ACCforum: Alleged fake psychiatrist frustrated with wait for trial - ACCforum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alleged fake psychiatrist frustrated with wait for trial

#1 User is offline   hukildaspida 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 3346
  • Joined: 24-August 07

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:06 PM

Alleged fake psychiatrist frustrated with wait for trial

LIBBY WILSON

Last updated 16:54, July 21 2016

http://www.stuff.co....69076856174.jpg

Mohamed Shakeel Siddiqui
told the court he can't understand why he can't stand trial before March 2017. He's pictured in August 2015.

A man who allegedly faked qualifications to land a psychiatrist job can't understand why he's waiting more than a year for his trial.

Mohamed Shakeel Siddiqui, 55, was first charged in July 2015 and he complained about the wait when he appeared in Hamilton District Court on Thursday by audiovisual link.

He will face trial on 10 charges including claiming to be a health practitioner when unqualified, obtaining by deception, using forged documents and other fraud charges.



Mohamed Shakeel Siddiqui allegedly faked qualifications so he could work as a psychiatrist at the Waikato District Health Board. He's pictured during a previous audiovisual link appearance.

Siddiqui made his first court appearance on the matter in July 2015, the day after he resigned from the Waikato District Health Board.

READ MORE:
* 'Fake' Waikato DHB psychiatrist charged with fraud
* 'Fake' psychiatrist loses suppression bid
* Alleged fake Waikato DHB psychiatrist has been granted bail
* Accused 'fake' psychiatrist arrested at airport

He had been working as a consultant psychiatrist for about six months for Waikato DHB and concerns were raised about his "professional ability".

On Thursday, Siddiqui spoke to Judge Noel Cocurullo‚Äč and the court through a muffled AV line after hearing the tentative date for his trial is March 2017.

"Almost more than a year has elapsed. I was always of the opinion that my trial was going to be November or something like that," he said.

"I'm in custody. I need to take care of my children... I don't know why it's taking so long."

Siddiqui was previously represented by Kerry Burroughs but has recently made a change.


His defence counsel is now Philip Morgan QC, who was the Crown prosecutor for the 2015 retrial of Mark Lundy.

Morgan said he had recently taken Siddiqui on as a client, so he hadn't had time to prepare as he would have liked and Siddiqui hadn't yet seen copies of witness statements.

"However, he is in custody and I would like to see his case progress," Morgan said.

The trial would require overseas witnesses, he said, and the tentative date is March 20, 2017.

"As I understand it, the March date is as good as we can do. But I'm not ruling out the possibility of seeking an earlier date."

He hopes another date might open up before Siddiqui's callover in October 2016.

There were many matters before the courts, Crown prosecutor Rebecca Mann said, and Siddiqui might not understand that they all had to be prioritised according to the resources available.

Cocurullo remanded Siddiqui in custody until October 6.
0

#2 User is offline   hukildaspida 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 3346
  • Joined: 24-August 07

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

If he has used faked documents for his career, it may well be he has used "fake" documents elsewhere as they tend to go hand in glove.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users