• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Icd-9 Everything you need about your diagnosis

#1 User is offline   yesno 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

Hi All,

Just incase anyone is ever wondering what ACC has diagnosed you as, every ACC read code has a corresponding ICD-9 Code. This means International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM).

If you look on the first pages of your Claim Details Report, you will see that there are listed diagnosis. ACC has a read code and then their should be an internationally recognised code next to it. This is your ICD-9 Code.

ICD-9

If you would like to check out your code, you can do this at

http://www.dmi.columbia.edu/hripcsak/icd9/...ular.html\

or this http://www.dmi.colum...9/1tabular.html

Cheers

YESno

#2 User is offline   Shannon 

• Pip

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

Yesno

I have just looked through my Claims Details Report looking for the ICD9-code that you have wrote about. ACC has diagnosed me as?? In my case it is blank...

They have injury details listed there although ACC seem to have added to the original list of injuries "diagnosis"

#3 User is offline   MadMac 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

:wub: Hi Shannon and everyone else ...

My ACC managed files have "BLANK " gaps in them as well ...
Asked ACC what goes in these gaps ...
They go "BLANK" ... if everyone goes "BLANK" and there are "BLANK" gaps not filled in the files ...

:D Why have the questions in the first place?

;) One would like to think that to arrive at some form of intelligent ansewer one would have to have all the details recorded ... could "BLANK" describe the style of management my claim has been subjected to ?

Have a bueat day ...

#4 User is offline   yesno 

• Pip

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hi Shannon,

That is exactly the problem. There are four level of code.

ACC Read Code, ICD 9 and ICD 10AM, MBS-E.

Read Codes are ACC Propaganda.

The world health organisation (WHO) overseas ICD 9 and ICD 10, this is primarily to list diagnosable illnesses. This is then taken by the Australian Government, and evolved into ICD 10 AM. These are a list of illiness (and some conditions), and then there are some "common injuries". These are not designed with injury diagnosis in mind.

The Australian Government then works out a procedure for each illness condition or "injury". These procedures are then listed in the Medicare Benefits Schedule. This is then expanded to become the MBS-E. It is also avaliable online (see post ICD10 AM and MBS-E).

ACC have addopted these schedules. If it is not public health acute services, ACC will only approve the MBS-E schedule for the corresponding ICD10AM injury.

One of the problem is that the MBS-E and the ICD10AM are not designed to differentiate between injury and gradual process, disease and infection.

So in summary, if you are not getting treatment, it is because ACC does not believe that the MBS-E code matches your ICD 10AM code. These are often irrelevant to your injury, and can mislead case managers and BMA.

For example: a back operation like decompression is listed as a treatment for degenerated disc, and therefore because degenerated disc is not an "accidental injury" ACC will not pay for a decompression. This is flawed logic.

Further ACC Read Codes do not fully correspond with ICD 10. for example, ACC have a read code for Acute Low Back Pain, but not one for Chronic Low Back Pain, as they do not allow a diagnosis of Chronic Low Back Pain, but actue low back pain becomes chronic after 13 weeks.

I hope this helps explain their decision making progress...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users