• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Acc And Wayne Mapps 90 Day Bill

#1 User is offline   neddy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

Just a thought, and maybe I'm off beam, but what happens if this 90 day Bill goes through.

Could an employer state we were "On Trial" and a non permanent employee, and the person loses out on ACC? or first week coverage?

#2 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

as I see it even on trail for a permanent position the ACC must cover it as a permanent position. there is nothing to stop the ACC from covering the injured claim.

Some employeers might just want to be excluded from liabilaty.

#3 User is offline   OCW 

• Pip

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

We were caught with just that sort of situation. The pay clerk filled in the form saying that my partner was on a 1 month contract, when he had been taken on for on-going work. The month's trial was partly to assess his suitability, but also to assess whether he was competent enough to mogh to full tradesman's rates, or paid as semi-skilled.

#4 User is offline   Chrissy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:38 PM

Having a few union buddies...Mapps bill is one which I am reasonably well informed...and the consensus is that it is bad news...even for potential ACC victims...perhaps you could say especially for them, if you look at the statistics on claimants. This bill, if passed will affect every worker but in particular low skilled, low paid employees. Employers will benefit the most and some unscrupulous ones will use it to their advantage...how, you might say?

Lets say the likes of Burger King or McDonalds....whom by the way have been in the news and employment courts many times because of their unscrupulous behaviour toward their employees...if these corporations have new employees sign 89 day contracts then refuse to renew them, imagine how much money they will save annually on things like sick pay...it doesn't matter to them because for every employee they lose, there are a dozen more ready to take their place, It doesn't cost them a fortune in basic training, infact it takes nothing more than a couple of hours...compared to the monies saved, a couple of hours is nothing.

If this pattern of hiring and firing occurs there is not a damn thing that can be done, even if the employee doesn't deserve it, it gives employers the power to do as the please for the first 90 days and the poor employee has no come back. :o

Imagine you are on ACC and pushed into some low skilled, low paid job...this is the uncertainty you face...assuming that your injuries prevent you from performing to full capacity then how long do you think you will have a job? Perhaps only 90 days!

Oh and if you do have a work accident in the first 90 days, how many employers will want to keep you then? Will they deny that it is work related? (some do) then where will you stand with ACC if you have an employer who says I wasn't going to keep them on anyway...does that mean that ACC will only need to pay until the end of the 90 day period...big can of worms here guys and not one I would let go of too lightly.

Statistically those most likely to suffer injuries are in low skilled, low paid employment...where replacement is not a problem...therefore I would say that people on this site need to stand up and fight this bill...it will effect every worker but moreso what is known as the liquid workforce...those easily replaced.

If people are so inclined then the deciding vote is the Maori Party...so far Pita Sharpels has been turned around...you need to write to the leader because last I heard she was sticking to her guns...with the illusion that it will help more Maori youth into employment...maybe for 90 days but will it lead to permanent work? Fundamentally this bill is wrong, why? Simple, this bill takes away a person's basic employment rights for every 90 days in a new job...that is 1/4 of the year with no rights...It would be like being on ACC for 90 days! This bill is not democratic or fair to anyone other than employers.

#5 User is offline   greg 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:31 AM

This is nothing new. 30 years ago, we were sacked on the thursday and re-employed on the monday to beat redundancy laws and relocation costs.
Also the day before your 18th birthday you were also sacked in the dairy's.

The real difference now as against then is, you can 'insure your income
from accident' by pre setting the income level thus this is the' levy rate.'
which ACC uses to set your 80% ERC. Not sure if there is a minimun
time factor.

#6 User is offline   Gloria Mitchell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

Yes I was sacked the day before my eighteenth birthday.....same arrogant prick hunted me down several years later and used me to fill in and train a younger person mean to be for the junior job...then sacked me again to have the junior take over my job...well trained and only had to pay two junior wages wherer previously he had one junior and one senior in employ. To help me roll over, he had me go around the road to visit his friend who offered me a job, thing is, when I arrived on the monday morning this buggars friend around the road looked at me vacantly and said...."What do you mean, there is not job." The good old days eh?

Arrrgghh there be some rotters around.

Gloria

#7 User is offline   OCW 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

There is nothing new. I'm 55 and my grandmother told me about being sacked before Xmas, and re-hired to avoid paying holiday pay. I think that was early 1900's. Protection in the intervening period helped workjers, but much of that protection is now gone.

#8 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

At least working in the forestry we were not sacked on friday and hired on Monday.

we had the opposite. when the work slowed down we were given other forms of work. Some times the boss changed some times not.

Just a shame that ACC have labled skilled workers as non literate.

#9 User is offline   Chrissy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:35 AM

Well just imagine if Mapps bill does go through the potential for the return of the good old days...sacked friday...hired monday...sacked before christmas...hired after new years....money in the pockets of bosses while the little guy loses....Wayne Mapps bill has the potential to create similar situations. I can't remember the exact figure but it is over 300,000 people change jobs annually in New Zealand....that is over 300,000 New Zealanders without any employment rights or security for 3 months of every year...to top that off what does that mean for those who do lose their jobs under this legislation? I haven't looked into it fully but there is a possibility that these people may well be stood-down from receiving WINZ benefits, so not only do employers save but so does government...hmmmm interesting scenario. A scenario I would not want to find myself, my children or anyone in. (except a few MPs maybe....Mapp perhaps) let his legislation bite him back!

Everyone should be concerned about this so if you are, do something about it (write to the maori party...the deciding vote on this bill). Those on ACC should be particularly wary of this bill....who knows when ACC will brandish their big 'get back to work' stick.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users