The Injury Prevention, Rehabilitation and Compensation Amendment Bill No 3[/B]

Open to all

This could be a nice time to let ACC and the Govenment know how we feel

#2 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:25 PM

Video Conference Dunedin 27th October @11am.
83 Castle Street Dunedin.

Even though submissions are public I have been told that names and designations need to be known by the end of this week as the room is very small.

For Acclaim Otago's submission we can have about 5 or 6 people in the room.

#3 User is offline   ANG :) 

• Pip

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:39 PM

I HAVE JUST HAD A PHONE CALL FROM COUPLE OF PEOPLE THAT PUT IN A SUBMISSION BUT HAVE NOT BEEN INFORMED BY THE

The Health Select Committee RE: The Videoconference

Christchurch starts at 9am mmmm Dunedin at 11am mmmm

SO I TAKE IT THAT WE WILL ONLY GIVE OR TAKE BE GIVEN 10 MINS EACH

IF THIS IS NOT WINDOW DRESSING WHAT IS

#4 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:46 PM

Yes. My understanding is that you will be expected to outline your main points and then the committee will ask questions. I was told 10 minutes or close to.... There were 163 submissions but of course not all asked to be heard orally.
Not sure how many will be heard here in Dunedin but we are scheduled for the first 3 time slots.

#5 User is offline   Ivan 

• Pip

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:14 PM

Yes, it is not much time to address what are complex issues. Such is ''democracy'', but at least we have got a better deal than the submitters on the Foreshore and Seadbed Bill, most of whom have been denied the chance to be heard at all.

You can make a supplementary written submission to address in more detail the points you want to focus on. Then in your oral submission just make concise references to the issue headers in the main and supplementary submission and the need for the Select Committee to address them.

#6 User is offline   watcha 

• PipPip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:33 PM

Someone is keeping tabs on this forum!!!

Acclaim received a phone call this morning from Health Select Committee secretary noting that Acclaim had invited the public and advising that the venue for the Christchurch videoconference can only seat 4-5 people at any one time.
So much for public hearing, says I, there are many members of the public who have expressed a wish to be present.

They can go to Wellington to attend public hearings, says she, very hoity toity, to which I registered my objection to the venue and its facilities in the strongest possible terms, given that many people have neither the funds nor the physical ability to travel to Wellington.

Tough, says she, take it or leave it (my inference)
I would not be in the least surprised to learn that the venues in other centres are similarly poorly equipped for public hearings.

Will the press be excluded?

#7 User is offline   ANG :) 

• Pip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:03 PM

AND GET THIS ONE

CHILDREN OF THIS COUNTRY THE ONES THAT HAVE PUT IN SUBMISSIONS
ARE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO GIVE A ORAL SUBMISSION
SO MUCH FOR CHILDREN'S RIGHTS

COME TO THINK OF IT SO MUCH FOR ANY ONES RIGHTS

I FEEL THIS WOULD BE THE BEST TIME TO HAVE PROTESTING GOING ON OUTSIDE AT THE SAME TIME.

WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE AN ACC SYSTEM ?

#8 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:48 PM

I have received my time slot at 11.30 but will think that we all should look a a better venues as these should be public and as it is vido it should be put in all centres at the same time.

I know that this is possible as I have been somewere Telecome sponsered a vido conference in other centres at the same time. if it could be done them it can be done now.

if they were attending in person then the public would be able to attend.

#9 User is offline   ANG :) 

• Pip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:01 PM

Ch-Ch hook up from 9.15am untill 11.00am then its going to Dunedin

Then the people in Ch-Ch which been given times 11.10, 11.20 11.30 and 11.40

how can there give there oral submission if the hook ups in Dunedin

Can any one do there job

#10 User is offline   Juscallin1 

• Pip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:16 PM

Well, if they are keeping tabs on this forum, perhaps they can read our submissions on here?? Great news, give em something to think about huh?
What a cheek referring to our forum, thought it was for members only??
Hope Dyson and the Teflon tarts read it too.

WE WILL EDUCATE THEM HUH???

#11 User is offline   ANG :) 

• Pip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:26 PM

Educate them

Oh please it would be easier If we did the job ourselves

#12 User is offline   watcha 

• PipPip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:35 PM

Speaking for Christchurch, I would suggest that everyone who wants to go should go at 0900 and overwhelm the place.

After all, the select committee has called it a public hearing and the rules are that a public hearing is just that, open to the public, open for as many members of the public with an interest in or a wish to attend. So, let's exercise our right to attend.

I will go to the designated venue tomorrow for a recce, see if there is a room that could and should hold more people for a public hearing and endeavour to establish the hirer's identity etc, etc.

