ACCforum: Manage My Health - Silverstream Health Centre patients reassured over online patient portal - ACCforum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Manage My Health - Silverstream Health Centre patients reassured over online patient portal

#1 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

Silverstream Health Centre patients reassured over online patient portal

BLAKE CRAYTON-BROWN

Last updated 12:32, March 15 2016

http://www.stuff.co....-patient-portal

Patients at Silverstream Health Centre are being assured an accidental disclosure of patient information was a one-off.

GP Dr Marko Kljakovic accidentally sent a message to all patients signed up to the centre's Manage My Health portal early last week.

The message, intended to be a reply to a single patient, contained advice about diet, instructions about taking medication and discussion of the patient's cholesterol and thyroid levels.

A patient, who did not want to be named, wrote to The Upper Hutt Leader expressing concern.

"I am seriously considering withdrawing from the use of this service as a consequence of this privacy breach," that patient wrote.

They said they were frustrated by an email sent by Kljakovic retracting the accidental mass-message but which in upper case asked people to STOP CONTACTING THE SURGERY about the message.

"I find the lack of apology and reassurance extremely concerning," the concerned patient said.

Kljakovic told Fairfax Media the patient discussed in the message could not be identified by what was sent out.

The message was the result of him accidentally hitting the wrong button, he said.

"It wasn't a breach of security into the system. It was a straight error, instead of going to one person it was sent inadvertently to people and was retracted immediately."

Kljakovic said lots of patients had queries about the message, so he sent a second message to all those who had received the first.

"I suggested, well, I sort of said to stop the phone calls to the staff and I should have been a bit more forthcoming in terms of apologies."

He said Manage My Health was very secure and was an outstanding site for patients.

"We want to get a large per cent of our patients on it as it's an excellent site for people to make appointments, to view their own records, to get their own health information and to interact with doctors."

Kljakovic said he apologised wholeheartedly about the message and wished he had thought more before sending his second message.

There had been a meeting of staff at the centre following the message being accidentally step and a change in processes would follow.

A two-step process would be used before such messages would be sent in the future rather than just the one step there had been.

- Upper Hutt Leader

#2 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

People need to be mindful that some of these notification methods incur a cost, e.g if you text back to a text that one has been sent in regards to Medical information

We are aware there have also been other incidents where the wrong person has been contacted due to incorrect phone number been used.

Some of these systems are not at all 'safe' methods of contacting patients about their private Medical matters

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users