• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACC Counsellor will no longer operate within ACC system

#1 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Maybe it's time http://www.acc.co.nz opened it's eyes and ears and started listening to the parties involved and became proactive in taking constructive criticism on board.

http://www.nzdoctor....-is-enough.aspx

Latest Issues of New Zealand Doctor Newspaper
14 March 2012

ACC counsellor: enough is enough
Lucy [email protected]

News John McEwan 2012John McEwan

An Auckland counsellor says he will no longer operate within the ACC system, calling it unsafe for patients.

"As one of the original counsellors dealing with sexual abuse and post trauma after accidents, I have struggled to keep the people I see covered by ACC until they are 100 per cent well and able to function again in society," counsellor John McEwan says.

"Within the revised ACC system, that has now become ethically impossible," Dr Mc­Ewan writes in a fax sent to more than 100 Auckland GPs last month.

ACC introduced the sensitive claims pathway in 2009 to tighten control over sexual abuse claims. Within a year an independent panel found the pathway reduced timeliness and appropriate access to care (New Zealand Doctor, 22 September 2010).

The panel's recommendations are still being carried out, with a review on progress due to begin this month.

But Dr McEwan has had enough. "I won't be writing anything for ACC ever again...To me, ACC has become just unsafe for anyone who becomes traumatised," he told New Zealand Doctor.

"The system is simply saving money rather than providing the care we all thought [ACC] would when it was set up."

Dr McEwan is planning to charge ACC patients, who are unable to pay the full fee ($184 per hour), just $115 per hour. He says he will carry the financial loss personally.

ACC staff declined to be interviewed but provided a written statement from ACC's general manager claims management Denise Cosgrove.

She says ACC's aim is to provide client-centred care which promotes the recovery of clients.

"Rather than being 'in the business of saving money', as Dr McEwan states, ACC's mandate is to provide rehabilitation with the goal of achieving an appropriate quality of life through the provision of entitlements that restores to the maximum practicable extent a client's health, independence and participation," Ms Cosgrove says.

She says ACC has not heard of counsellors reducing fees for ACC clients.

Dr McEwan has no plans to contact ACC directly about his views, nor to let them know he no longer wishes to be ACC registered. "I will just let [the registration] lapse."

Ms Cosgrove says ACC does not keep a record of the reasons why counsellors cease providing services to ACC clients.

Several counsellors objected to the new way of dealing with sensitive claims and have ceased providing ACC-funded services, she says.

#2 User is offline   Huggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Not only is that disgusting that ACC are not providing the rehabilitation needed, not just to sexual abuse victims, but it is totally of no surprise to me.

#3 User is offline   unicorn57 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

View Posthukildaspida, on 20 March 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

Maybe it's time http://www.acc.co.nz opened it's eyes and ears and started listening to the parties involved and became proactive in taking constructive criticism on board.

http://www.nzdoctor....-is-enough.aspx

Latest Issues of New Zealand Doctor Newspaper
14 March 2012

ACC counsellor: enough is enough
Lucy [email protected]

News John McEwan 2012John McEwan

An Auckland counsellor says he will no longer operate within the ACC system, calling it unsafe for patients.

"As one of the original counsellors dealing with sexual abuse and post trauma after accidents, I have struggled to keep the people I see covered by ACC until they are 100 per cent well and able to function again in society," counsellor John McEwan says.

"Within the revised ACC system, that has now become ethically impossible," Dr Mc­Ewan writes in a fax sent to more than 100 Auckland GPs last month.

ACC introduced the sensitive claims pathway in 2009 to tighten control over sexual abuse claims. Within a year an independent panel found the pathway reduced timeliness and appropriate access to care (New Zealand Doctor, 22 September 2010).

The panel's recommendations are still being carried out, with a review on progress due to begin this month.

But Dr McEwan has had enough. "I won't be writing anything for ACC ever again...To me, ACC has become just unsafe for anyone who becomes traumatised," he told New Zealand Doctor.

"The system is simply saving money rather than providing the care we all thought [ACC] would when it was set up."

Dr McEwan is planning to charge ACC patients, who are unable to pay the full fee ($184 per hour), just $115 per hour. He says he will carry the financial loss personally.

ACC staff declined to be interviewed but provided a written statement from ACC's general manager claims management Denise Cosgrove.

She says ACC's aim is to provide client-centred care which promotes the recovery of clients.

"Rather than being 'in the business of saving money', as Dr McEwan states, ACC's mandate is to provide rehabilitation with the goal of achieving an appropriate quality of life through the provision of entitlements that restores to the maximum practicable extent a client's health, independence and participation," Ms Cosgrove says.

She says ACC has not heard of counsellors reducing fees for ACC clients.

Dr McEwan has no plans to contact ACC directly about his views, nor to let them know he no longer wishes to be ACC registered. "I will just let [the registration] lapse."

Ms Cosgrove says ACC does not keep a record of the reasons why counsellors cease providing services to ACC clients.

Several counsellors objected to the new way of dealing with sensitive claims and have ceased providing ACC-funded services, she says.

Yes. My counsellor said to me one day - at a counselling session - "Im not going to see you under the ACC umbrella any more, because I can see that dealing with them is causing you harm, and stopping you from becoming well. Also, she told me she had had a visit from 2 ACC staff members (from CHCH) and they were letting her know that is she continues to support her patients over ACC then she would be removed from their register of Counsellors!" She said I could still come to see her just like I was doing, but I only had to pay her a donation of whatever amount I could afford - $10, $30 wahtever. So this is our current arrangement. Now that Ive been temporarily kicked off, WINZ are paying for it!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users