Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

food Grant help

#1 User is offline   nytcrawler 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

In need of a lil help I'm on acc and would like know if and how would I get help with emergency food grants while with acc thanks all

#2 User is offline   Alan Thomas 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

View Postnytcrawler, on 08 June 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

In need of a lil help I'm on acc and would like know if and how would I get help with emergency food grants while with acc thanks all

Go to WINZ for a top up

#3 User is offline   anonymousey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

View Postnytcrawler, on 08 June 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

If you ring the 0800 number for WINZ the calltaker should be able to tell you how to proceed nytcrawler eg they may ask questions and be able to say take this evidence down to the local office.

This will help you stop wasting your time or energy or money by getting to the office and then being turned away because you may not have all the paperwork perhaps?

However once you are in the WINZ system ...then you get a little plastic green payment card which is similar to EFTPOS and then this can be loaded with money in any future emergency if you have remaining entitlement etc

There is a Basic Food Grant level which can be used nytcrawler but some families can access more assistance under additional casemanager help ...

There also may be local charities who link to the Food emergency too ...and they can be really helpful if you have exhausted the annual entitlement within a short time etc etc

If you are popping online with free WIFI ...try googling WINZ groups on Facebook as there is some brilliant information there ...plus volunteers depending on region who can help you with the whole rigamarole at WINZ ... or the charities etc

#4 User is offline   nytcrawler 

• Pip

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thank you very much that is a lot of help and should save me time and money I appreciate your time in replying I'll give it a go in the morning thank you

#5 User is offline   anonymousey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

Good as gold nytcrawler :)

Also as I am not sure what region you live in and factoring in your health energy and costs to get down to the office [esp if rural to WINZ locals] ... but one thing that may be important is to remember WINZ can be just as confusing as ACC ie different casemanagers may be telling you different stories and then denying the others information etc Its pretty standard operating process in that they will want some evidence of your income [used to be a bank statement showing last ten transactions but have eased up a bit] and what they consider would be a reason as to why you need money for food eg you have had unexpected family empty your cupboards or car troubles or wallet lost/taken but this may need a police number to show its been reported I think?

Also when you are on the telephone to them, or in the office, this is where keeping records can be essential ...so if you are phoning anyone because they will record you ... I think there are some cheap cheerful apps for iphone or android so you can record them too etc I record all my interactions nowadays via an olde nokia because they are a memory prompt for me, and I also ask for any papers to be photocopied &or decisions in writing etc

Also once you've got the money for food and spent it ... you may find that you can get extra help more regularly from WINZ if your circumstances mean your ERC is not enough to cover everything etc I am thinking of topups and other emergencies like dental or clothing & accomodation needs nytcrawler ...but FB groups or the local Citizens Advice should be able to point you in the right direction too for these types of entitlements possibly open to you too :)

#6 User is offline   Huggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

Hi Nytcrawler and welcome to the forum.

Indeed ring up WINZ, because dependent on how much you receive from ACC and if on the lower scale, there may be entitlements such as help with accommodation costs and possibly a top up if the amount ACC is paying is below the WINZ payment amounts.

In some cases, it is not unheard of that someone can be paid more on a WINZ benefit than on ACC, but of course this can be dependent on your circumstances.

WINZ should be able to advise if there is anything that they can assist with.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users