ACCforum: John Key: Max gets a lot of haters - I do worry - ACCforum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

John Key: Max gets a lot of haters - I do worry The Harmful Digital Communications Bill

#1 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

Children under 14 can't be charged with cyberbullying yet they can use public library computers without parental knowledge or written consent or supervision and can access pretty much whatever sites they like.

The only public library in New Zealand, according to our Google searches, that doesn't fit into the aforementioned category is here in Rotorua where one must be over the age of 18 years.

Children under the age of 14 years by law are required to be under parental or a guardians care at all times to the best of our knowledge.

John Key: Max gets a lot of haters - I do worry
9:44 AM Thursday Mar 3, 2016

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11599254

Save

Like on Facebook 979
Twitter 0
Post on LinkedIn 0
+1 on Google+ 0

Politics

John Key with his son Max. He says his son gets a lot of flak online. Photo / Instagram John Key with his son Max. He says his son gets a lot of flak online. Photo / Instagram

Prime Minister John Key has told officials working on a youth mental health programme he is particularly worried about cyberbullying - saying for many young people "it is really awful out there" on social media.

Mr Key yesterday met with officials who were reviewing aspects of a $62 million package to improve youth mental health services. The initiative, launched in 2012, has its foundations in a report by science adviser Sir Peter Gluckman that highlighted the risks facing young New Zealanders.

On More FM this morning, Mr Key was asked about the flak his son Max had taken from some after his new job as a DJ on George FM.

Last month the Prime Minister's son read out on air a series of negative messages directed at him through the radio station's social media pages.

"They asked him to read some out ... to be honest, he handles it amazingly well.

I often say to him, because he gets a lot of haters on his Instagram or Facebook or whatever, but he also gets a lot of people supporting him, but I often say to him, you appreciate half the country is not going to terribly like me ... just don't take it personally," Mr Key said.

"I do worry, it is a bit of a load for any young person to carry. But to be truthful it's not limited to Max ... I was just saying to the [youth mental health programme] reviewers who came in, I do worry about this online, cyberbullying, not just for Max but for every kid - it is really awful out there actually on Facebook and Snapchat, you know."

Last June, a wide-reaching law that will criminalise online communications deemed deliberately harmful passed into law.

The Harmful Digital Communications Bill is designed to crack down on cyberbullying, but opponents have warned it is too vague and could be used as a weapon against free speech.

It created a new offence of sending messages or posting material online that were intended to cause harm, and did so. Children under 14 can't be charged with cyberbullying and those aged 14 to 16 will go into the youth justice system.

When the law was passed, Act Party leader David Seymour told the House that it was a "knee-jerk" reaction that was a "case study in bad law making", and would have a chilling effect on free speech.

- NZ Herald

Email
Print

#2 User is offline   MINI 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

The above press release sounds as though the Prime Minister is surprised at this attack on his son.

I sent a copy to the then Justice Minister/ACC Minister in 2013 showing what this cyberbullying can do to little old ladies.

They did bugger all about it. And the language used was such that it would never be permitted to be read out over the Air, as his sons obviously were.

John Key told his son that half of NZ would not like him, so take no notice of it. Of that half, hardly any would even think of attacking his son in cyberspace to make his life miserable.

These are a certain breed of people who do this sort of thing!! Not everyone of that 50% who do not like John key would do this to his son. We all know it only takes a couple with a lot of AKA'S, to make it seem like a lot.

Mini

#3 User is offline   MINI 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:21 AM

The above press release sounds as though the Prime Minister is surprised at this attack on his son.

I sent a copy to the then Justice Minister/ACC Minister in 2013 showing what this cyberbullying can do to little old ladies.

They did bugger all about it. And the language used was such that it would never be permitted to be read out over the Air, as his sons obviously were.

John Key told his son that half of NZ would not like him, so take no notice of it. Of that half, hardly any would even think of attacking his son in cyberspace to make his life miserable.

These are a certain breed of people who do this sort of thing!! Not everyone of that 50% who do not like John key would do this to his son. We all know it only takes a couple with a lot of AKA'S, to make it seem like a lot.

He should really read his mail, and keep up with what his Ministers are doing, or not doing in this case. If they stopped it happening to one group of people, ie elderly folk, the young ones then may learn a lesson as to what can happen to them if they cycberbully anyone.

Mini

#4 User is offline   MINI 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

He should really read his mail, and keep up with what his Ministers are doing, or not doing in this case. If they stopped it happening to one group of people, ie elderly folk, the young ones then may learn a lesson as to what can happen to them if they cycberbully anyone.

Mini

#5 User is offline   Brucey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationEarth

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

Barry Soper: PM's son doesn't deserve cyber bullying - and neither
Posted Image

It's the age we live in and for some it's not a very pleasant age. Vile and mean spirited people can tap away at their keyboards imparting venom to virtually anyone they don't like.

