Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy CBT

#1 User is offline   trusting 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

family member diognosed with this..we agree..how successful is treatment for this? Best clinics is S.I...thanks

#2 User is offline   Tomcat 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

Greetings,
Try this site...

http://www.cbtaustralia.com.au/

and this...

http://searchwarp.com/swa23752.htm

May help with some info...

#3 Guest_Percy_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:54 PM

Cognitive behavioural pain management or whatever they like to call it is another con of the Pain clinics.
8 sessions with a shrink and you are told it is all in your head.
Dont touch it!! I speak from experience!!!!!!

#4 User is offline   trusting 

• Pip

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

....Girl concerned has xrays and reports agreeing with chronic pain..So does not have to prove that point...But she has also gone thru trauma ..Appears to be handling it all ..But we see the other side of despair,negitivity and grief..Has never had any counselling etc...Would like to see her moving on as ACC seems to make it worse..............Appreciate all peoples posting on this forum site ......

#5 User is offline   Natoyarose 

• Pip

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:26 PM

Really the only issue is is the competency of the therapist. CBT can and does work but just make sure you ask around and find someone who knows what they are doing. It is true that pain can be supported by underlying emotional issues. Actually I did suggest in another reply I posted that we have a link on pain and its management. Its an area I have a lot of experience in and it is worth understanding more about the nature of pain because without the understanding it won't change

#6 User is offline   Medwyn 

• Pip

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

View PostNatoyarose, on Oct 26 2007, 09:26 PM, said:

Really the only issue is is the competency of the therapist. CBT can and does work but just make sure you ask around and find someone who knows what they are doing. It is true that pain can be supported by underlying emotional issues. Actually I did suggest in another reply I posted that we have a link on pain and its management. Its an area I have a lot of experience in and it is worth understanding more about the nature of pain because without the understanding it won't change

I agree,
The competency of the practitioner is paramount as is keeping up with the latest trends.

One leader is CBT internationally is Dr John Briere (http://www.johnbriere.com/default.htm)

I would quiz your therapist on what modality they use, some use CBT others use more dynamic means of psychotherapy as taught and promoted by Ashburn Clinic in Dunedin.

The trick from experience is finding a good therapist who you can work with and trust, and the first therapist you strike may not be the one for you, don't hesitate to change

What is CBT? try this link,it's couched in professional language but you'll get the gist of it. (http://www.rational....s/Intro-CBT.pdf)

Try ACC;s list of providers for your area, ring the therapist and talk to them, ask them what modality they use and to what professional groups they belong to, If you have difficulty with those questions come back to the board as I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.

Remember CBT is not Combative Behaviour Therapy as some cynics think

All the best

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users