• You cannot reply to this topic

Labour Department Unhappiest Places To Work

#1 Guest_IDB_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 December 2004 - 07:36 AM

Labour Department one of the unhappiest places to work
01 December 2004
By OSKAR ALLEY

Staff at the government department responsible for promoting happy workplaces are among the unhappiest in the public service, working for an organisation beset with resignations and low morale.

The Labour Department's role is to help Kiwis "achieve high-quality working lives" and "support for workplaces" but it appears to have failed to do so in its own offices.

A staff satisfaction survey reveals just 39 per cent gave their workplace a positive overall rating and barely half of the 844 staff who were asked to take part bothered to complete it.

That score is significantly lower than the 49 per cent "benchmark" set by surveys of other public service organisations.

Department staff told the survey that their employer was particularly bad at its "overall quality of service" and "organisational commitment" responsibilities.

The employees also said that while achieving good work conditions and maintaining a work-life balance were two of the department's most important functions, both received the lowest emphasis at their workplace.

Figures from the department show that 283 staff quit in the year to June, including a staff turnover rate of 37 per cent in one office. Nineteen staff took personal grievances against the department, which administers labour laws.

Chief executive James Buwalda conceded yesterday that morale had been affected by negative publicity during the "lie in unison" immigration saga and condemnation of the community employment group scheme, which gave grants to projects such as the now-infamous $26,000 "hip-hop tour".

The department has undergone a management restructure, with the appointment of seven deputy secretaries. The revamp could cost up to $550,000 in redundancies.

Dr Buwalda agreed the department was expected to lead by example. "I aspire to have a good workplace culture here, driving the workplace-based performance we are trying to lead in the wider community."

National MP Murray McCully said the department had emerged as "the employer from hell".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dominionpost/...43a6030,00.html

#2 User is offline   MG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:29 PM

I think it was Mr McCully who was known a "the employer from hell" during his time as a Minister in charge of ACC, among other things.

#3 User is offline   sp8smate 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:52 PM

My personal opinion is that at least half of our MP's become MP's because no one will give them a job in the private sector or they have such a bad name around the "Old Boys" club that they are not an honest person and treat their employees like c*ap.
And it is also my opinion that MOST MP's stay quiet because they dont want to upset the "Big Cheese" you know "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED" because if they are kicked out they will miss out on such a sweet job of sleeping in the chambers and just nodding their head when the Boss says anything, not to mention the flash office and free car and travel for themselves and family. Oh dear the list goes on and on, the perks of being an MP. I wonder how an MP would get on living on the Invalids Benefit and have to drive themselves around and not be able to get into the flash restaurant in the Bees Nest.
Where I live I haven't even heard the local MP's name mentioned in the news or local paper in the 2 years I have lived here and Lord help you if you want an appointment to see him. You get the third degree from his secretary before you even get close.
Ahhh life is so interesting living on a Benefit, learning how to buy $100 worth of groceries with the $20 you have left over after paying the power and phone etc....

#4 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

View PostIDB, on Dec 1 2004, 08:36 AM, said:

Labour Department one of the unhappiest places to work
01 December 2004
By OSKAR ALLEY

Staff at the government department responsible for promoting happy workplaces are among the unhappiest in the public service, working for an organisation beset with resignations and low morale.

The Labour Department's role is to help Kiwis "achieve high-quality working lives" and "support for workplaces" but it appears to have failed to do so in its own offices.

A staff satisfaction survey reveals just 39 per cent gave their workplace a positive overall rating and barely half of the 844 staff who were asked to take part bothered to complete it.

That score is significantly lower than the 49 per cent "benchmark" set by surveys of other public service organisations.

Department staff told the survey that their employer was particularly bad at its "overall quality of service" and "organisational commitment" responsibilities.

The employees also said that while achieving good work conditions and maintaining a work-life balance were two of the department's most important functions, both received the lowest emphasis at their workplace.

Figures from the department show that 283 staff quit in the year to June, including a staff turnover rate of 37 per cent in one office. Nineteen staff took personal grievances against the department, which administers labour laws.

Chief executive James Buwalda conceded yesterday that morale had been affected by negative publicity during the "lie in unison" immigration saga and condemnation of the community employment group scheme, which gave grants to projects such as the now-infamous $26,000 "hip-hop tour".

The department has undergone a management restructure, with the appointment of seven deputy secretaries. The revamp could cost up to $550,000 in redundancies.

Dr Buwalda agreed the department was expected to lead by example. "I aspire to have a good workplace culture here, driving the workplace-based performance we are trying to lead in the wider community."

National MP Murray McCully said the department had emerged as "the employer from hell".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dominionpost/...43a6030,00.html

Six years on, has it changed it's culture, we hope so.

http://www.dol.govt.nz

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users