It's now a crime to deliberately harm others online but that doesn't stop them. The psychological damage done, particularly to the vulnerable young, largely goes unreported. It's usually only when someone takes their life or does self harm that the extent of cyber bullying comes to light.

John Key drew attention to it this week when he met with officials reviewing a package to review youth mental health services which was the brainchild of his science advisor Sir Peter Gluckman.

The Prime Minister said it was pretty awful out there for many young people in the so-called social media world. A better name for it would be anti-social media.

He cited the bile directed at his son Max, who last month read out on radio many of the vile messages he'd received.

Key offered his boy some consoling words, saying there's half the country out there that doesn't like him and suggested to Max not to take it personally.

But he doesn't deserve it and neither does anyone else.

This is an unfortunate new phenomenon for Prime Minister's families. The last to occupy Premier House with a family was Jenny Shipley and her two children escaped largely unscathed, but then social media wasn't around to the same extent then, with the internet kicking off just 20 years ago.

The main channel for the bullies, texts, began in earnest just over a dozen years ago with the most insidious, Twitter, giving the mainly anonymous trolls and bottom feeders their platform almost exactly ten years ago.

Since then it's been all on and of course it's not just the young who're the subject of the venom - we're all targets. Write an opinion piece like this and the keyboards come out and the nasty fingers go into overdrive.

The most common theme of my expressing a preference for a flag change this week was that I had no right to even express a view, and because it happened to be the same as the Prime Minister's, I was - of course - his sycophantic cheerleader.

READ MORE:
Sexting parents' nightmare
How to deal with young children using smart devices
Principal responds after students suffer cyber backlash

No doubt if the argument was to stick with the current flag I'd be in the pocket of the confused Labour Party, a claim that has been made in the past by the very same inconsistent trolls.

Point is, surely we're all entitled to have a view, we live in a democracy. You don't have to agree with it but disagreement doesn't warrant the bile that's daily dished up to those who hold a different point of view.

- NZME.

By Barry Soper

#6 User is offline   MINI 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostBrucey, on 05 March 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

Barry Soper: PM's son doesn't deserve cyber bullying - and neither
Posted Image

It's the age we live in and for some it's not a very pleasant age. Vile and mean spirited people can tap away at their keyboards imparting venom to virtually anyone they don't like.

It's now a crime to deliberately harm others online but that doesn't stop them. The psychological damage done, particularly to the vulnerable young, largely goes unreported. It's usually only when someone takes their life or does self harm that the extent of cyber bullying comes to light.

John Key drew attention to it this week when he met with officials reviewing a package to review youth mental health services which was the brainchild of his science advisor Sir Peter Gluckman.

The Prime Minister said it was pretty awful out there for many young people in the so-called social media world. A better name for it would be anti-social media.

He cited the bile directed at his son Max, who last month read out on radio many of the vile messages he'd received.

Key offered his boy some consoling words, saying there's half the country out there that doesn't like him and suggested to Max not to take it personally.

But he doesn't deserve it and neither does anyone else.

This is an unfortunate new phenomenon for Prime Minister's families. The last to occupy Premier House with a family was Jenny Shipley and her two children escaped largely unscathed, but then social media wasn't around to the same extent then, with the internet kicking off just 20 years ago.

The main channel for the bullies, texts, began in earnest just over a dozen years ago with the most insidious, Twitter, giving the mainly anonymous trolls and bottom feeders their platform almost exactly ten years ago.

Since then it's been all on and of course it's not just the young who're the subject of the venom - we're all targets. Write an opinion piece like this and the keyboards come out and the nasty fingers go into overdrive.

The most common theme of my expressing a preference for a flag change this week was that I had no right to even express a view, and because it happened to be the same as the Prime Minister's, I was - of course - his sycophantic cheerleader.

READ MORE:
Sexting parents' nightmare
How to deal with young children using smart devices
Principal responds after students suffer cyber backlash

No doubt if the argument was to stick with the current flag I'd be in the pocket of the confused Labour Party, a claim that has been made in the past by the very same inconsistent trolls.

Point is, surely we're all entitled to have a view, we live in a democracy. You don't have to agree with it but disagreement doesn't warrant the bile that's daily dished up to those who hold a different point of view.

- NZME.

By Barry Soper

Getting these teens help after the fact is too late. They should be taught what can happen when it goes viral. After all someone had to put it onto the web!!

Bad moves videoing it in the first place, which I bet David Butler wished he hadn't allowed to happen now.!!

Mini

#7 User is offline   tommy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

change has and will always bring complications it appears , as in history shows . it seems to enable varying persons to rectify an issue which was or was not anticipated to happen , and hence the goody brigade enters just at the near end when supposedly all hope is lost, nothing has changed

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users