ACCforum: MSD quiet on action in sexual abuse case - ACCforum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MSD quiet on action in sexual abuse case

#1 User is offline   hukildaspida 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 3353
  • Joined: 24-August 07

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:06 PM

MSD quiet on action in sexual abuse case

Last updated 19:27, March 14 2016


http://www.stuff.co....xual-abuse-case
The Ministry of Social Development is refusing to say whether or not it alerted police to a historic complaint of sexual abuse at one of its homes.

A 45-year-old woman, who has permanent name suppression, was among several women indecently assaulted or raped while living at the Girls' Home in Elliot St, Dunedin by Edward Anand between 1980 and 1986.

She alerted staff at the home that she had been sexually abused by Anand. Staff then confronted Anand who denied the allegations. He resigned and never returned to the home. He was convicted of a string of sexual assault charges last week.

It remains unclear what further action the staff took after they were first told of Anand's behaviour.

The woman is seeking compensation from the Government over its handling of the case.

Ministry of Social Development general manager, client advocacy and review Janet Green refused to say whether ministry staff alerted police about the incident.

She said the ministry had received a number of claims regarding Anand, two of which had been resolved.

It is understood the two women received $25,000 compensation each.

Green said police had passed the ministry's details to other victims of Anand and encouraged others to get in touch.

"No young person in our care should be subject to abuse of any kind.


"The ministry has no tolerance whatsoever for staff who breach the trust of young people in such a way."

Green said the ministry carried out a thorough enquiry into every case.

"Where we have got it wrong, we will apologise. Claimants may receive a financial payment if they have come to harm because of a failure of state care.

"We also look at what other help we can provide, such as counselling."

The woman said she was "99 per cent sure" there were other victims. She planned to seek a more substantial compensation sum.

"I've never had a normal life because of what he's done to me."

Anand, now 67, had denied sexually abusing 10 girls at the home between 1980 and 1986, the Otago Daily Times
reported.

On Friday at the Dunedin District Court, a jury found him guilty on five charges of rape and seven of indecent assault and not guilty on three charges of rape and one of indecent assault.

They were unable to reach a unanimous verdict on a rape allegation made by one of the complainants, the newspaper reported.

Anand was remanded in custody for sentencing in May.

The ministry said it may comment further after that.







- Stuff
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users