ACCforum: Valiebasket.com and its protectors (not excluding Trademe) - ACCforum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Valiebasket.com and its protectors (not excluding Trademe) It's about outfits that rip you off when you try to buy stuff

#1 User is offline   NoShit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hello, it's me again. I got tired of Lauda Finem and got into consumer fraud instead. (Probably not a lot of difference.) ;)

I have a report for you about how online business scamming works. Some of the graphics probably won't transalte from Word, but bear with it. If you want to the full glorious display visit the websites through the links provided.

First, a wee exchange between me and Trademe and eBay. (I'll start posting my report in another post, and another, and another.)

Here's the exchange:

To: '[email protected]']

It now appears that, as a result of the reporting you banned from your website, eBay has now delisted Valuebasket not only in the UK but worldwide.

No doubt you won't be following suit. Which will be interesting.

Sent: Sunday, 2 February 2014 6:03 p.m.
To: 'Trade Me Support'
Subject: RE: Trade Me - Message Board Suspension -- ID# 002-412-646

eBay seems to take a view vastly different from yours. Instead of trying to shoot the messenger, they actually do something with the message.

And I quote:

[email protected]

Thanks for getting back to us.

We appreciate the time and the effort that you took in reporting valuebasket and I know how worrisome this situation is for any members alike having to see a seller still doing business actively on the site in front of your computer. Don't worry as we have a special team who closely monitor reported member's account, all selling activities/listings will be looked into and once eBay gather all the evidences for inappropriate seller behaviour, we will definitely take action.

Once proven, the seller's account will be sanctioned, consequences could range from a warning to closing their account. Sometimes sanctions on a member's account are not made public, such as buying and selling restrictions and loss of discounts. For privacy reasons, we can't discuss the exact details of the investigation.

Let me reassure you that we take this report seriously and as much as possible we would not want any buyer's to be ripped off as this creates bad buyer experience which is bad for eBay.

Once again, we thank you for making eBay a safe place for buyers alike.

Sincerely,

Michelle D.
eBay Customer Support

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, 2 February 2014 9:34 a.m.
To: [email protected]
Subject: Trade Me - Message Board Suspension -- ID# 002-412-646

Dear Graeme,
We have recently received complaints about the posts you've placed on the Trade Me message boards. Our notes show that you have also breached our message board policy in the past, for which you have received prior warning.

As a result of your most recent breach of the message board rules, we have suspended your ability to post for the next month.

Please do not create any other memberships to avoid this suspension. Your Trade Me account/s will be disabled if our policing team detect that you have created other memberships to post on the boards following this suspension.

We also urge you to familiarise yourself with the message board policy if you intend to continue posting on the boards after your privileges are reinstated:

http://www.trademe.c...3/message-board

Please reply if you'd like to discuss this further. Alternatively, you can call Trade Me on 0900 TRADE (0900 87233). Please be aware, calls cost $1.99 + GST per minute.

Regards,

Toby

Trade Me Support
http://www.trademe.co.nz

That was fun, wasn't it?

#2 User is offline   NoShit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Bad start. The title should read Valuebasket.

I know you won't fall into their trap. At least not by the time I've finished.

#3 User is offline   BLURB 

• accforum.nz
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Much like this ACCforum, when the truth is posted the poster is 'timed-out' and in some instances the post is removed!

#4 User is offline   NoShit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostBLURB, on 03 February 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Much like this ACCforum, when the truth is posted the poster is 'timed-out' and in some instances the post is removed!

Who's the admin guy these days?

#5 User is offline   NoShit 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

OK. Let's start at the beginning. For all you potential purchaser of electronic devices and avid consumers of reviews on would-be sellers.

February 2014

I have had exactly the same experience as very many others on consumer websites across the globe who have given this outfit nihilistic ratings. No product after a month despite empty assurances and pleas of "high volumes" delaying deliveries. Getting my money back may be laborious.

