• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vocational Rehabilitation Research

#1 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:45 PM

I received this document and as the corporation will need an acurate representation to be placed forward I suggest that all that can particate in the research.

the consent form is for the researches to collect the file from ACC for research purposes. it does not alow the corporation to give or collect any other information.

I'm just preparing a copy of my file to be included with the consent form as the corporation may not want the Labour Department to have a copy of the file that show illegal activity.

you may want to add your file numbers to the consent form. that is all file numbers.

ACCIDENT COMPENSATION CORPORATION
Corporate Office Shamrock House

81-83 Molesworth Street P0 Box 242

Wellington New Zealand

Ph 04-918 7700 Facsimile 04-918 7701

www.acc.co.nr

7 November 2005
Dear ACC claimant

Research study by Hazel Armstrong - Barrister and Solicitor, for the Department of Labour -Vocational rehabilitation after injury.

ACC have received a request from the Department of Labour to assist researchers at Hazel Armstrong, Barrister and Solicitor, investigate claimant experiences of vocational rehabilitation after injury with the objective of improving legislation and policy. ACC has identified you from their records as a claimant who the researchers may like to include. We invite you to take part.

If you would like to take part you must give written consent for ACC to hand over your name and address to Hazel Armstrong. If you agree to this, please read the information sheet enclosed and complete the consent form. Later on the researchers may contact you by telephone and invite you to take part a telephone survey.

Giving consent will also permit the researchers to review data from your case records held at ACC and the Dispute Resolution Service.

At this point the researchers have not been given any information about you and no information will be given until you give written consent. if you give consent and take part in the survey, the information will be confidential to the researchers: ACC will not receive any personal information.

Please note -

· Participation in the survey is entirely voluntary

· Your relationship with ACC is not affected whether or not you take part

· We understand that some claimants will not wish take part in the research. if this is the case please discard the letter and its contents.

If you have any questions regarding the research, either contact a Programme Manager-Research; Phone (04) 918-7656 or contact one of the researchers directly - Rob Laurs, (04)473-6767.

Yours sincerely

Keith McLea
General Manager
Research and Corporate Services
we
Te Kaporeihana Awbina Nunga Whara

˝

S
hazel
ARMSTRONG
BARRISTER & SOLICITOR
ACC Claimant Experiences of Vocational Rehabilitation

A Research Project

Information Sheet

Date - 7 November 2005

Dear Research Participant -We are conducting research, commissioned by the Department of Labour that involves
past or present ACC claimants and their experiences of vocational rehabilitation including maintaining a job after spending time out of the workforce through injury.

We are interested in getting some feedback from your perspective on the rehabilitation you were offered by ACC and what impact this rehabilitation had upon your ability to obtain and maintain a job after you became able to return to work. We are also interested in comparing your pre- and post-injury work and level of earnings.

We invite you to take part. We are only interested in your experiences surrounding your rehabilitation and return to the workforce. Any personal information we collect will be for statistical purposes only.

The research will be carried out by a small team in collaboration with the law firm, Hazel Armstrong Barrister and Solicitor, as well as independent researchers.

The research? team will use a confidential secure system to ensure that your confidentiality is assured. No participant names will be used in the analysis and a numbered code will be assigned to each response form for use by the research team.

Any personal information provided to the research team in the course of this study will be covered by the Privacy Act 1993. Any participant has the right to access personal information held about them and ask that the information be corrected if they consider it to be incorrect, in accordance with the Privacy Act.

The research will be conducted independently of ACC and your entitlements and cover will not be affected by any decision you make about participating in this research. Furthermore, your current and future entitlements and cover will not be affected by any responses you give to the questions.

The interview will be conducted via a telephone questionnaire with a member of the research team, lasting approximately 30 minutes. The responses to this questionnaire will be noted by our researcher and then transcribed for analysis.

Please note -

· Participation in the study is entirely voluntary.
· You are free to ask questions at any time and you do not have to answer any questions that you don't want to answer.
· You may withdraw at any time; you don't have to give us a reason.
· Your identity remains completely confidential. The only people who have access to your information are the research team.
· The research project is completely independent of ACC case management.
· Responses and associated information will be kept for 5 years.

If you have any questions regarding the research please ask your interviewer.

If you wish to contact the research team for further details please phone -Rob Laurs at (04) 473-6767.

Thank you 'very much.

