• Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

:lol:

#422 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

Now a little bit of context for MSD's remarks and their handling of the Job Plus audit.

As you can see from the previous post, MSD has been telling the media, me, the Ombudsmen, Audit NZ no doubt, and gods know who else, that I was incompetent. This is the sort of spin it needed to spin to deflect my criticisms of its performance.

Peter Hughes, MSD CEO, wrote to me in October 2005 to tell me what his PR manager had earlier told The Christchurch Press (previous post).

This how I replied to him:

PROFESSIONAL CREDIBILITY
“I find I have …to counter your efforts to establish the fiction that I was less than competent as an auditor and audit manager. It is demeaning to have to do this, but it is also – given your constant but no doubt, from your standpoint, necessary attacks on my credibility – unavoidable.

“Below is a representative sample selection of comments made about my performance by managers and others during the time I worked as an auditor and audit manager . There were no contrary views in a 15-year period – until now.

["Now" was when I got up Peter Hughes' nose.] :rolleyes:

.. it is important to make the point that [he] has been proven correct in his analysis and findings when others have questioned or had doubts about the accuracy and reliability of them. In this regard [he] has also stood steadfast to his position in the face of some stiff opposition [from top MSD/WINZ management who could not stand the truth]. In these cases I have total admiration for his courage, determination and tenacity …. [Perhaps he should have added “stupidity”.]
(Ministry of Social Development internal audit manager – July 2003)

Key strengths include:
• Employment knowledge and contacts throughout the organisation
• Extremely thorough with strong attention to detail
• Written communication (content and style) strong
• High level of personal integrity and strong values
(Ministry of Social Development risk and assurance general manager)

.. is very astute and wise. WINZ will benefit if they take the trouble to listen. .. is passionate about the need for quality management systems. .. has been persistent in pushing for change and has tried a number of tactics and techniques to get his point across. .. has an excellent appreciation of risk issues and provided auditees, team members and myself with solid identification and assessment of risks facing WINZ. .. is a very skilled investigator. .. is thorough and has a real ‘nose’ for issues. I could rely on him 100% to provide senior management with discrete and sensible advice.
(Work and Income (WINZ) internal audit general manager)

… professionalism and expertise is recognised by Department of Labour corporate auditors and Audit NZ :rolleyes: . The quality of his investigations and recommendations are of the highest level. His judgement and knowledge have been instrumental in influencing improved business systems and risk management practices. His influence extends wider than the Audit role.
(General manager, New Zealand Employment Service, Department of Labour)

.. his audit reports, of whatever type, are thorough, sensible and, wherever necessary, sensitive to political overtones. With the depth of his institutional and operational knowledge, and his combination of relentless probing and sweet reasonableness, he has taken his role well beyond that of narrow audit.
[(Operational policy director, New Zealand Employment Service, Department of Labour)

Comprehensively researches the issue under investigation. Once in possession of the facts, will consider them carefully and from various perspectives to reach a well thought-out and logical conclusion. .. is open-minded and also has a broad perspective. ...possesses excellent written communication skills. Findings are clearly presented, logical in layout and comprehensive in content. [His] preparation of the written proposal for the restructuring of the NZES utilised and displayed talents for gathering the evidence/material, considering it, and preparing a well-written, well-argued document.
(Finance director, New Zealand Employment Service, Department of Labour)

Having now read your several reports, I believe your investigations to have been very thorough as well as fair and exceptionally well-written. I had no problems at all accepting your many recommendations, regarding them as very well thought through and comprehensively addressing our needs.
(Auckland regional manager, New Zealand Employment Service, Department of Labour)

Receipt is acknowledged of your most informative report... The report, which can only be described as one of the most comprehensive yet received by this Office, presents a scenario which ....
(Assistant auditor-general, Office of the Auditor-General) :rolleyes:

So that’s a sample of what senior managers and audit professionals said about me, my audit methods, and organisational contribution over the 15 years I was an auditor and audit manager.

But we all know that PR managers in the Ministry of Social Development know better....... don’t we?

Next, the audit methods they have been using after my serendipitous departure.

#423 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

In the case of the company I owned which was supplied by Job Plus staff one committed suicide and was replaced with another followed by the company going under. Did they properly record the end of the term of employment or did they manipulate the figures to advantage their statistics? Of course this information is capable of being tracked so as to identify whether or not the staff making their records were or were not falsifying documents for their own pecuniary advantage or the advantage of the up line managers right up through to the politician promoting the figures for purposes of an election.

#424 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

Of course this information is capable of being tracked so as to identify whether or not the staff making their records were or were not falsifying documents for their own pecuniary advantage or the advantage of the up line managers right up through to the politician promoting the figures for purposes of an election

Did you ask for this information?

#425 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

Will it reduce or increase the number of trespass notices WINZ have taken out against me? Will they remove me from the dangerous client list so as I am no longer managed by the remote client unit and welcome me back into the fold or do they have something else in mind for me such as accusing me of planning to blow up one or more of the branch offices?

