• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Functional Capacity Evaluation Tests what you want to know

#1 Guest_Gone Walkabout_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 November 2003 - 01:44 AM

Functional Capacity Evalutaion Tests

The Office of the Ombudsman has recommended that :---

1 ACC apologise to a claimant for requiring the claimant to undergo an FCE test; and

2 ACC refrain from requiring claimants to undergo FCE as part of an assessment of capacity to work or vocab independence; and

3 ACC revise its procedures so as to make it clear to claimants that they are fully entitled to refuse - without penalty of any kind to undertake exercises or tests in the course of FCE if they consider that those excercises or tests may be unsafe or undesirable or may carry the risk of re-injury or may increase the claimants pain level.

So there you are folks - you do not have to undergo FCE if you consider the exercises or test are unsafe, undesirable, may carry any risk of re-injury or may increase your pain levels and ACC cannot threaten you with suspension of entitlements if you refuse on any of those grounds mentioned.

#2 User is offline   BillyBob 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 November 2003 - 07:17 AM

Can anyone tell me what an FCE consists of.?

I am wondering if it is the same or similar as the Physical Capacity Evaluation carried out by the Auckland Pain Clinic.

thanks

#3 User is offline   greg 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:49 AM

I went through one last year. It damaged my hernias and have set back my
recovery. To get me to life 18 kg. is obviously going to do damage.

They believe if you can do an exercise for 30 sec. you are fit for a 8hr day.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

#4 User is offline   twostickswalking 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2003 - 09:16 AM

I agree with all that is said, and in my case (FCE), I have a copy of the prereferral
form that the case manager has written, where it stated to go against the advise
of the orthopedic surgeon, in terms of vocational rehab, and when I complained of this, the ACC ignored it, and "Blocked" this from review, as it did not
form what is known as a decision under the act.

ACC, could not based on this referral discontinue my entitlements, otherwise I would have had a reason to take this to review.

Always Always, ask for a copy of the pre-referral form to the Service Provider
never, I repeat never go to an assessment, without viewing what the case manager has said on this prereferral form.

#5 User is offline   BillyBob 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2003 - 08:07 AM

Can someone give me a rough idea what is involved in the FCE tests.

I have a PCE coming up in a couple of weeks and want to know if it is the same as the last time i did this it dam near killed me.

I am suppossing there is not much difference between a functional capacity evaluation and a physical capacity evaluation.

I need to know if i can decline the physical part of this evaluation without getting into any strife.

The PCE has things such as:
speed walk, supine stand, dynamic lift, trunk extension,sit ups,push ups,grip strength,sit and reach, lumbar flex, cervical flex etc etc.

cheers

#6 User is offline   Stumpy 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2003 - 11:14 AM

Sounds a bit like an FCE to me. Maybe a new test with a combination of Functional and Physical. Be Careful!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Stumpy B)

#7 User is offline   BillyBob 

• Pip

Posted 17 November 2003 - 07:12 AM

thanks stumpy.
I will certainly be carefull and did decline some of the tests last time so it will be an interesting exercise to see the reaction i get when i decline again.

cheers

#8 Guest_wxyz_*

Posted 17 November 2003 - 10:38 PM

From the ACC Website:

You are here > For providers > Contracts > Assessment services > Functional capacity evaluation

How does a claimant access the service?

Referral process
• The criteria for access to the assessment services is that:
- the claimant has an accepted claim for cover for personal injury; and
- a referral has been made by a case manager to the provider for the task-specific functional capacity evaluation assessment; and
- the claimant has no significant acute symptoms of inflammation or acute nerve root or radicular signs. Recent acute illness or surgery indicates that the task-specific functional capacity evaluation should be deferred until subsidence of acute symptoms and any post-operative restrictions are lifted.

Recent acute illness or surgery indicates that the task-specific functional capacity evaluation should be deferred until subsidence of acute symptoms and any post-operative restrictions are lifted.

Note: Chronic pain is not a contraindication for a task-specific functional capacity evaluation referral.

• The referral will include a statement of the claimant’s rehabilitation outcome and the claimant’s demographic and administration information.
• The referral will provide the name and contact details of the claimant.
• When referring a claimant for assessment, ACC will, where appropriate:
- provide an explanation to the claimant of task-specific functional capacity evaluation, including the process involved and the reasons for the referral;
- contact the claimant’s GP, or other primary health care provider to advise that a task-specific functional capacity evaluation referral is being made;
- consult regarding the timing and purpose of the assessment;
- determine whether there are any contraindications to a task-specific functional capacity evaluation;
- consult with other key personnel, as appropriate (who may include other health providers, an employer, or other ACC staff) about the timing and purpose of the assessment;
- provide the approved assessor with background material about the claimant, including copies of any relevant reports;
- clearly articulate the reason for the task-specific functional capacity evaluation referral;
- outline specific questions for the assessor to answer, including the claimant’s ability to safely undertake specific work tasks or activities;
- clearly specify the tasks the evaluation will focus on; and
- identify any co-existing conditions the case manager is aware of that may influence performance, eg, asthma, diabetes or recent commencement of a medication.
• Case managers may, but shall not be obliged to, forward referrals to the provider for task-specific functional capacity evaluation and reports.
• The referral may be given verbally initially, but shall be followed up in writing within one working day.
• Within two working days of receiving a written referral from the case manager, the provider will notify the case manager of their acceptance of the referral.
• If on receipt of a referral the provider determines that the referral is inappropriate or does not fall within their competency, the provider must immediately contact the claimant’s case manager.
• Within seven working days of accepting a referral (or such longer period as agreed by the case manager in their sole discretion) the provider shall commence the assessment as described.
• The provider will contact the claimant to:
- arrange a time and date to undertake the task-specific functional capacity evaluation
- advise the claimant of the location for the appointment
- inform the claimant of the expected duration of the task-specific functional capacity evaluation
- advise what clothing to wear
- advise that a support person may accompany the claimant
- provide a brief outline of what the task-specific functional capacity evaluation process will involve, and
- inform the claimant of the need to avoid eating a heavy meal, or skipping a meal prior to the assessment .
• The provider will notify the case manager within three working days of accepting the referral of any inability to contact the claimant.
• The provider will advise the case manager by fax, e-mail or telephone within one hour if a claimant fails to keep an appointment.
• Any person who has self-referred to the provider in the anticipation of a referral shall be referred back to the insurer. ACC will not pay the provider for any service provided or time spent with such a person prior to a formal referral being made.
• The provider will, if required by the case manager, attend a meeting with the case manager and claimant and which may include the claimant’s GP and employer.
• The provider will forward the report to the case manager within five working days of the date of the assessment.
• If the provider is unable to meet the timelines stated above, the provider shall contact the case manager to either:
- negotiate an alternative timeframe, or
- allow the case manager to retract the referral.

#9 User is offline   m_a_f_org 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:03 PM

I am worried about this one.

My case manager has booked an FCE with Bob Sellars FCE Systems Auckland. I have said no to it and she still went ahead and booked the appointment, so I am just about to send another letter to her telling her I refuse to do it. I discussed it with my GP, he seemed to think it would be quite good for me to do it, I said no I had done these type of tests in the past and suffered from them, at the end of it he said you don't have to do anything you don't want to. My case manager has told me in a letter, she will call him to discuss it, I am worried that she will talk him around. Hope I will be okay. I am going to mention in my letter to case manager, there's no need for her to contact my gp I have already discussed this with him and he has said no and I would like to follow his medical guidelines, I will get him to initial my letter - I hope this puts her off ringing my gp.

any tips to help me anyone?
thanks

#10 User is offline   twostickswalking 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:03 PM

do what I have done and instruct your casemanager, you are happy for her to contact your doctor but only in writing with specific questions, and ring the
and tell your doctor you are happy for acc to contact him but everything must be in writing with a copy to you

#11 User is offline   broken 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:48 PM

Hi Maf. You are right to refuse to go to a FCE assessment unless you want a hard nosed assessment of your condition. They do no good but can be useful to ACC in removing you off the scheme in a dishonest fashion.

It seems that your GP is one of those who think ACC can do no wrong. It would be good if you could educate him on what does happen there so it will help him advise others who may come after you. If he does not want to listen to you seriously consider getting a new GP.

If your CM continues to push this action tell her that you will put in a complaint or just do it. These pushy CM's need a check on what they do to uneducated claimants and complaints can mean no pay rise this year if they mount up.

#12 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:30 PM

When making or going to make a comlaint just do it do not make a threat as they will consoder that this is a physical threat.
Doppelganger has had experience of warnings. :huh:

#13 User is offline   snarler 

• Pip

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:13 PM

awesome site i wish i had knew about it twelve months ago. i have been on this particular scheme, my case manager blatantly lied about getting me onto this course (another story).
i must stress that if you are on this particular scheme be careful what you say and do, with all their staff they are not to be trusted.
all the members of the class i was placed in,were extremely upset about being placed on this course most had stories of deceitful case managers.
what a total waste of resourses.
i have heard that they are intending to end these courses with fcse and groups of local physios will be continuing and making people believe its something different.

