ACCforum: ACC Secret Squirrels blocking info under OIA - ACCforum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACC Secret Squirrels blocking info under OIA This is about attempts to get info under Official Info Act

#1 User is offline   Determined 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

ACC has a $130 million publicly funded database system and trained IT staff that could easily access data. But I have been repeatedly stone-walled when trying to get data.

No matter what questions I have asked under the Official Information Act (OIA), ACC waits until the statutory time frame when they are supposed to reply is just about up and asks for an extension. Then, more likely than not they refuse to provide it.

Most of the questions I have asked have involved normal statistics (statistics that it is highly probable ACC normally keeps track of anyway) and copies of manuals and reports. But I have been told that the questions are too hard and it will cost me $76/hour plus costs for copying. No indication of what data would or would not be available was given. No valid reason why most of this likely easy to obtain info was not promptly provided was given. I think that this high rate of charge to provide routine data is a method ACC is using to avoid providing data under the OIA.

To top it off, I had asked for data under the OIA related to ACC referral numbers to one of the doctors Kevin Hague referred to in a Hansard report in Sept 2012. I did receive a reply, but the numbers I was given were significantly different from that given to another person. So, it would appear that one or both of us was lied to. So, ACC wants people to pay $76/hour plus other costs - for the privilege of being lied to?!

Under the Privacy Act (after I had to get assistance from the office of the Privacy Commissioner), I received copies of highly redacted (ie blacked out) data related to queries I'd made to ACC under the OIA. Some staff names were blacked out. Others weren't. You could not follow the "conversation" from the excerpts I was provided - so clearly some data was totally withheld - though I have been told I have it all (this I do not believe).

What I did receive (likely mistakenly released) amongst this were several copies of very McCarthyism-style "Risk Assessment" documents with my name in large print associated with my request for information - and an assessed risk of "Low", "Medium" and "High" - regarding the likely impact on the public - and the likelihood for it to consequently cause ACC or the government embarrassment if the information was released. This decision to withhold, based upon an individual person and perceived "risk" of embarrassment of the organization or government had nothing to do with legitimate reasons to withhold information as set out in the Official Information Act.

You can see more on this here:
http://truthliesdece...mocracy-in.html

Should we use this topic to pool data we have gotten?

#2 User is offline   netcoachnz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostDetermined, on 25 March 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

<snip>
Should we use this topic to pool data we have gotten?

There is a website http://fyi.org.nz/ that is a databank of Official Information Act (OIA) request and the answers.

#3 User is offline   Determined 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

View Postnetcoachnz, on 25 March 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

There is a website http://fyi.org.nz/ that is a databank of Official Information Act (OIA) request and the answers.

Thanks so much. Its a great link.

#4 User is offline   Compassion 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Wow very interesting. That in itself is enough for some sort of enquiry? He who hides has something to hide.

Think they are about to come crashing down, this needs to happen in order for it to be properly rebuilt and not just on tokinism gestures like makeing the front line staff smile more. :mellow:

#5 User is offline   Determined 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

View Postnetcoachnz, on 25 March 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Thank you. I checked out the site you recommended. The person or agency running it is unknown. There are not very many queries listed (probably for that reason). Those that are mainly were unsuccessful in obtaining data. It does show some of ACC's standard excuses not to disclose (creating a general feel to me as if ACC is using it as part of its propaganda machine). Do not be tricked into thinking that the excuses given by ACC on this site are valid. They are not consistent with the OIA. Anyone who has been refused info by ACC should complain to the Ombudsman.
http://www.ombudsman...a-complaint-now

While I don't know who runs this site (ACCforum.org) - the contributors and hosts appear to share the same goal - to address major unfairness, injustice and bad faith issues with ACC.

So if the organizers of this site can arrange for an area on the site where responses to requests for info under the OIA can be loaded - then I think more useful info can be pooled.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users