ACCforum: Cordons lifted after bomb scare at Palmerston North WINZ offices - ACCforum

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cordons lifted after bomb scare at Palmerston North WINZ offices

#1 User is offline   hukildaspida 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 3353
  • Joined: 24-August 07

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

Cordons lifted after bomb scare at Palmerston North WINZ offices

Last updated 14:01, November 17 2015

http://www.stuff.co....th-winz-offices



Inspector Sarah Stewart at a media standup following a bomb scare at the Palmerston North Work and Income offices.

The cordon around a block of Palmerston North's central city has been lifted after a bomb scare at the Ministry of Social Development's Work and Income offices.

Police district deployment manager Ross Grantham
said there was a report of two bags being left at the offices in Main St, prompting an evacuation of the Broadway Ave-Main St city block between The Square and Princess St.

The bags were left in the office about 10.15am by a "disgruntled" man who had previously made threats at the office.
Police carry the two suspicious bags out of the work and income offices after the all clear was given.

Murray Wilson/ Fairfax NZ

Police carry the two suspicious bags out of the work and income offices after the all clear was given.

A bomb disposal unit was called in, but bomb detecting dogs founding nothing explosive about the bags when they arrived about 12.15pm.

Manawatu area commander Inspector Sarah Stewart said the packages had contained "personal items".

"I can confirm that [the] suspicious package has been cleared by police bomb dogs and people are allowed back in the cordons.

Police evacuate people from buildings in the central city.
Murray Wilson

Police evacuate people from buildings in the central city.

"We're still looking for the person who owns the items and we [will] continue inquiries to locate him."

Ministry of Social Development staff were allowed back in the building as soon as the cordon was lifted.

Stewart said security guards noticed the parcel immediately after it was left and contacted police.

Police stop vehicles entering Broadway Ave as a block of businesses is evacuated.
Grant Matthew

Police stop vehicles entering Broadway Ave as a block of businesses is evacuated.

About 150 people were evacuated from the area.


She said to her knowledge the threat was not connected to a bomb threat made against the Wellington District Court this morning. The courthouse was evacuated, but nothing suspicious was found. People were allowed back into the court by 11am.

Stewart thanked the Palmerston North community for their assistance.

- Stuff
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users