• PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

'Sexy' asbestos email sent by Cera manager

NICOLE MATHEWSON
Last updated 05:00 06/06/2014

http://www.stuff.co....by-Cera-manager

VIOLET KRUMBEIN/YouTube

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority staff member sent contractors a link to this "very inappropriate" YouTube video

Tim Pow
Stacy Squires/Fairfax NZ

'POOR TASTE': The link to the "inappropriate" video was sent by Cera residential red zone operations manager Tim Pow.

A Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) staff member sent contractors a link to a ''very inappropriate'' YouTube video, depicting a fictional woman who wants to meet asbestos workers for sex before they die of cancer.

The video clip, titled Asbestos Girl, features a woman talking to an asbestos worker in a bar about how people in his profession are brave ''because you know you're going to die of mesothelioma''.

Mesothelioma is a rare fatal cancer of the lining of the lungs or abdominal cavity and can be caused by asbestos, a known carcinogen.

The link to the video was sent to about 40 Cera contractors by Cera residential red zone operations manager Tim Pow on Friday.

Pow's email included the message: ''Now who said Asbestos was not the game to be in.''

The woman in the clip says: ''I'm just asking you to come back to my house, sniff some sealant and remove my asbestos - you know, have sex - before you die of mesothelioma.''

A Christchurch contractor, who did not want to be named, said the video was ''in very poor taste'' and the email had caused outrage among its recipients.

New Zealand Demolition and Asbestos Association executive member Helina Stil said the email was ''pretty strange''.

''They think it's all funny and stuff like that, but actually it's not. It's detrimental to what we're trying to achieve as women, but it's also detrimental to the industry as a whole.'' She told Cera on Monday that the email was ''disappointing''.

''Tim is a really really nice guy but in this instance, the email was inappropriate.''

Stil was concerned that the email also appeared to make light of the fact asbestos was a highly dangerous substance, particularly following criticism last week about how it had been handled during Canterbury's earthquake rebuild.

''I think it's actually very, very poor timing and very, very poor taste.''

Cera chief executive Roger Sutton said the email intended to give people a laugh ''but in reality it was just dumb''.

''The content has caused offence to some, and to anyone that has been offended, I apologise on behalf of Cera.''

Cera was a strong supporter of women working in the rebuild, and about half of its senior leaders were women, along with 64 per cent of its fixed-term and seconded staff, he said.

Cera also treated asbestos management ''very seriously'' and had strict requirements in place for contractors dealing with the substance at Crown-owned properties.

Sutton said Cera would be reminding staff of its policies and expectations for the use of work email.

- The Press

#2 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

City councillor's thank-you note to Roger Sutton
LOIS CAIRNS
Last updated 12:05 24/11/2014

http://www.stuff.co....to-Roger-Sutton

http://static2.stuff...34/10807234.jpg

A senior Christchurch city councillor is drawing flak for penning a thank you note to Roger Sutton and posting it on Facebook.

In the note Cr Glenn Livingstone publicly thanks Sutton nine times for the work he did after the earthquakes, first as Orion chief executive and then as head of the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera).

"Thank you for giving yourself to us. I will always remember that," Livingstone says at the end of the note.

By 9am this morning Livingstone's post had drawn more than 60 likes, but not everyone who read it was impressed.

"Stand by your man? What a stupid thing to put up," Michael Will commented. "I thought you might actually have compassion for the complainant Glenn Livingstone."

"I found this hard to read," Isaac Freeman commented. "I don't mind at all having my attention drawn to the many positive aspects of Sutton's character but I wish you had qualified it with even a sentence acknowledging the serious misconduct that was apparently occurring at the same time."

Margaret Currie questioned why Livingstone would publicly post such a note and lambasted him for showing no concern for the complainant.

"The complainant can't walk down streets in her own city because of this man and people in positions of power who continue to support this man publicly, ignore his wrong doings and gloss over it," she said.

Livingstone declined to talk about why he had posted the thank you note.

"I don't have anything to add about the issue," he emailed.

The Canterbury Communities' Earthquake Recovery Network (Cancern) is also under fire from some quarters for an open letter it has written to Sutton. In the letter Cancern thanks Sutton profusely for his contribution.

"Some of the things you have done have been massive and some just small, but all have been appreciated," the letter said.

"In our experience, you have been a man of and for the people and even with the obvious constraints of being CEO for a government organisation, you have kept the people front and centre.

"On behalf of the Cancern board, staff and membership, thank you for the honesty and integrity with which you worked with us. All the best to you and your family and most of all, enjoy a well deserved Christmas," the letter concluded.

READ MORE:

* Opinion: Sexism is everywhere

* Robyn Malcolm backs Roger Sutton

* Sutton inquiry attacked

* Key, wife did not hear Sutton 'sex slur'

* The Sutton file: Who's who

* What is sexual harassment?

* Roger Sutton's victim 'torn up'

* SSC 'to blame' for media storm

* Sutton breached confidentiality - Rennie

- The Press

Share this topic: