ACCforum: Schizophrenia - Invalids Pension + Independence Allowance - ACCforum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Schizophrenia - Invalids Pension + Independence Allowance No Assistance for how to proceed - Confusion

#1 User is offline   Freezes 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2022 - 10:09 PM

I filed a sensitive claim for historic abuse whilst a child (13-15) in 1973-1975. I was in prison at the time and had a history that was ugly by anyones standards. I had been removed from the family home very young and subjected to every form of abuse known. I was essentially more work than my parents were prepared to do - you know food, clothing and every other normal thing like school. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2003 and this was stated often in various follow up reports from a forensic psychiatrist as likely to have links with my childhood experiences and abuses. It became quite difficult seeing Psychs while in prison - not the best way to be noticed by staff or other inmates. I began turning them away and I note in the file somewhere that I actually have a GAF score of 75 - I didnt know what that meant but to hear that it means that Im normal functioning is bizzare. My memory is just awful for basic things - I am constantly battling issues of reality, hearing voices and have been prone to violent outbursts - all documented. I have seen a therapist for a number of years and developed some coping strategies but its a far cry from being a safe employment option for anyone.

I was released from prison in 2005 and had a landscape business but simply couldnt cope with that and couldnt cope with being back amongst family etc and fell apart. I didnt know anything about ACC other than I had filed a claim for support with counselling for historic abuse - nothing else happened and I didnt know how to go about it. I was put on an invalids pension - basically the schizophrenia and depression being deemed severe enough that I was unable to function. I was also awarded $40,000 compensation by the Dept Social Welfare for harms incurred whilst in their care and given a letter of apology from the Government.

I am now aware that I am actually still able to review and revisit my Sensitive Claim with view to getting an independence allowance. I first claimed in 2004 and its still not been dealt with - I have not been assessed by ACC although the mason clinic diagnosed me and using the mason clinic notes MSD deemed that I am unable to work.

What am I missing surely if im and invalid for MSD I cant be normal functioning GAF 75 for ACC? - Help

#2 User is offline   Irony 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:58 AM

Hi Newbie,

Have you had a sensitive claim accepted by ACC? And if so, have you applied for an Independence Allowance in the past (and has ACC got a record that you've applied)?

My partner is going through something similar. He recently managed to complete his Independence Allowance (IA) assessment and reached the minimum of 10% incapacity. He contacted ACC and requested a copy of his old file, then applied for legal aid and John Miller Law in Wellington is now actively pursuing the case for him. They're hopeful ACC will backdate his payment from the first time he applied for IA compensation (about 15 years ago). Through no fault of his own, ACC never followed this up after he applied.

© the independence allowance based on the first assessment is payable as from,—

(i) in the case of a person who has received lump-sum compensation under section 119 of the Accident Compensation Act 1972 or section 78 of the Accident Compensation Act 1982, or both, the date of the application for an independence allowance; or

(ii) in any other case, the later of the date on which the claim for cover was lodged or 1 July 1992.

So in layman's terms, IA is payable from the date of the first application, regardless of the outcome e.g. ACC never followed it up, if your IA claim is eventually accepted for the said injury.

I hope this helps and good luck with your recovery :-)

#3 User is offline   Freezes 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:26 PM

View PostIrony, on 14 January 2022 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hi Newbie,

Have you had a sensitive claim accepted by ACC? And if so, have you applied for an Independence Allowance in the past (and has ACC got a record that you've applied)?

My partner is going through something similar. He recently managed to complete his Independence Allowance (IA) assessment and reached the minimum of 10% incapacity. He contacted ACC and requested a copy of his old file, then applied for legal aid and John Miller Law in Wellington is now actively pursuing the case for him. They're hopeful ACC will backdate his payment from the first time he applied for IA compensation (about 15 years ago). Through no fault of his own, ACC never followed this up after he applied.

© the independence allowance based on the first assessment is payable as from,—

(i) in the case of a person who has received lump-sum compensation under section 119 of the Accident Compensation Act 1972 or section 78 of the Accident Compensation Act 1982, or both, the date of the application for an independence allowance; or

(ii) in any other case, the later of the date on which the claim for cover was lodged or 1 July 1992.

So in layman's terms, IA is payable from the date of the first application, regardless of the outcome e.g. ACC never followed it up, if your IA claim is eventually accepted for the said injury.

I hope this helps and good luck with your recovery :-)

#4 User is offline   Freezes 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:33 PM

thanks for taking the time to reply to the post.. I have claimed in 2004 only for counselling at that time because I was in prison and the IA was not an issue then. Yes youre right though about being assisted or informed - I heard nothing and had no clue what I could or couldnt do -plus Its not something you want to have repeating with everynew person you talk to. I now realize that I would be paid from that first claim in 2004 up to now and possibly 5 years advanced so its like 20 years. Im unable to work at all according to medical staff that have assessed me for MSD Invalids benefit so I would think there must be something -I was classified as having paranoid schizophrenia! it puts me off hanging around with me lol

#5 User is offline   Freezes 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:33 PM

thanks for taking the time to reply to the post.. I have claimed in 2004 only for counselling at that time because I was in prison and the IA was not an issue then. Yes youre right though about being assisted or informed - I heard nothing and had no clue what I could or couldnt do -plus Its not something you want to have repeating with everynew person you talk to. I now realize that I would be paid from that first claim in 2004 up to now and possibly 5 years advanced so its like 20 years. Im unable to work at all according to medical staff that have assessed me for MSD Invalids benefit so I would think there must be something -I was classified as having paranoid schizophrenia! it puts me off hanging around with me lol

#6 User is offline   Irony 

• Pip

Posted 18 January 2022 - 12:02 PM

View PostFreezes, on 14 January 2022 - 11:33 PM, said:

No worries and sorry for calling you Newbie when your name is Freezes. You've got the option to apply for IA still if you haven't already. Once accepted, ACC can pay IA quarterly or even 5 years in advance, then every 5 years after that. Either way, I'd get hold of your ACC file if I was you and see what's in there (including counseling reports). If anything feels too much, it might be best to have support e.g. a therapist present when reading through your notes. In the end, you might not be able to get any IA backdated, but future money might be useful to aid your recovery?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users