• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

Monster slide descends into chaos

CATE BROUGHTON
Last updated 18:21, February 1 2015

http://www.stuff.co....ends-into-chaos

A giant slip n slide event which drew 3000 people to the Christchurch suburb of Sumner today descended into chaos as unhappy customers spent up to two and a half hours queuing to get a turn.

Concerns about safety were also raised and a 54-year-old man was taken to Christchurch Hospital by the Westpac rescue helicopter with suspected spinal injuries after being knocked over by another slider at the bottom of the 250-metre slide.

The Christchurch Monster Slide event was the first of a series being held around New Zealand, with another one scheduled for Nelson tomorrow.

Ticket prices varied from $15 for three slides up to $99 for 10 slides and special lane access.

Organiser Jamie Templeton, from event company Trill Productions, admitted too many tickets had been sold.

By mid-afternoon about 100 people had asked for a refund, he said.

Faith Hensley-Smith bought two $50 "all you can slide" tickets for her children for Christmas but was far from impressed.

She said they had spent hours in the queue since arriving at 11am but by 3pm had only been down the slide twice.

Parents were joining the queue for their children, to try to get them more slides, and some children were blatantly queue-jumping, Hensley-Smith said.

Staff told Hensley-Smith to write down her name and email address, but that a refund was not guaranteed.

Dissatisfied customers reported disappointment with the long queues, the length of the slide, safety and the gradient of the slide not being steep enough on the event's Facebook page.

Templeton said refunds would be managed by the ticketing company on a case by case basis.

"We can't give people refunds on the spot because we run through a ticketing agent. We have a process, they sign a form and we pass that on to the ticketing company and they get in touch and offer a refund. That's the process."

Half of the Christchurch event's 40 volunteer slide marshalls had not turned up which Templeton said had put a lot of pressure on the existing staff.

He was considering employing marshall volunteers for future events.

The $40,000 ramp, built especially for the flat Sumner location, had not delivered the results he wanted and another location would be sought for next year's event.

"We built a massive nine metre high ramp, and installed that for the customers so they could have something really cool to slide on - and to be honest a lot of people are having fun - but it's not giving the distance that we need."

Trial runs for the event had taken place on hillsides, he said.

- The Press

#2 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

This is more like a slide.

Can guarantee there was no health & safety regulations in place in 1913 like there is in today's day & age - around 100 years later.

General view of Wonderland, Auckland Exhibition, Auckland Domain

http://natlib.govt.n...23252745?search[i][subject]=New+Zealand&search[il][subject]=Amusement+rides&search[path]=items

View taken looking towards the water-chute-end of the Wonderland pool. A boat with two men on board has just come off the chute into the pool. People are standing around the edge of the pool watching. The Continuous Pictures building is at the far end of the pool behind the water chute. Photograph taken by William Archer Price (Price Photographic Company), 4 Dec 1913 at the Auckland Exhibition, Auckland Domain.

Inscriptions: Inscribed - Photographer's title on negative -bottom centre: Wonderland. Auckland Exhibition 1913-4. Protd. P.P.Co. 4.12.13. No 2956.

View of the Wonderland chute at the Auckland Exhibition, Auckland Domain

http://natlib.govt.n...22816439?search[i][subject]=New+Zealand&search[il][subject]=Amusement+rides&search[path]=items

Date: 1 Nov 1913

Ref: 1/2-001139-G

View taken looking down from the top of the Wonderland chute to the empty pool area below. Various other buildings in the exhibition can be side beyond and to the right, some still under construction. Auckland Hospital can be seen on the horizon. Photograph taken by William Archer Price (Price Photographic Company), 1 Nov 1913 just prior to the opening of the Auckland Exhibition in Auckland Domain.

Inscriptions: Inscribed - Photographer's title on negative -bottom centre: Auckland Exhibition. 1913-4. Protd. P.P.Co. 1.11.13. No 2915..

