holds a lot of older info....

hope that helps?

#3 User is offline   MINI 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

View Postanonymousey, on 18 July 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

I have posted the above article as it brings to mind previous cases of employers dismissing staff after they sustained an accident within the workplace :angry:/>

I am not sure if there are any online archives which would identify cases, issues & trends? I am also not sure if the employer is taken to Court by the Department of Labour - whether or not if there is an automatic responsibility or role that ACC also meets?

For example, I am aware of a case back in the old days [1970s & so long before many worker NZ employment rights evolved] that involved an employer who was dismissing staff on receipt of medical certificate detailing an accident. There were many casualities before the DOL finally took an interest in this workplace....

AFAIK the investigations uncovered the fact that in addition to the near slave labour conditions and multiple breaches therein of these laws at that time by the owner boss - the reason I understand that was given for dismissal was so as to specifically prevent ACC scrutiny!! So in addition to the huge problems for exploited people with the hardships of underpayments of staff wages, suffering injuries + acc attention, and being dismissed with that ignominy &or winz sanction risks IMHO - there may also have been deceptions with regards to levy payments too?

So unfortunately - this case does NOT surprise me sadly :(/>

I am now left wondering how many other people have been similarly treated?

I am wondering what role or responsibility that ACC may hold?

Do these [especially if convicted] employers become part of a register perhaps? I am thinking of future situations where innocents are harmed etc

Also wondering where would these courtcases or case decisions [& include if out of court settlements reached] might be located?

Basically if perchance I wished to look up the old case records - I am wondering if this would be possible?

It will hardly be likely you will find much on 'out of court' settlements, as they are usually 'confidential'. In the cases of the 'tit-bits' you may pick up, it has probably come about because of the need for ACC to contact empolyers because of calculation and affirmation of last years wages etc. Depending on the nature of any payout will depend if it can be classed as income in the hands of the recipient or not for ACC purposes.

There are lots of rules and regulations and laws that would need a mile of stuff to be kept as confidential.

There is the case still going I believe, so therefore you can keep look out for and that is the one where the guy came in here and told us most of the story before it got to the point of being confidential, and that was up north where the logs are being harvested to ship off to Chinese for them to make furniture out of and then reship back to us to sell in furniture shops. (Been in news recently.) That guy had had solvent thrown in his face as he was on the way out to check of the logs being unbogged. He was in the paper and worked for the council. He lost his job I think.

It would be interesting to see want the Employment court had to say about that one, so if you happen to stumble over it please post it up. The powers that be will probably kept it quite. If anyone can still remember his name, as it was in the paper, it would be good to catch up with him and find out where he is at with his fight, with accredited employer and action he is at now. He will be a focus of attention for reporters I should think with the stuff flying about the logs in the limelight. Made a big blunder getting rid of him, they have no more control over what he says I am guessing. (Unless all confidential of course.)

There is a register of law case for employment law. Am unsure if it takes in the first step though. Some get settled there.

Hope this of a little help to your research.

Mini

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users