Yours sincerely,

Rob Laurs
Researcher
PH: (04)4736767 LevelOne
Cell:(027)4721 793 Tramway: Building
Fax: (04)4710896 One Thornndon Quay
Mail: P0 Box 2564 Wellington

EMAIL: [email protected]

Please complete the details on this sheet and return in the replied paid envelope if you wish to take part in the survey.

The Interviewer
Research Project
P. O. Box 2564
WELLINGTON

ACC Claimant Experiences of Vocational Rehabilitation and
Retraining

Participant Consent Form

This consent form will be held for a period of five (5) years

I have read the accompanying letter about this research.

I understand that I may withdraw from the research at any stage.

I may also request that some or all of the information that concerns my situation be removed from the record.

I give my consent for my responses and participant information to be collected for the purposes of the research, and agree to take part in accord with the above statements.

1 agree/do not agree (cross out where applicable) to have the interview audio taped.

Please return this form to the Interviewer at P0 Box 2564, Wellington. A stamped envelope is included.

Signed:__________________________________ Date-_____________________________________

Full Name (printed):______________________________________________________________

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Noddy 

• Pip

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:41 PM

This looks interesting!

I wasn't inlcuded in the survery however I sent an email to [email protected] and they're going to post the forms out to me.....

If you want to have your say then send them an email and ask them to include you!

#3 User is offline   MG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:01 AM

Were the claimants details supplied to H Armstrong really "random" or will it be the case that they were all delighted with the "rehabilitation" they received from ACC?
I await the results of this study with interest.

#4 User is offline   Noddy 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:38 PM

Yeah - I got the REJECT email as well......

I wonder how big their sample is and like MG says, how were they "randomly" selected?

Quote "This is because ACC compiled a mailing list for the research "

For this to be a credible survey, shouldn't the organisation undertaking the research be the ones who use THEIR process to select the sample and not the organisation that is being measured? If this even gives the PERCEPTION of bias then it isn't a credible survey.......

I smell a rat.......

#5 User is offline   mouse 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:11 PM

I wonder if claimants have been chosen ramdomly based on the stopping of ERC.

I am aware of three claimants who have been invited to participate but none have ever received vocational rehab but have had their ERC stopped.

Hazel Armstrong has a good reputation and I sure the research findings will be honest within the parameters.

Noddy you could apply under the official info. act for the studies terms of reference and the list of who was invited to tender for this

#6 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:41 PM

I just wonder how randon that this is

to make sure that they have a copy of the correct file and not the one that Mr Wilson and Mcgreedy had when advising that Minister.

Random I don't think so but a selected and carefully from a list

I an still awaiting vocational rehabilitation from 1981 application. they cut me off in 1992 claiming that I did not want to work in a low paid job in 1994. applied for section 60 in 1992 and there 1994 decision stopped the assessment for section 60

#7 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:03 PM

I'm with you mouse. It would seem that the people who have received this invite are people who are no longer receiving ERC and therefore "technically rehabilitated". Of course we know that many have simply been exited and moved to the scrapheap. It will be a great day when the truth of the current culling process is revealed. Perhaps this may just be the way? To all those who have received this request and who have not been rehabilitated..... answer candidly and make sure Hazel Armstrong has no doubt about your 'rehabilitation'.

I also note that it is being requested by the Dept. of Labour. That means the OIA applies doesn't it? Therefore we should be able to request the details of the study.
Truth will out.....

#8 User is offline   Shannon 

• Pip

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:31 AM

Suggestion
Is it worth steering Hazel Armstrong to this forum for the purpose of obtaining a random selection from here as well?
cheers :o

#9 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:33 PM

Personally I think that it may be local as no one else has mention that they have been sent these forms out.

will be looking to see if there could be a round table discussion as they say that they are looking into legislation changes.

there will be a letter covering the rehabilitation attempts that I have tried to obtain. the reason why the corporation refused the rehabilitation.

#10 User is offline   Hatikva 

• Pip
  • LocationWop Wops

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:16 AM

I'd enquired about this survey, just received this response ..

After speaking to my supervisor we regret to inform you that we will be unable to include you in the study.

This is because ACC compiled a mailing list for the research based on a random sample of claimants who had undergone vocational rehabilitation. If we include claimants who were not selected as part of this database, the random nature of the sample will become biased.