#14 User is offline   flowers 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:30 PM

How many were on the course you attended snarler?
Did all of them have acess to the net?
The reason I ask is that I suspect the abuse is much wider than indicated by the folk that find these boards and that there is a hell of a lot of people being ripped off, lied to and bullied and that is a big worry.
Any light you can provide here will be a help.

#15 User is offline   snarler 

• Pip

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:05 PM

i apoligise for not replying earlier, the fcse class i attended had about 18 or 19 victims in it as first.
the first week we {being the entire class} spent arguing with that wally bob sellars he was trying to convince us there were no hidden agendas he even called in the lady who was in charge of acc in our area.... that didnt work either.
they then split the class in half{ divide and conquer } we went through the motions of the course.
the only thing i got from that course was the satisfaction of telling bob sellars he was aglorified gym teacher.
i have only seen six of the people that were on the course since the completion most with more resentment than myself about the actual course and the process in which they forced on to it.
i have told alot of people about this site the feedback i have had from friends who visit here range from that happened to me or they cant make people do that many were shocked.
it has been of great help to me especially knowing ones rights and being aware of whats coming. :ph34r: :wacko:

#16 User is offline   freefallnz 

• PipPip

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:40 PM

Wriggle wriggle what has Bob the gym instructor got to hide?

I imagine that you made the perfectly reasonable request for "a copy of your file including all correspondence, emails etc..."

For Bob the gym instructor to examine your file and declare that you a vexatious and litigous correspondent is a little bizzare... based on what information is all I can say!!!

Or have ACC developed a different FLAG system from their old blue sticker system warning providers that your a difficult B..... ;)

And then to put the cherry on top Bob has stated you have upset his staff.. (has he been taking instruction from ACC? on how to lie and cheat) quoting OSH for gods sake...

as always I know you'll be nice and polite and simply instruct the gutless wonders that are the Privacy Comissioners that you simply want them to uphold your rights and order Bob to provide a complete copy of your file including all correspondence and emails...

Theres no resolution to the problem! all you want is what you are entitled too by Law...

The privacy act has been around since 1993 and for providers to balk at supplying the information requested is now just a sign that there is something on file your not supposed to see

#17 User is offline   Witchiepoo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:15 AM

as you all know they have FORCED me into an Activity Based Programme with a physiotherapist in his gym. My GP has been against this ABP all along but ACC won't listen to him. Now they have injured me further and I am VERY SICK at the moment because of their ABP. So sick my GP has written a "not fit for ABP for 7 days med cert" . I have even caught an E-coli infection off their gym equipment and my now require surgery to correct this - will know today. But still ACC won't reply to the letters my GP has been sending to the Branch Manager ..... the GP is going to escalate his letters - but this is BULLSHIT ..... bunch of bullies !!!!!

#18 Guest_Percy_*

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

Witchipoo, sorry to hear that the inevitable has happened. Do hope you recover soon.

WHAT IS URGENT IS THAT YOU MUST FILE AN ACC45 FOR MEDICAL MISADVENTURE. Your GP must send this in with his letters. This is a new injury and must be covered.

They dare start up the programe now. They could be litigated against for placing you in ENDANGERMENT.

You should also file a complaint to ACC Complaints, urgently as well.A papertrail is important!!!

It is really important that the ACC 45 is filed SAP. Do not let this turkey get away with forcing you into a programe that was not suitable for you. The CM must also be implicated here as well. Get the file from ACC. If it is a Work hardening program CM has sent you on. and it has been proved you are not fit for work, they are in big trouble.

Keep us informed of your progress!

#19 User is offline   Sparrow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for that No DRSL
It is intersting is it not to see threat that the CASE OWNER can disentitle for the claimant refusing to undertake the test.
It is not legal to force a person into this test, but yet again, ACC are using standover tactics and threats to force people in to these dangerous situations.
They even have the cheek to follow up the claimant and see if the pain has been worsened. Safe eh!

We need to get hold of the contract between the service provider and ACC!!! Wonder what pass percentage they are cooerced into obtaining??

#20 User is offline   Gloria Mitchell 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:22 PM

Hi all.

Did any of you note in that link that the FCE is for claimants who have a FIT FOR SELECTED WORK CLEARANCE.

If you have an unfit for work med cert then you must not be coerced into doing an FCE.

I hope Witchiepoo is feeling better now.

Gloria.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users