Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Greens Welcome Rec'd Acc Changes Min Advisory Panel work-related injury

#1 User is offline   Ivan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:20 PM

Recommendations by the Ministerial Advisory Panel on work-related gradual process disease or infection released today are being welcomed by Green Party ACC Spokesperson Sue Bradford.

“I completely endorse these recommendations and congratulate the panel on the work they’ve done in helping to reframe the future of ACC in this country. I hope the Government will adopt all the major recommendations of the report and implement them as soon as practicable,” Ms Bradford says.

A 2001 Green Party amendment to ACC legislation established the panel, which considered how ACC should deal with gradual and ‘non-physical’ injuries incurred at work, and first met in June 2003.

“If we hadn’t achieved this amendment, the outcome we see today would not have been possible,” Ms Bradford says.

Ms Bradford is particularly pleased with the panel’s recommendations:
  • to change the law to extend ACC cover to such conditions as multiple chemical sensitivity, chemical induced illness and chronic regional pain syndrome.
  • to extend cover to situations where no ‘physical injury’ can be shown – but other forms of injury are proven – for example stress and mental injuries. This would have helped Wellington man Bruce Gardiner who recently handed back a service medal in protest at his treatment by ACC following a traumatic incident while driving his truck that left him unable to work.
  • that those with impairment regardless of cause be entitled to a comparable level of medical, social and vocational rehabilitation regardless of whether they are covered by ACC or not.
“Many people with grievances against ACC have come to me for help over the last six years. Prominent among the cases include claimants with multiple chemical sensitivity and chronic pain who have been refused cover or taken off ACC because they’re told they have ‘no physical injury’. This is a huge injustice.

“The Greens will be pushing hard to ensure that the Government implements these recommendations in full, as they are a light on the horizon for many suffering people,” Ms Bradford says.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Ivan 

• Pip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:22 PM

And the addendum to the report

#3 User is offline   MG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

Well done Ivan for posting this - see my post on another thread. I am most concerned that the people directly affected by gradual process injuries will be denied the chance to have their say and this report will be either sanitised or buried by the officials - see the Dept of Labour spin earlier today. IMHO, this report expresses serious concerns with the way ACC manages gradual process claims and the calibre of the medical evidence it buys to defeat these claims. These sins need to be highlighted, those accountable need to pay, and the system must be changed to avoid ongoing injustice.

#4 User is offline   gaffa09 

• Pip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

I have been fighting and working with Sue Bradford for approximately 6 years now ,
Sue does have a heart and is very understanding even though some time I have given up on her

In reading this report my heart has lightened up some what ,

Another person to turn to is Brian Donnelly NZ first ,who is also a fighter on our side .
Both Sue and Brian stood side by side at our meeting we had last year who both listened to our stories,
Sue said she would go into bat for us .so did Brian
Remember both Sue and Brian are but one , They need other Mps support, so get to it guys and girls , contact your local MP now.

Also keep in mind this government is only working on a shoe string .

VEE, VA the support group the year of the claimant victory could be at hand
Think positive
Which brings me to another point ,
There are members on our site that are trying to help You may not think so but I know so,
There are also members that get a kick out of getting members to bite just remember that,
All for one and one for all

#5 User is offline   flowers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

Yes the Greens have listened to our stories and are doing something about it. It's more than can be said for many others in that egoassylum that's supposed to manage the country.
Good on you Sue and team good to see you back and fighting for what is right.
They will soon wake up to the fact, as most sane kiwi's already know, that the greens are not the bunch of treehugging flakes their own propaganda would have us believe.
Ta.

#6 User is offline   MG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

“The Greens will be pushing hard to ensure that the Government implements these recommendations in full, as they are a light on the horizon for many suffering people,” Ms Bradford says.
What precise action will the Greens take to ensure the panel's recommendations are not buried or whitewashed? At the least, they should tell Helen Clark that they will withhold confidence and supply and until they are.

#7 User is offline   gaffa09 

• Pip

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

Sue has layed her body on the line many times before she will do it again,
If she does please we all get in behind her travel to where the rally is support her fully ..
I have calculated out what ACC have taken off me and also cost me in legal fees over 29 years and this is an underestermated amount $2m
I want it back

Can someone please give me Sue;s e-mail address as i have lost it

#8 User is offline   flowers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

Bradford, Sue List Green

Address:

Freepost Parliament
PO Box 18 888, Wellington
Phone: (04) 470 6721
[email protected]
Fax: (04) 472 6003

308 Great North Rd, Grey Lynn
Auckland
Phone: (09) 361 6202
[email protected]
Fax: (09) 361 5926
P O Box 1553, Shortland St
Auckland

Full list of all members KLIKINZEEHERE

#9 User is offline   watcha 

• PipPip

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:50 PM

Sorry folks, I'm not convinced that the recommendations will ever be introduced as amendments the IPR&C Act - it would be a great step forward in accident and sickness compensation if it does come to pass and I commend the Greens for its part in the recommendations but the reality is that it will in all probability go the same way as the Trapski Report.

