ACCforum: I need some advice - ACCforum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I need some advice An old wrist injury

#1 User is offline   fjvermeeren 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 26-November 18
  • Locationwellington

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:45 PM

My ACC claim has been turned down because there are no records(at the hospital)of the accident happening?

Back in the late 1970's i was 7-10 years old,i can remember my friends and i where playing in a tree.
I jumped from the tree to the ground, about a meter high,the ground was covered in long grass.When both palms of my hands hit the ground/grass
i ended up with a deep 60-70cm cut across my palm and left wrist i don't know if it was a piece of glass or metal.

Back when i was a kid if your local doctor couldn't help he would send you to the hospital.I'm waiting for a hard copy of my medical records from my old doctor
i don't think the records will be of any help or any mention of the injury,and that's where me and my father ended up at the hospital.
they injected the wound with something to numb it about four times,and stitched it up and we left,i know at some stage i had the stitches removed and that was it.
as a kid my finger tips were numb i couldn't do a lot of things with my hand(like hold a knife and fork play a guitar) it wasn't till i was about 15 years old i could straighten out my fingers
being young i just shrugged it off as just being the way things are.

Even now at 48 years old i have trouble bringing my fingers together while they are straight still numb in parts left hand is definitely smaller than the right in terms of muscle
and as iv gotten older there is more fatigue in my left hand and arm?

iv worked all my life and figure ill be working into my 60's, what are my options? I'm thinking just get over it and hope for the best.

Thanks.
0

#2 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9354
  • Joined: 10-June 06

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:33 AM

View Postfjvermeeren, on 26 November 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

My ACC claim has been turned down because there are no records(at the hospital)of the accident happening?

Back in the late 1970's i was 7-10 years old,i can remember my friends and i where playing in a tree.
I jumped from the tree to the ground, about a meter high,the ground was covered in long grass.When both palms of my hands hit the ground/grass
i ended up with a deep 60-70cm cut across my palm and left wrist i don't know if it was a piece of glass or metal.

Back when i was a kid if your local doctor couldn't help he would send you to the hospital.I'm waiting for a hard copy of my medical records from my old doctor
i don't think the records will be of any help or any mention of the injury,and that's where me and my father ended up at the hospital.
they injected the wound with something to numb it about four times,and stitched it up and we left,i know at some stage i had the stitches removed and that was it.
as a kid my finger tips were numb i couldn't do a lot of things with my hand(like hold a knife and fork play a guitar) it wasn't till i was about 15 years old i could straighten out my fingers
being young i just shrugged it off as just being the way things are.

Even now at 48 years old i have trouble bringing my fingers together while they are straight still numb in parts left hand is definitely smaller than the right in terms of muscle
and as iv gotten older there is more fatigue in my left hand and arm?

iv worked all my life and figure ill be working into my 60's, what are my options? I'm thinking just get over it and hope for the best.

Thanks.


You were always entitled to social rehabilitation, funded medical treatment and independence allowance to offset the disadvantages you suffer from and daily living. If your injury occurred prior to 1992 you would have been entitled to a lump sum for pain and suffering. Given the nature of your injuries this most probably would have exceeded $5000. Of course due to the late payment for this figure there will be interest which will have also compounded quite considerably by now.
As your injury occurred while you were a child and before you were working the impact upon your capacity to earn will need to be considered.
With regards to the medical evidence a medical professional will be able to examine you and confirm that you have suffered an accident event causing an injury and then quantify the degree of disability caused by that injury for the purposes of assisting ACC calculate your entitlements.
You should be asking the ACC what potential entitlements would be payable to you.

-2

#3 User is offline   MINI 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7599
  • Joined: 09-October 07

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:43 AM

View PostAlan Thomas, on 27 November 2018 - 10:33 AM, said:

You were always entitled to social rehabilitation, funded medical treatment and independence allowance to offset the disadvantages you suffer from and daily living. If your injury occurred prior to 1992 you would have been entitled to a lump sum for pain and suffering. Given the nature of your injuries this most probably would have exceeded $5000. Of course due to the late payment for this figure there will be interest which will have also compounded quite considerably by now.
As your injury occurred while you were a child and before you were working the impact upon your capacity to earn will need to be considered.
With regards to the medical evidence a medical professional will be able to examine you and confirm that you have suffered an accident event causing an injury and then quantify the degree of disability caused by that injury for the purposes of assisting ACC calculate your entitlements.
You should be asking the ACC what potential entitlements would be payable to you.


Thomas

As though ACC tell the truth???

Mini
2

#4 User is offline   tommy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1473
  • Joined: 21-September 05

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:07 PM

a battle uphill here ,,, unfortunately ,, with these historic claims ,,, many good lucks ,,, and then whom is going to present your claim ,, and as there are no records ,,, what a disaster to begin with ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
1

#5 User is offline   Brucey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8319
  • Joined: 26-January 07
  • LocationEarth

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:39 AM

If you need any advice I suggest you have a word with a lawyer or a good ACC advocate. I would strongly advise you not to take any advice from Alan Thomas, he is a twice convicted criminal, a very dangerous man, and a vexatious litigant. He is not qualified to advise on ACC matters.

https://www.nzherald...jectid=10740850
4

#6 User is offline   fjvermeeren 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 26-November 18
  • Locationwellington

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the info and reply's

So far iv received my personal medical records/history from when i was a child.
or so i thought,the doctors/hospital records only date back to 1995 the injury was in the late 1970's

I did manage to get in touch with an ACC advocate.
The conversation with them on the phone didn't give me a lot of confidence in the process/outcome because its an historical claim
I'm about to fill out a application form,send it off and see if they accept it.

Thanks.
1

#7 User is offline   Brucey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 8319
  • Joined: 26-January 07
  • LocationEarth

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:01 AM

 fjvermeeren, on 01 December 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

Thanks for the info and reply's

So far iv received my personal medical records/history from when i was a child.
or so i thought,the doctors/hospital records only date back to 1995 the injury was in the late 1970's

I did manage to get in touch with an ACC advocate.
The conversation with them on the phone didn't give me a lot of confidence in the process/outcome because its an historical claim
I'm about to fill out a application form,send it off and see if they accept it.

Thanks.


good luck, and all the best for a good outcome.
0

#8 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9354
  • Joined: 10-June 06

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:08 AM

 fjvermeeren, on 01 December 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

Thanks for the info and reply's

So far iv received my personal medical records/history from when i was a child.
or so i thought,the doctors/hospital records only date back to 1995 the injury was in the late 1970's

I did manage to get in touch with an ACC advocate.
The conversation with them on the phone didn't give me a lot of confidence in the process/outcome because its an historical claim
I'm about to fill out a application form,send it off and see if they accept it.

Thanks.


This is something the legislation requires that your doctor do. In other words it is your doctors medical information that matters, after clinical analysis and discussing your history, not your own understanding of your medical condition. The doctor then produces legal information by which the ACC must then act on by way of a decision.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users