#1 User is offline   02rocky 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:29 PM

#2 User is offline   Kiwee 

• Pip

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:06 AM

One of the best skin repair treatments i have used is a natural herbal one. Take the leaf or leaves of a fresh aloe vera plant and fillet the top and the thorny sides from the leaf, , so you have basically a jelly on a green platter, use the jelly to liberally coat the affected areas as often as you like . The best way to get the jelly off is to scrape along the surface of the insdes of the leaf - if it dries out , just another quick scrape will set it off again. Keep several leaves in the fridge at a time. if you need more info i have a booklet somewhere on aloe vera. I have found with fibro, chemical sensitivities etc i have to watch what soaps, detergents i useas they affect the skin pretty quickly. There is an excellent non allergenic soap that uses pure Evening Primrose Oil and but doesnt dry out the skin available from health shops.
If you find the hot water bottle too harsh maybe try a bean bag that you can heat in the microwave, they are not as harsh with the heat as hot water bottle.
cheers
kiwee

#3 User is offline   Karney 

• Pip

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:51 AM

Could you get your GP to refer you to someone for help with the pain? Is there a pain clinic in your area? Maybe a TENS machine from a hospital physiotherapist would work better for you and be less risky than hot water bottles? It sounds like you may have some nerve damage from these back injuries which is affecting your temperature sensation.
Was it you in another post that said you were on ACC until you went overseas and that they then stopped weekly comp? And that you have now returned to NZ and gone on WINZ benefits? Sorry if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick, but wouldn't you be entitled to go back on ACC? If not, maybe WINZ could give you a disability allowance or increase what you're already getting to help with heating, medication, medical appointments, etc?
Good luck!

#4 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

I burned myself once with hot water bottle too from trying to get some pain relief and having the darn thing too hot and not feeling it!! I use wheatbags now. They do get hot, put 1/2 cup water in with it in microwave and 3 or 4 minutes will have it piping. I also have used Aloe on burns and it works well. Another idea for getting heat into the area is Anti-Flamme Herbal relief cream.

#5 User is offline   accbeatsonme 

• Pip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:32 PM

I was using hot water bottles, then a dark patch (like a big bruise) appeared.
it looked ugly and was directly over the injury site not completely over the area of the hotte

#6 User is offline   Joker31 

• Pip

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

Just a thought, but have you tried a magnetic underlay for your bed?

Not too sure if it will work but some people swear by them.

Good luck.

#7 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

Another alternative & ACC should start funding these is ................

" Electric Pet Blankets". That are available at the Vets & used for injured animals, needing warmth & pain relief when they have immobility & recupperating.

These are a reasonable size, set at a certain temperature & most importantly able to be moved around & plugged anywhere you have an electrical outlet.

Whilst we haven't personally got one they would be ideal for localised pain relief as you could use it in bed, on a chair etc, whilst out & about at home & work etc when one has returned to offfice jobs etc...

Food for thought. Let's have a positive repsonse from ACC in funding these to injured people.

#8 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

Refresh, for these cold days and nights..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users