Thank you again for your interest and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Well, I would LOVE to read the criteria for the selection ... how "random" was it? The sample is already biased as it does not include those who ACC refused to rehabilitate (which by the way should also be included in the survey as "no vocational rehabilitation " is a form of treatment (rehabilitation) ...)

(PS - I have had training in statistics at uni level ... and the fact that ACC made the selection, decided on the initial participation - was it a true random sample (selection) based on an equal chance of anyone who had been rehabilitated (with/without treatment programme) being selected, or was it by region, or by number of days until person returned to work or a subset of the population of ACC claimants who had been rehabilitated .. etc etc.)

What exactly was the criteria that ACC used to select their mailing list? This is critical in establishing the validity of the sample ...

DO I smell another ACC whitewash coming on?

There is definitely a bad smell about on this one ... I have no axe to grind with the research per se, however I do not trust the ability of ACC to provide a truly random, and unbiased, sample to the researchers...

#11 User is offline   magnacarta 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:33 AM

I am aware that similar responses have been received by other claimants wanting to take part. The credibilty of this "survey" is in issue.

One claimant apparently wrote:

"At the end of the day I don't care about ACC, I don't care about the Minister, I don't care about the ACC subsidiaries, I don't care about ACC's investments and returns, I don't care about any of that."

"What I do care about is getting my lawful entitlements delivered to me, right first time. That is the punchline."

#12 User is offline   Hatikva 

• Pip
  • LocationWop Wops

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:09 AM

"What I do care about is getting my lawful entitlements delivered to me, right first time. "

:D This chap deserves a virtual medal from all of us. Sums it all up in one simple sentence. :D

Attached File(s)

#13 User is offline   jocko 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hazel Armstrong is the new Ross Wilson. blah blah blah. She was on the select committee enquiring in to ACC 16 years ago. Where is ACC going to find anyone who is successfully rehabilitated??????Vocational Rehabilitation is EXIT in the minds of all ACC staff I have met

#14 User is offline   Spacecadet 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

View Postjocko, on Jul 13 2008, 09:19 AM, said:

Hazel Armstrong is the new Ross Wilson. blah blah blah. She was on the select committee enquiring in to ACC 16 years ago. Where is ACC going to find anyone who is successfully rehabilitated??????Vocational Rehabilitation is EXIT in the minds of all ACC staff I have met

Read the research results published by Hazel Armstrong and you may want to revise this view.
I think it has been published on this forum by Warren.
Hazel did the research and published the numbers. It did not look great for ACC. I believe she correctly identified flaws in the current system that we all will agree with.

#15 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

hazel armstrong carried out the research which I was part of until they found that I had not been through the Vocational Exit programme.

the report is true and correct in that it shows that ACC have not been applying legislation in obtaining reports.

A report by the Auckland unversity commissioned by ACC goes to a greater detail in that it identifies the problem. One read of this report shows that it is the case management, the policy and procedure that is the problem.

the legislation changes will not change the problem but I do have a way that will. I will be using both reports.

More after I started.

as I can't post the report jocko and of you would like a copy PM me with you email address and Ill send it to you.

#16 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

I ended up being part of this study and I believe Armstong and Laurs did a very good job of identifying the flaws in the vocational rehab being provided by ACC. This combined with Kathryn McPherson's report - gave ACC no real way out. I can't seem to upload the AUT report but will keep trying. In the meantime here is a link for the Armstrong work

http://www.hazelarmstronglaw.co.nz/reports...ndependence.pdf

Attached File(s)

#17 User is offline   two planks 

• Pip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

Yey another engineered report based on biased information about ACC chosen by ACC and restricted to ACC selcted files. How can this be independant when volunteers outside ACC selection are excluded????????
disgusting behaviour on part of ACC to fabricate favourable report from selected files that have been sanatised thus any report done will be bull-shit skewed by vested interest.

#18 User is offline   MINI 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

VOCATIONAL INDEPENDENCE; OUTCOMES FOR ACC CLAIMANTS.

COMMISSIONED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR

FEBRUARY 2007

BY HAZEL ARMSTRONG AND ROB LAURS

A MUST READ FOR ALL THOSE GOING THROUGH OIA, OMA, AND VOC REHAB.

SAVED MY HIDE!!

POSTED ONLINE BY FAIR GO BEGINNING OF LAST YEAR IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.