View of Wonderland, Auckland Exhibition, Auckland Domain, looking towards the water chute

http://natlib.govt.n...23086025?search[i][subject]=New+Zealand&search[il][subject]=Amusement+rides&search[page]=2&search[path]=items

Date: 1 Jan 1914

Ref: 1/2-000834

View taken from a high vantage point looking down onto the pool at the bottom of the Wonderland water chute. People are standing around the edge of the pool watching the boats coming down the water chute. The buildings housing the Continuous Pictures and the Machinery Court are visible. Mount Victoria and North Head, Devonport can be seen across the Waitemata Harbour. Rangitoto Island can be seen on the horizon. Photograph taken by William Archer Price (Price Photographic Company), 1 Jan 1914 at the Auckland Exhibition, Auckland Domain.

#3 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

Monster Slide leaves rider with brain injury

ANNA BRADLEY-SMITH

Last updated 07:12, August 19 2015

http://www.stuff.co....ain-injury.html

Nikki Gibbs suffered a brain injury riding the Monster Slide in Nelson.

For Nikki Gibbs, the infamous Monster Slide has left more than a bad impression - it has left her without a job, the ability to drive and much of her freedom.

The 26-year-old Nelson woman, who worked as a crew member at the Nelson Anniversary Day event in February, suffered a traumatic brain injury when she slipped and fell backwards while having a turn on the slide, smashing her head "full force" and knocking herself unconscious.

A friend saw what happened and walked her to the ambulance, where she said she collapsed again before being taken to hospital.

Monster Slide has failed to get a foot hold in Australia. The Australian operator has scrapped its business model, which "does not make financial sense".

"I've since been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, post-concussion syndrome and spinal injuries.

"Just today I've lost my job officially, I was forced to resign or I would have had my contract terminated."

Her job as a social worker for intellectually disabled children was more than just a job, it was all she had left, she said.

"I'm absolutely gutted, that was my dream job. I dreamed of having it my whole life but there's just no way I can do that now. I needed to be on the ball."

READ MORE:
* Monster slide descends into chaos
* Woman knocked out on Sumner Monster Slide
* Monster Slide director defends his mistakes
* Australian flop for slide organisers

She suffered badly from short-term memory loss, severe fatigue, chronic headaches, light and sound sensitivity, slow reaction speed, vertigo, and could no longer drive, she said.

She had no doubt it was all because of the fall. "I was absolutely fine before that, I was a really hard worker and I loved my job."

Gibbs had to wear sunglasses wherever she went. She had weekly rehab, saw a physio, was working with a pain clinic, and was having counselling.

"I'm so angry, that's a huge symptom of it," she said.

http://static.stuff....75/12450775.jpg

Nikki Gibbs after the accident.

Gibbs said she was taking her new reality one day at a time.

"I've gone from being a service provider to being a service user. It's horrible. There's just no describing it.

"My life is turned completely upside down now. I have literally lost everything I worked so hard for."

She wanted to share her story so people would think twice before having a go on the slide if it came back.

She had not contacted the organisers of the event following her diagnosis because, it was something she had needed to deal with herself, she said.

"I did ring a lawyer and spoke to them very briefly and they basically said that ACC is there for compensation."

When she saw the slide had to comply with certain safety criteria in Australia, Gibbs said she commented on the company's Facebook page asking why it had not been the same in New Zealand to avoid accidents like her own.

"They deleted my comment and banned me from posting anything on the page."

She said she was not surprised the franchise was not doing well across the Tasman and would "like to see them shut down forever".

Jamie Templeton - the director of Trill Productions,
which traded as Monster Slide in New Zealand - said the Monster Slide team were shocked to hear of Nikki's ongoing difficulties.

"Whilst any injury to anyone using the slide is unfortunate, our slide marshals at the top induct each slider to ensure they use correct technique when sliding. In Nikki's case, our reports said she has run down the slide and slipped backwards, banging her head and continuing her slide till the end."

He said as with any activity there were inherent risks with the slide and organisers updated the health and safety protocols constantly to ensure accidents were prevented.

The Monster Slide event moved to Australia in March, with organisers hopeful they could make it a success, despite the string of controversies in New Zealand.

Hundreds of unsatisfied customers were promised refunds after the event was marred by long queues, serious injuries to some sliders, and the calling off of events in Wellington and Dunedin.

Several supplied also claimed they were owed thousands of dollars, and this week the Australian operator, Monster Slide Australia Pty, confirmed it was tearing up its original business model after failing to run three advertised events.

- Stuff

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users