#13 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:49 PM

Here in Dunedin it is being held at UBIX One stop... which is 83 Castle Street and my understanding is that it is a UBIX sales centre.

They of course could have organise a videoconference from the university or even the college of education (where I work AND they have run Videoconferences for a whole auditorium when we were going through merger talks) The choice seems to have been deliberate dare I say it!

#14 User is offline   jocko 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:10 PM

Then I move that ACCLAIM, as the voice of the claimant takes them to task and demand apropriate venues. Flex a bit of muscle folks. Like why are they so small? ACC can spend a fortune on huge venues for its "conferences" and parties yet when it comes to transparency we get a room big enough for 4or 5 to cater for the entire city of CHCH????????? Of course they will be able to afford to pay Pickfords via SIRVA to take up surveillance at each venue. This is really disturbing and another example of the secretive coverup that is stopping an enquiry. If ACC and the minister are so confident ACC is acting within the law why not invite an enquiry in the public arena?

#15 User is offline   Unicorn 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:58 AM

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT MY RIGHTS ARE WHEN I GIVE MY ORAL SUBMISSION NEXT WEEK I HAVE BEEN GIVEN 5 MINS I SEE SOME OF YOU HAVE 10MIN OR MORE

WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS

#16 User is offline   watcha 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:11 PM

Did my recce of Christchurch videoconference venue today - UBIX Onestop, 136 Moorhouse Ave, limited parking and no handicap slots.

Very friendly senior official of Ubix took me in to view the room and was very surprised when I advised him that quite a few people from our support group, never mind the press and public, wanted to attend the "public hearing".

Ubix appears to be a venue regualrly used for select committee hearings, official said usually only one or two people turn up to give submissions - 5 is a large crowd, so he said he would rearrange the room by opening up an ajoining room to cater for around 20-25 people.

If anyone has access to ACC shareholding inventory, please check out any association ACC has with Ubix/Onestop, interlocking directorships etc. Not making any allegations, but........

#17 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:29 PM

So I might take a wee stop down a UBIX Dunedin myself.... have a look at the room size.

#18 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:34 AM

Message 6047 in Discussion

Pursuant to section 3 (a) of the NZ Bill of Rights Act 1990 the legislature is bound by the provisions in that Act. (section 27 natural justice) The Health Committee did not have in place any process or procedure to receive and hear evidence. This was required because the hearings were conducted by telephone and video-conferencing. "Whether or not particular evidence is relevant to a particular issues is a question of law." (Ogilvy v mather (NZ) Ltd v Turner (1996) 1 NZLR 642. "A decision makers treatment of facts canamount to an error of law...." (P & O Services (NZ) Ltd v ARCIC unreported HC Wellington AP 43/98 Gendall J.) Moreover, I am not satisfied that the Committee had jurisdiction to consider the Amendment Bill because the principal Act was unconstitutionally enacted - manner and form. Remember, this was a Bill seeking to amend a principal Act - it was not a Bill seeking to enact a principal Act. Watcha is right - the Committee (unusually) did not require any record of the hearings or transcripts. This was a significant blunder particularly when some of the Amendment clauses adversely impacted on claimant's rights, interest and responsibilities Consign your oral submissions to writing, if that is not already done, and send them to the Committee Chair (Steve Chadwick) and to the Speaker to be entered into the public record.

#19 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:35 AM

Message 6045 in Discussion

Blind-eye knowledge

Lord Nelson was accused of this affliction at Trafalgar, seems it survives to this day - it's alive and well in the health select committee and miasma-like, permeates the dank corridors of Parliament.

We have been officially advised that the health select committee "public hearing" today was not recorded, furthermore, there was no request for it be recorded. It therefore follows that there will be no transcriptions or official record of anything anyone said today. To those who gave oral submissions today, I suggest write in objecting to the farce, enclose 25 copies of your written "oral" evidence, respectfully demand that your evidence is entered into the record and copies distributed to the members of the committee.

No-one can say "Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do". They know exactly what they are doing and whatever it may be, you can be assured that it will not be in ACC claimants' interests. Makes one wonder just who is running this country.

It ain't over yet, what occurred, yesterday, today and tomorrow was, is, and will be unconstitutional. Let's get'm.

#20 User is offline   fairgo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:35 AM

As Billy said, the select committee doesnt make any decisions. select committes reports are not binding on the government. The minister doesnt have the final say either - before anything is enacted into law there are two more readings and the third reading is the vote making it law. However if the bill is returned to the House unaltered, there can still be changes made at a late stage.This is usually done by loobbying MPs to encourage them to do a SOP (supplementary order paper) recommending relevant alterations to the bill. This is done quite frequently, especially on controversial issues.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users