I GOT FREE COPY FROM HAZEL ARMSTRONG LAW FIRM IN WELLINGTON.
SO THANKS VERY MUCH TO ALL IN GETTING IT OUT INTO THE OPEN.

THIS IS SINCERELY WHAT THE FORUM SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT.

CHEERS
MINI

#19 User is offline   jocko 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

Um I stood before Hazel and her mates and gave them the full drum on ACC 16 years ago. Hazels Ross Wilson in dress. I am 60 and have been dealing with ACC for half of that time. Come on people. Where is the enquiry we asked for? If the research was honest and Hazel was honest she'd be screaming. just another report folks, sorry but that is all is it. The only bits that will be promoted are those the spin doctors can turn in to good publicity for ACC and anything negative will be spun in to positive e.g. "...recently ACC has made changes in these VERY areas." Bullshit of course but that is how ACC and the New Zealand Government operates.Remember all the things Dyson said in opposition? Lianne Dalzell told Watcha and I and forty other people. "No one will be transferring from ERC to Winz benefits. That is not rehabilitation!" It must be well over twenty thousand now.Hazel is one of them.Come on someone on a select committee 16 years ago still doing reports on ACC. Thats three whole acts. I praise your loyalty to Hazel and she may have changed but take it with a grain of salt. If she were with us she would be here one would think. The best place to research anything from a claimants point of view would be here.

#20 User is offline   two planks 

• Pip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

Very interesting reading so far and it should bite ACC on the backside.
some interesting comments on KPI's and Back injuries and a lack of claimant input into the IRP exit procass.
one wonders how often reports that show that ACC is not there to help but to exit are to be published supressed and spun before someone charges these criminals.

Key findings
1. Approximately 70% of claimant records were assessed as requiring improvement in vocational rehabilitation in each of the 15 domains if the goals and intent of the Act are to be met. The domains are shown in Table 2 and include: claimant centeredness; communication; appropriateness of assessment and interventions; maintenance of current employment status.
2. Maori were significantly less likely to be assessed as having vocational rehabilitation that met the standard defined for meeting the goals and intent of the Act.
1 Kayes, N. McPherson, K.M. Reid D. Complex Assessment Project. A Report commissioned by the Accident Compensation Corporation March 2006 iii
3. Those with back and spinal injury were assessed as being the least likely to have vocational rehabilitation that met the standard defined for meeting the goals and intent of the Act.
4. Claimants who sustained their injury at work were assessed as significantly less likely to have had vocational rehabilitation that met the standard defined for meeting the goals and intent of the Act.
5. Claimants with multiple case managers (those with 3 or more in the first year) were assessed as being significantly less likely to have vocational rehabilitation that met the standard for meeting the goals and intent of the Act.
6. The degree to which the goals and intent of the Act were met (as measured in the Global Domains) was related to work status at the time of survey.
7. Provider assessments and interventions are of variable quality and appropriateness (indicated by data from claimant survey, case note review, expert review of IOA and IMA process, claimant and stakeholder interviews).
8. The role of case managers appeared focused predominately on compensation and claim management with rehabilitation frequently being secondary.
9. The nature and effect of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) drive behaviour that is not always focused on rehabilitation and/or compromises claimant centred rehabilitation for RTW and independence
10. An explicit connection between the assessment processes, claimant needs and consequent actions was frequently difficult to determine.
11. Key tools for rehabilitation such as Individual Rehabilitation Plans (IRPs) rarely include claimant’s own goals.
12. A lack of early intervention with nearly 50% of those off work for three to twelve weeks reporting no information about return to work being provided.
13. A lack of team work is evident. This appears partly associated with workload issues but also a lack of a shared perspective on rehabilitation (see below).
14. A fundamental barrier to working with a number of claimants, and achieving good outcomes for those with complex conditions and circumstances, is that relationship building appears overlooked as a key role for case managers.
iv
15. Current vocational rehabilitation appears to focus more on standard programmes of intervention, many of which are lacking evidence of effectiveness (such as activity based programmes), rather than being tailored to the individual claimant requirements.
16. All stakeholders agreed that they had key roles in supporting vocational rehabilitation. However – significant problems in fulfilling that role were highlighted including:
�� A lack of communication between stakeholders
�� Difficulty in allocating resources/time needed for appropriate involvement in vocational rehabilitation
�� Lack of early involvement of the appropriate parties (including the GP, employer and other stakeholders).

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users