• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advocate Help Required

#1 User is offline   Headcase 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

[font=Comic Sans Ms]Hi everyone,

I am wanting some guidance/help with my making sure my partner is receiving all he is entitled to. He has had 2 TBI'S, the 2nd making him pretty much unable to return to the work force.

We have two young children and I feel I have no energy left to fight another battle with ACC. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to who I could contact to help us.

Many thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

Welcome to the site that shares and cares

tonyj on this site has good connections with the brain injury people and has a good working knowledge to provide excellent advice.

What part of New Zealand do you live in? Are you able to afford a competent legal counsel or are you any of legally aided counsel or worse a well-meaning do-gooder receiving government funding in some way.

Obviously to get help you need to be more specific.

#3 User is offline   tonyj 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

what area are you in??

tonyj

#4 User is offline   Headcase 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hi Alan Thomas and tonyj,

I am in the Auckland, and as for affording top legal help, no go, that's why I am looking for some here to help out.

Needing help with what exactly we are entitled to, as ACC is not forth coming in letting you know, and also help with having his last independace allowance assessment reviewed, as I know that his impairment score at 30% is far from correct. It was last done at the beginning of 2005.

My partner will never be able to go back to work, most probably not even part time due to chronic fatigue poor communication skills due to 2x TBI.

#5 Guest_Percy_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

Has your partner had a Comprehensive Needs Assessment?
This is done by an ACC contracted provider who has expertise in assessing every requirement he has. Do you get respite help, transport needs, home help ,personal care, etc???
All this will be covered by the Assessor.
Ask your CM for the list of these Comprehensive needs assessors and put it up here and then Forum members may be able to tell you who is a dud and who isnt!
Also, do you have a current Individual Rehab Plan?
Take care and good luck.

#6 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

To demonstrate how wrong and independence allowance assessment can be my first assessment was for 14.5%, after percent below the threshold for any entitlement. The surgeon disagreed with the ACC and rated me at 30% based on the very limited funding the ACC gave to him to investigate. Further information was given that increased up to 60%.

So 14.5% up to 60% demonstrates considerable room for error. To achieve the error all the ACC do is withhold the information and not fund sufficient to gather information.

Then as the ACC still try to have their own way by not funding the appropriate surgery I ended up having the wrong surgery which required a medical procedure to examine what had gone wrong which resulted in a stroke and brain injury with the result of that I am now considerably higher than 60% as I did not have the prescribed surgery and now have brain damage. I understand about the fatigue.

The ACC think that I have been working when all I was doing was investigating what I could do with my residual capacity so cancelled my claim. The ACC were released that information to allow me to challenge the information.

The lesson here is that you should always control the information by making sure the information is of good quality. Information is the foundation to your claim. All entitlements will "automatically" sequence from the information.

#7 User is offline   tonyj 

• Pip

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

If you are shore side or west then Alison from the BIA or south another BIA lady , met her at a meeting on Wednesday but forget her name ( I have a brain injruy)

but just go to the phone book and ring the Brain Injury Assoc.

The poor things are overworked , but do a very good job.

Don't use my name as referer , I am not their favourite person...(grin).

if you get no joy and subject to branch maybe I can help personally but am running on the edge myself health wise at the moment so limiting my activities but cannot let another TBIer suffer .

tony

ok , I forgot to tell you hpw to get hold of me

tony lowe 09 6364152

tony

#8 User is offline   DARRELLGEMMA 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:37 PM

View PostHeadcase, on Jan 25 2007, 12:09 PM, said:

[font=Comic Sans Ms]Hi everyone,

I am wanting some guidance/help with my making sure my partner is receiving all he is entitled to. He has had 2 TBI'S, the 2nd making him pretty much unable to return to the work force.

We have two young children and I feel I have no energy left to fight another battle with ACC. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to who I could contact to help us.

Many thanks in advance.

Nathan ormsby is an acc advocate his phone number is 0800 122253

#9 User is offline   tonyj 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:01 PM

[quote name='darrellpearce' date='Feb 4 2007, 03:37
[/quote]
[/quote]

Is The guy any good ????

any advise anyone .. I worry when an advocte gets get promoted like this .. any dealings with this guy people..???

tony

#10 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

Like all some people have been left high and dry by this person by the postings. as with all take your risks.

It might be a good idea in explaining how was this person paid as this also makes a large difference.

#11 User is offline   DARRELLGEMMA 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:29 PM

[quote name='tonyj' date='Feb 4 2007, 07:01 PM' post='38880']
[quote name='darrellpearce' date='Feb 4 2007, 03:37
[/quote]
[/quote]

Is The guy any good ????

any advise anyone .. I worry when an advocte gets get promoted like this .. any dealings with this guy people..???

tony
[/quote]
He sure is bloody good even knows acc inside out as he was an ex acc reviewer so he decided to become an acc advocate.
Regards.
Darrell Pearce.
P.S. Tell him you heard his name through me Darrell Pearce.

#12 User is offline   Tomcat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:13 PM

View Postdoppelganger, on Feb 4 2007, 07:28 PM, said:

Like all some people have been left high and dry by this person by the postings. as with all take your risks.

It might be a good idea in explaining how was this person paid as this also makes a large difference.

Greetings,
"Like all some people have been left high and dry"...
Add another to the list........today. "to hard",

#13 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

First stop really should be the Brain Injury Association's field officer. Good luck :)

#14 User is offline   Gloria Mitchell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

View Postfairgo, on Feb 8 2007, 09:10 AM, said:

First stop really should be the Brain Injury Association's field officer. Good luck :)

NO......Not Nathan..... He is the author of ALL my historical issues with acc. the x-ray report, which was taken at the time of the injury....which shows "no fracture or any other skeletal abnormality".....he handed it back to me as unnecessary.......it is thye lynchpin piece of evidence.

without that peice of evidence.....Beattie upheld acc and the reviewer's decision for a pre existing......When Nathan went on holiday and wasn't there for my DC hearing....at last minute colleqgue ringin who didn't even know the case....and did he jump or was he pushed - didn't leave my instructions to take this all the way to the high court.....subsequently I lost my chance to introduce the evidence I found I had.....got myself educated about this stuff fairly fast....but have been stonewalled at every fence since.

Go there at your peril.

He advertises himself as expert because he knows it from the inside......but....he is didn't do me any favors.....through this we have lost heaps. Does he care......well he doesn't answer my emails and when I saw him in the supermarket some time after.....he looked stright through me. I don't trust him with anyones.

ARRRGGGGGHHHHHH..

Gloria ......about to jump on a plane and outrun those darn cyclones....I will be back online hopefully in a few days.

Behave....and fight.

#15 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:54 AM

With regards to advocates the appropriate advocate must be selected for the appropriate task. It is unreasonable to think that all advocates can do all things. Nathan Ormesby is no doubt perfectly adequate for some types of efficacy but may not be very suitable for more complex matters. You need to keep in mind that the ACC assign a certain type of personality and intellect to become Reviewers. He is no longer a reviewer of course and now try to keep them busy doing efficacy type stuff from a spare bedroom.

If you want to the top-of-the-line super brain legal beagle then you can be assured that the ACC will find an equal and opposite force plus 1.

If you want in a figure that is going to deliver 100% success you would need to get somebody from the South Auckland motorcycle club be your advocate.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users