#426 User is offline   Sitting Duck 

• Pip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

I am sure that WINZ only tresspass Alan Thomas because he is a convicted fraudster, and has been caught repeatedly attempting to intimidate and threaten WINZ staff, and trying to claim benefits to which he is not entitled.

#427 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

awryly yes I have sought various information including this type of information. The WINZ response was to trespass me and instruct their staff that they are not allowed to communicate with me. This is quite an effective technique to avoid prosecution.

#428 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

We have now noted how far Peter Hughes’ PR minions are distant in their views from others who have offered considered management opinions of my audit methods and performance over a period of 15 years. Needs must, huh, when awkwardness occurs?

Now let’s look at MSD/WINZ audit methods.

Anna Chalmers of the Dominion Post (recently and generously described by the head of TVNZ as toilet paper) failed, as you may recollect, to investigate MSD’s failure to release its audit report of Job Plus (a public employment subsidy programme). A member of this forum (who was not me) enlisted the help of the Ombudsmens’ Office, which helpfully agreed (for the umpteenth time) that MSD cannot hide public information under the pretence that it is “confidential”, “etc”.

[As an aside, the Ombudsmens’ Office has taken an interesting policy stance. Audit reports are no longer sacrosanct. They can be released and examined. (I have obtained a considerable number from MSD.) No doubt, that has unnerved publicly-funded entities. And no doubt they have taken steps to ensure their audit reports say as little as possible.]

Which is just what MSD has done. Surprise. :unsure:

More in a moment.

#429 User is offline   FiFi40 

• Pip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

NZers have rare opportunity to speak on human rights

http://nz.news.yahoo...stories/5351477

You can download the report here and the submission form but you can do the submission by email.

http://www.mfat.govt.nz/Foreign-Relations/...ry.php#remedies

I wish I thought of this forum earlier because the deadline is 17th March 2009.

Hope some of you do this.

Fiona

#430 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

As we have seen, MSD has spoken unglowingly of my audit methods. Senior managers I have worked for have begged to disagree.

Now, let us speak of MSD's audit methods.

#431 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

View Postawryly, on Mar 15 2009, 06:33 PM, said:

As we have seen, MSD has spoken unglowingly of my audit methods. Senior managers I have worked for have begged to disagree.

Now, let us speak of MSD's audit methods.

Such as they are. :rolleyes:

#432 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

MSD methods? what methods?

They cannot handle the truth

#433 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

Less haste, more speed, Alan.

#434 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

It is a truism in audit methodology lore that auditors prepare a register of "issues" they uncover. This, oddly, is called an Issues Register, and is the principal basis for the preparation of the audit report. It carries an essential summation of the detailed information accumulated in audit checksheets.

Without it, you have an audit that just guesses at what the "issues" might be.

It is a critical document.

#435 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

Now, all MSD auditors and managers are well-trained in PR techniques. These are probably their keenest skill-set.

#436 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

So it comes as no surprise that extravagant talk of an "Issues Register" featured so prominently in the documents - the Terms of Reference and Audit Plan - that laid the foundation for the audit of Job Plus in 2005/6. (Hat-tip to the Ombudsmen's Office for forcing their release.)

(This was the audit report, as you may remember, that the DomPost couldn't be bothered to get.)

But, how serious was this extravagant talk?

Let's be in no doubt that, from a propaganda standpoint, it was very serious. From an audit and ethical standpoint, it was pure hogwash.

#437 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

When I figure out again how to load PDF documents I shall provide you with evidence of the corrupt audit methodology the Ombudsmen's Office has seen fit to release to what can only be an astounded and shocked audience. :lol:

#438 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

:huh:

#439 User is offline   MINI 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

Does this mean you can actually pove the details they use for govt reporting purposes are corrupt.

I needed you with me while I was cross-examing one of the higher ups on the stand a few weeks back.The Judge seemed impressed with her, but I considered her saying her CEO getting the wrong message across was wrong. Meaning she knew more than him.

Maybe the CEO didnt know about the 2005 amendments that were retrospectiviely backdated. Bless their cotten socks. They think this after thought to stop me and a couple of others from showing the world what a corrupt trio we have out there, is going to work.

Well we will see.

They might be right, because it is not a good look, and it was happening before Labour got in last time so it isnt going to help National any.

Mini

#440 User is offline   awryly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

Now that I have remastered the art of loading PDF documents ( :rolleyes: ), I attach excerpts from the foundation documents for the MSD audit of Job Plus in 2005/6. These documents are the audit Terms of Reference (TOR - which is signed off by senior management) and the Audit Plan (which drives what the auditors are supposed to do).

Attached File  TOR_excerpts.PDF (1.52MB)
Number of downloads: 5

[Unfortunately, new ACCForum policy prevents me from loading the Audit Plan excerpts in this post. I shall load it in the next....hopefully.]

Notice the yellow bits.

These give hope of a robust audit process. There is much talk of an Issues Register that will accumulate the wisdom revealed by the audit, convey it to the unfortunate (or more likely, in the MSD world, fortunate) auditees for "discussion", and record their no doubt luridly hopeful responses and contrition.

All good stuff.

Just what the Office of the Auditor-General would have had hopes of seeing.

But...........................................

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users