• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Member

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Near-death experience sends safety message

By Laura Clark

10:55 AM Tuesday Aug 9, 2011

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10744609

When I was young I viewed the quad bike as a toy that only my parents had the privilege of driving.

I couldn't wait to be old enough to wrap my hands around the handlebars and take control.

But I soon realised what the quad was really capable of.

One day spreading manure with my father the quad rolled on a hill. I slipped off the back while my father had his leg pinned beneath the vehicle.

I was in shock and unable to think. Before I knew it my father had pushed the bike off and flipped it back over with the handlebars bent in an awkward position.

There and then I realised a quad is not a toy, but a machine that needs to be used for the correct purpose, with its own dangers and limitations.

Quad safety is an issue that has featured significantly in the media recently.

A quad is not a toy for enjoyment, but a machine that has a purpose in the agricultural industry. Is quad safety important? Will it aid farm safety practices in the agricultural sector?

Imagine yourself pinned beneath an overturned quad because you didn't have enough experience to handle the bike and you were not wearing the correct safety gear.

You thought the helmet cramped your style and messed up your hair, therefore it was worth the risk of not wearing one.

Would the results of a crash be worth your reckless decision? How would it affect your family and your life?

"You have to treat a quad as if it has the potential to kill you every time you get on." Therefore you have to be prepared.

Farming is a lifestyle which I cherish. The place in my heart which holds the most memories is a 125ha farm at Otaua, South Hokianga.

We grew up there - from making mud pies as children to placing cups on the cows in the 12-aside herring bone milking shed. We had a small caravan in which we constructed stories, swept the muddy floor and made works of art with our bare hands to display with pride on the flaky caravan walls.

Today you can still see the marks of our childhood inside with the beloved memories and experiences. Every child and family wants these sorts of memories of rural life to be special in their hearts.

However, one moment of carelessness can cause devastation and grief for whole families and communities.

On the farm you witness birth and death daily. You never seem to have enough resilience to cope with the devastation of an injury or death. Farming can be a very dangerous occupation.

Quad bikes are one of the most widely used motor vehicles on New Zealand farms and many farmers consider them essential to their farming operations.

Townies see quads as a vehicle to provide thrills and spills, not knowing the harm and injury you could receive from one cavalier decision.

Every year in New Zealand 850 people are injured riding quad bikes on farms. On average five are killed each year. In Northland last year four accidental quad deaths occurred.

Last August a 62-year-old woman from Kaikohe was involved in an accident that cost her life. She was towing a trailer and feeding stock on steep terrain. The trailer overturned and landed on top of her.

She was trapped beneath the quad and was eventually found by a family member.

Quite often in a workplace, it's workmates that come across an accident victim. But in a farming situation, it's often a family member - a wife, a husband, a son or a daughter - and this can devastate them.

New rules and regulations have been introduced to address quad bike safety. The Government believes these laws will reduce the number quad accident casualties.

They believe the rules are needed to provide a safer riding environment throughout New Zealand.

The new regulations require wearing of an approved helmet and proper riding gear, ban children under the age of 16 from riding, prohibit the carrying of passengers and outlaw tasks that interfere with safe riding.

Who will take on the work and labour if an accident disrupts farm operations? Will it be the husband, wife or children? Everyone will feel the urge to take over the farm with their beloved family member lying recovering helpless and frail in a hospital ward.

Fifteen months ago Mark Hobbs was thrown over the handlebars of his quad bike onto the packed dirt of a farm paddock. He can finally string a 13-word sentence together.

This is a big improvement on six months ago when he could only manage a five-word sentence. But he remains unable to read and write. It might not be days or even months but years before a quad bike accident victim fully recovers, if they do at all.

So how can we change these appalling statistics? You have to think, think, think - every time you step on the quad. Lack of concentration can lead to an accident. According to a television news report a spider contributed to a quad bike accident that killed a Westport teenager.

A 3cm trapdoor spider was found at the crash scene and investigators believe it contributed to the teenager's loss of control of the farm vehicle.

Some people say there shouldn't be a 16-year-old age restriction on riding a quad. Age restrictions could lead to work not being completed. Some farmers rely on young members of the family to take some of the farm load. If they are under the age of 16 they will be unable to do any work that requires the use of a quad bike. So the only answer is education with a safety training course.

When you visit a farm, remember, the quad is not a toy to play with, but a serious machine that needs to be respected and used correctly.

If you like to feel the wind in your hair always think safety first. When a quad flips who do you think is going to come of better - man or machine?

Laura Clark, Year 12, Northland College

#2 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

http://www.dol.govt....cident-rate.asp

Quad bike safety reminder after high summer accident rate

NEWS Release

18 January 2012

With a high number of people being injured on quad bikes during the summer holiday period, ACC and the Department of Labour are reminding riders of the dangers of not adhering to safety rules.

850 people are injured on quad bikes on farms each year. Five die. The total cost to ACC for quad bike related claims in the 2010/2011 financial year, including ongoing claims lodged in previous years, was approximately $8.6 million.

Most recently Christmas was ruined for a number of families where people were injured in quad bike accidents on farms and beaches across the country, which included the death of a child.

The Department of Labour’s quad bike safety campaign aims to reduce the number of people being hurt and killed while riding quad bikes on farms.

“Everyone has a responsibility to improve safety on quad bikes – especially during the summer months when farmers tend to work longer hours,” says the Department’s General Manager Central region Ona de Rooy.