Note: I have sent this report to many organisations, including eBay (which hosted Valuebasket), Trademe (which also hosts Valuebasket – but which has banned me and my reporting for my troubles), Valuebasket itself, “independent” review websites (some well-contaminated by shill reviewers), PayPal, Mastercard, Visa, Canon, Nikon, Samsung, the People’s Republic of China police, the Hong Kong police, the British police, the FBI, the Australian police, the Daily Mail, The Guardian newspaper, the Minister of Consumer Affairs in New Zealand, the NZ Commerce Commission, other consumer authorities and various media outlets in New Zealand.

But to date, it has been gratifying to see that eBay has delisted Valuebasket from all its stores across the globe. A few of the rest I have sent the report to have given “assurances” of action of some sort, sought to escape the issue on “jurisdictional grounds” or are largely transfixed by the problem. Especially Trademe (which, of course, doesn’t want to lose those listing fees – as eBay has done). Others have just ignored it

There is obviously something akin to fraudulent behaviour going on here. VB takes orders, for products it attractively prices (but seems not to actually have), and that it also probably knows it has no hope of filling. It also takes the money and won't readily pay it back when it doesn’t deliver. My feeling this is some sort of pyramid scheme using retail selling instead of straight financial investment. VB takes the money from probably thousands, if not tens of thousands of people across the globe and holds it for as long as possible, doing with it who knows what. If a disgruntled purchaser gets especially rough with them, they may refund the money just to get him/her off their backs. I am seriously disgruntled.

To compound that particular scam, VB (which appears to be based in Hong Kong), sets up fictitious domain addresses in countries like Australia, the UK, NZ and no doubt others which pretend some sort of physical presence in those countries that they don't have. The effect of this is that people are led to believe they have the consumer protections of the country they live in, have access to local complaint procedures, and can expect swift delivery. All of these expectations are false.

Then ValueBasket uses shill reviewers, according to http://www.productre...lue-basket.html, to give itself rave reviews on consumer review websites. Once these were culled fromhttp://www.productre...lue-basket.html, for example, 87% of customers found ValueBasket’s performance to be “bad” (a handful) and “terrible” (the vast majority).

ValueBasket (in corespondence with me) has pointed out hat: “I appreciate some of the reviews online are negative. This is actually quite common, as you may note, attracting positive feedback is much more difficult (once they've received their goods they're off on their way) - its takes twice the effort.”

To some extent that may be true in normal circumstances, but there are three things in Valuebasket’s case that don’t work for that argument. The first is the uniformly dire behaviour by ValueBasket that the negative feedback describes. The second is why there are so many florid positive reviews (Valuebasket can’t have it both ways) on sites that have not recognised them for what they are almost certainly are (shill reviews), and taken steps to remove them. The third is that the feedback is generally at the extremes – either extremely good or extremely bad with very little in between.

So what to do? Fortunately I paid through PayPal. PayPal will hear my tale of woe in much the terms I have described here. So will my bank. And to nail my case, I will be sending the reviews others have made here and on similar sites. Secondly, I will be making complaints to commerce regulators in Hong Kong and countries where VB pretends to have a presence. If I can get VB listed on official scam lists, that will be a start. Thirdly, I will entertain VB's suppliers and distributors with the same dismal story. Not that VB seems to be supplied with much that it actually distributes. Nonetheless, companies like Nikon, Canon, Pansasonic, JVC, Olympus, Pentax, Yamaha, Motorola and the rest that Valuebasket claims as its “credible partners” will take a dim view of having their reputations tarnished by dodgy operations like VB's.

They also appear to operate a counterfeit scam, according to this unfortunate purchaser: (http://www.ephotozin...sket-com-103970).
ejirvine
13 Jul 2013 - 11:44 AM
DON'T use them Adrian,

I unfortunately have been caught out - have learnt a hard lesson!

I bought an expensive Nikon camera from value basket last year (£2,418.00). The camera stopped working 2 weeks ago so I sent it to Nikon. Nikon have confirmed that the internal serial number on the camera does not match the external and have suggested that the camera is a counterfeited product. I have contacted Value Basket through their call centre and sent various emails through their online 'tickets'. I have got two generic responses about sending the camera back, but no acknowledgement as to the counterfeit or refund issue.”

That’s one person’s experience of ValueBasket.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users