it on again with any of us, we might just have to make enquiries about that.

Gloria.

#36 User is offline   Spacecadet 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:07 AM

View PostGloria Mitchell, on Jun 1 2007, 11:30 PM, said:

Great link thanks Doppell

Oh I just love that......Insurer Fraud..... In Australia insurers may commit fraud via illegally denying benefits.

Wonder if the justice system here would be interested in the NZ insurance co committing fraud via illegally denying its residents their entitlements(benefits)??

Hmmmm they might be inclined to listen.....how about that.

IF they try it on again with any of us, we might just have to make enquiries about that.

Gloria.

Gloria
for those ACC claimants living in Australia and recieving ACC, it would be interesting to see if these payments are covered by Austalian law? As ACC payments are now taxed in Australia it raises an interesting issue.

#37 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

Man sick of ACC tactics
By JOHN GIBB Saturday, 2nd June 2007

Getting things back... Dunedin ACC claimant Bruce Van Essen examines computer records and other possessions recently reclaimed after they were seized by police. PHOTO GERARD O’BRIEN

AFTER four ACC fraud investigations in about 12 years, none resulting in prosecution, Dunedin ACC claimant Bruce Van Essen’s nightmare may finally be nearing an end.

Mr Van Essen (40), who has nerve damage causing disability in both hands and feet, said severe insomnia, repeated head aches and other health problems had also resulted from the strain of the latest lengthy ACC fraud probe.

‘‘This has totally drained me.’’

His mother, Anne Van Essen (71), also shares the family house at Fairfield, where her husband, Tony Van Essen, died in June last year, after being ill for many years.

The latest twoyearlong ACC fraud investigation had also damaged her health, she said.

She had been home alone last September when police, an ACC fraud unit member and a private investigator entered with a search warrant and seized her son’s com puter equipment.

Mr Van Essen, who this week reclaimed from police most of the seized property, said it was timely that ACC had recently announced a review of its fraud unit, includ ing its culture, and operating approach.

ACC review documents noted there had been ‘‘recent public concerns about ACC’s fraud man agement practices’’.

Mr Van Essen, who receives compensation after being injured as a freezing worker in the 1990s, was recently advised by ACC it would once again not be seeking to prosecute.

He would be complaining to ACC and seeking retraction of a warning about potential future prosecution, which had been included in the ACC letter.

Mr Van Essen was also con cerned at apparent poor internal communication within the ACC, with the fraud unit apparently unaware ACC case management had earlier approved his efforts as a parttime voluntary worker, and noted this on his file.

Despite this, fraud investigators had recently probed unpaid computerrelated work he had done for a Dunedin primary school.

A letter from an ACC case manager to Mr Van Essen, dated May last year, states the school work ‘‘has been confirmed of no commercial value, and the activi ties you do there are fully within what we have discussed and agreed is appropriate’’.

Mr Van Essen was also con cerned about an apparent 80% outcomerelated quota for investigations, which had been required by ACC, and was included in an ACC contract with private investigation firm Main land Information Consultants which had made some inquiries on his case.

The contract suggests 80% of referrals made, involving the firm, should result in ‘‘either a prosecution, cessation, suspen sion of entitlement’’ or some other form of ‘‘positive action’’.

Officials at the firm referred the Otago Daily Times to ACC risk and assurance and fraud manager Ernst Le Roux for comment. He said the specific clause of the contract was not appropriate and was being redrafted.

Denise Powell, the president of Acclaim Otago, an ACC claimant support and advocacy group, said it was ‘‘completely unreasonable’ to expect anyone to withstand four fraud inquiries.

Approached for comment, ACC senior media adviser Laurie Edwards said each time Mr Van Essen had been investigated it was after information suggested fraudulent activity might be taking place. A warning had been issued in the latest case, he noted

Asked if the Van Essen case had contributed to the review, Mr Edwards, of Wellington, said it had not been sparked by any particular case but some issues recently brought to the ACC’s attention would be included.

In the year to June 2006, ACC’s fraud team had identified savings of $40 million, including both treatment provider and claimant fraud.

See separate thread for comments

#38 Guest_mini_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hi Fairgo

Now this says a lot more than TV3 ever could eh??

What paper was it in??

Wouel be good to get in in Sunday News or something like that!!

I have a contact there waiting for ACC & Tax issues, maybe they would be interested in ACC Fraud issues as well.

Do you want me to phsych it out??

Would need an easier version of the documents to e-mail up to them.

Cheers
Mini

#39 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

It was in the Otago Daily Times. John Gibb has been very good to Acclaim over the last 4-5 years. He gets to the heart of a story and does it very well. I believe more media are becoming interested so by all means point them in the direction of this story which is only the tip of the iceberg.....

#40 User is offline   Huggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

Mini the more exposure we get on this the more pressure that gets put onto ACC and hopefully we will see more people come out of the woodwork and speak up against this corrupt organisation, so yes if you believe they may wish to do something on this give them my acknowledgement that they may contact me.

If you need contact details email me and i will email them back to you.

Bruce

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users