ACCforum: Old member on new site ACC cutting Botox treatment for low back pain - ACCforum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old member on new site ACC cutting Botox treatment for low back pain

#1 User is offline   Sheba 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

I was on this site when it first started as Buddy. I had several years of chronic pain after three failed surgeries over a 20 year period then in 2004 Dr Frank Thomas trialed me on Botox injections, I was the first to try this in NZ and was told if it failed no one else would have the chance of trialing it. After two 3 monthly treatments it worked I went from chronic pain, arm crutches, needing showering and dressing etc etc to full time working painting and decorating and NO PAIN!! In 2006 I did two body building contests ( this was my personal challenge) and set up a painting company. I now have three full time staff and generate levies for ACC.
My Botox treatment is three monthly and costs ACC some $6000 a year last week they have decided not to go ahead with my treatment which is now two weeks overdue because they say it is very expensive and i have a change in my job description and that the treatment my not be needed at all.They are sending me to the Hutt pain clinic where that is I do not know ( that does not do Botox treatment) for a ARTP I have been told that I can fund my own Botox treatment in the meantime!! I need some help here a. Can they do this with the reasons given and b Where do i go from here

Thanks

Site looks good and going well great to see

#2 User is offline   Caniwi 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostSheba, on 30 January 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

I was on this site when it first started as Buddy. I had several years of chronic pain after three failed surgeries over a 20 year period then in 2004 Dr Frank Thomas trialed me on Botox injections, I was the first to try this in NZ and was told if it failed no one else would have the chance of trialing it. After two 3 monthly treatments it worked I went from chronic pain, arm crutches, needing showering and dressing etc etc to full time working painting and decorating and NO PAIN!! In 2006 I did two body building contests ( this was my personal challenge) and set up a painting company. I now have three full time staff and generate levies for ACC.
My Botox treatment is three monthly and costs ACC some $6000 a year last week they have decided not to go ahead with my treatment which is now two weeks overdue because they say it is very expensive and i have a change in my job description and that the treatment my not be needed at all.They are sending me to the Hutt pain clinic where that is I do not know ( that does not do Botox treatment) for a ARTP I have been told that I can fund my own Botox treatment in the meantime!! I need some help here a. Can they do this with the reasons given and b Where do i go from here

Thanks

Site looks good and going well great to see

Hi Sheba

Did you have any form of agreement with ACC about future treatments? If you did, ACC have been performing to that agreement.

If a handshake and giving your word is a "contract" under law, then ACC have/are breaching their contract if you had an agreement. You need to go to a lawyer (John Miller Law would be your best bet).

Also, Frank Thomas is working with the Queensland Government now at Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba.

Good luck :)

#3 User is offline   doppelganger 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

Welcome back.

Do your research on Botox treatment and it is expensive and on going.

You may need to look at a changing position in your company from physical worker to an administrator and the ACC making up for the loss of earnings.

There is a number of papers out that show by modifying the acitvities pain can remain managable and there is no further treatment. ACC will have to pay for the loss of earnings.

here is one I found a while ago Effective Endurance and Strength Training for Patients With Chronic Musculoskeletal Disorders Master„s thesis, Exercise Physiology

Ask your treatment provider if this should be looked at instead of Botox.

#4 User is offline   Sheba 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for that advice but when i was trialing the drugs before Botox I could only stand or sit for a few minutes at a time and walked with arm crutches it was awful the pain it was 24/7 but since the Botox I can do anything and didnt even need to take a panadol My life has been so good the last 8 years I am truly grateful for having no pain. My back is starting to go into spasm now and the pains are getting worse and this is only two weeks over my treatment date

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users