Does the public of New Zealand know that it even exists? Does the public of New Zealand care enough about the inequities in the ACC legislation and the way it is interpreted to rise up in horror at the constant transgressions of natural justice?

I think not. Too busy trying to earn a dollar to buy the trappings of "civilisation".

First cab off the rank must be the petition!!

The Greens screwed up the Powell Petition - put it right this time and the party would have my undying gratitude and I would probably vote for it no matter who it put up to stand in my electorate.

A petition is presented to Parliament and if done properly will have a time frame attached to it - these recommendations, as commendable and as overdue as they are, will flutter around the corridors of power for the foreseeable future.

Let's face it, the social contract with the citizens of New Zealand is as dead as the dodo - the social experiment is over - insurance principles rule because of the billions of levypayers funds being diverted into foreign investments - not New Zealand investments - foreign hands. You know, the same hands that control our electricity, communications, oil, shipping, financial institutions, insurance houses and covertly - government itself.

How do we fix it? Buggered if I know, but the petition is a good place to start.

#10 User is offline   flowers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

ACC lawyer supports widening cover

Accident compensation lawyer John Miller supports proposed widening of ACC's workplace cover

10 March 2006

An accident compensation lawyer believes a proposed widening of the Accident Compensation Corporation's workplace cover is a good start.

A Ministerial Advisory Panel is recommending the provision of cover and rehabilitation for impaired workers, whether or not the injury is caused by an accident. It wants to see cover for illnesses which happen over a long period of time, and cover for mental illness or stress caused by an event at work.

Accident compensation lawyer John Miller says any sort of expansion of ACC is sensible. He says it should make no difference to a person's eligibility for cover if they are incapacitated through sickness, disease or injury, at work, home or on the road.

Dr Miller says cover should be widened to focus on rehabilitation for everyone, and hopes the proposals are a step towards that.

© 2006 NZCity, NewsTalkZB

#11 User is offline   flowers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

Cruel ACC Law Denies AssistanceFriday, 10 March 2006, 10:05 am
Press Release: Acclaim
Press Release - Acclaim Otago
Cruel ACC Law Denies Assistance

"The government should change the ACC law back to where it was before 1992 so that victims of mental injury are able to obtain assistance from the state insurer", said Acclaim Otago spokesperson, Denise Powell.

Under the 1982 Act, victims of mental injury, such as that suffered by Mr Gardiner were covered by ACC and, if it was still in force today, he would be able to obtain entitlements such as weekly compensation if his injury stopped him from working.

"The 1992 Act severely restricted the availability of cover for mental injury and was the cause of considerable injustice, which we see today in Mr Gardiner's case. The Labour government, in spite of promising to deliver a fairer ACC scheme, has preserved some of the injustices of the 1992 Act and Acclaim Otago regards this as a clear breach of that promise", said Ms Powell.

The Ministerial Advisory Panel on Work-related Gradual Process Disease or Infection Report released yesterday recommended reinstating cover for mental injury to extend cover to situations where no ‘physical injury’ can be shown – but other forms of injury are proven – for example stress and mental injuries.

It is well past time that the government started to deliver justice to ordinary New Zealanders and it needs to implement the recommendations of the report in full so that people like Mr Gardiner can begin to heal the effects of mental trauma rather than compound the results of an horrific accident.

Ends

[email protected]

#12 User is offline   Gloria Mitchell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:32 AM

[QUOTE]Accident compensation lawyer John Miller says any sort of expansion of ACC is sensible. He says it should make no difference to a person's eligibility for cover if they are incapacitated through sickness, disease or injury, at work, home or on the road.

Well much as I admire the work John Miller has done on behalf of claimants, well paid as it is. I abhor the thought that this idea would water down once again any eligibility an injured person with a working partner would have.

Wouldn't that be great....water down the cover even more, throw em out or on the benefit dung heap where they get subsistence - and still bloody collect the levies and stash them away.

I DON"T TRUST THEM.

Gloria.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users