“Long hours can lead to fatigue and an increase in accidents,” Ms de Rooy says.

The Department’s campaign focuses on four key safety steps: always wear a helmet, riders must be trained or experienced enough to do the job, never let kids ride adult quad bikes and choose the right vehicle for the job.

These safety steps were the focus of the Department’s spring enforcement phase, where 518 farms were visited across New Zealand and 197 enforcement notices were issued where safety issues were identified with quad bikes.

“We will be continuing this campaign and the focus on the four safety steps in 2012 – with another round of farm visits in autumn. Where our inspectors find safety issues or where the four key safety steps are not being taken, they will take action,” Ms de Rooy says.

ENDS
Notes to Editor

More information on the Department of Labour’s quad bike safety campaign is available.
For a free ACC booklet on Quad Bike Safety: Tips on how to stay safe ring 0800Thinksafe.

Department of Labour media contact: 0274 422 141 or email [email protected]

ACC media contact: Stephanie Melville, Lead Media Advisor
027 493 6858 or email [email protected]

Is Stephanie Melville the one & only also Stephanie Julian who lied at a Private Investigators Licence hearing?

Details of which can be found on this website.

#3 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10805469

Coroner's action on quad-bike death

By Hana Garrett-Walker
5:30 AM Sunday May 13, 2012

When Wairarapa 21-year-old Jody Santos died after the quad bike he was riding rolled, he joined a long line. About five people die and 850 others are injured riding quad bikes on farms each year.

At the inquest into Jody's death, coroner Ian Smith, exasperated by a steady flow of similar cases, made several recommendations, including making rollbars and seatbelts mandatory on quad bikes. He was ignored, although the Department of Labour launched a large education campaign.

Yet last year four people died in quad-bike accidents.

Jody's legal guardian, Ryan Soriano, is pleading for officials to act on Smith's recommendations.

However, New Zealand does not require government departments and local council to follow recommendations, or even respond to them.

In the Australian state of Victoria, they track what actions are taken to save lives.

"I think it's probably the way to go if we're to serve a useful purpose," said Chief Coroner Neil MacLean, "but it does raise some huge resourcing issues."

About 250 deaths come before New Zealand's 15 coroners each year, but an inquest can be launched only after every other investigation, such as a police inquiry, is finished. It can sometimes take years to reach the inquest stage.

Courts Minister Chester Borrows said a number of recommendations had received public attention and resulted in changes to policies or infrastructure.

But he admitted the interaction between coroners and other agencies could be improved.

A Herald on Sunday investigation into five years of road deaths found 34 coronial recommendations were fully implemented, 13 were partly implemented and 14 disregarded. Eight more recommendations got lost in the system.

Coronial Services of New Zealand has engaged two Otago University academics in a two-year project to evaluate the Coroners Act and the effectiveness of recommendations.

Parents' relief over inquest

Robert and Linda Barlow were not convinced their son, Adam, was stillborn in 2009 so took their medical notes to the coroner.

An inquest was held into Adam's death and this week Coroner Gordon Matenga said the midwife's inexperience was partly to blame.

Robert Barlow said it was hard to listen to details of how his son died, but the 10-day inquiry was "thorough and rigorous".

"To have the Coroner listen to our concerns, it's hard to put it into words how we felt, but you can imagine it was a huge relief."

- APNZ
By Hana Garrett-Walker | Email Hana

#4 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Quad bike rider in stable condition

http://www.stuff.co....table-condition

ROSA STUDHOLME
Last updated 12:27 22/08/2012

A man who rolled a quad bike near Waimate yesterday is in a stable condition in Christchurch Hospital.

A hospital spokesperson confirmed Waimate man Brent Packman, aged in his 50s, was still in the intensive care unit but was stable.

St John attended the scene of the crash on Point Bush Road, near Te Kiteroa Lodge, at 12.20pm. Mr Packman was unconscious and had suffered head injuries, a Timaru St John spokesperson said.

He was taken to Timaru Hospital before being transferred to Christchurch Hospital in a critical condition at around 5pm. Emergency services were alerted by members of the public.

It was not known why the quad bike rolled.

St John were assisted at the scene by a Waimate PRIME responder - a local medical practitioner.

#5 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

Quad bike youngster 'couldn't be saved'
NZ Newswire Updated October 10, 2012, 2:25 pm

http://nz.news.yahoo...uldnt-be-saved/

Emergency services could not save the life of a 10-year-old Wairarapa boy, whose father found him trapped under a quad bike, police say.

The accident happened on Wednesday morning at a property on Kahutara Road, east of Lake Wairarapa.

Police say the boy had gone out on the quad bike and was discovered a short time later.

"CPR was performed at the scene, but sadly the boy was deceased," said Senior Sergeant Rob Rackliff.

Crash experts are going over the scene and the boy's death will be referred to the coroner.

His name has not been released while family members are being advised.

Government figures show the death is the third quad bike death this year.

The bikes are involved in about 28 per cent of all farm working deaths.
ACC says there are about 35 quad bike accidents on farms each day. It is recommended children not ride full-sized quad bikes until they are at least 16.

#6 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10856241

Teen quad bike crash victim named
By Brendan Manning , Hamish McNeilly of the Otago Daily Times
4:50 PM Thursday Dec 27, 2012

The horrific Boxing Day death of a 16-year-old boy from South Otago is the year's seventh quad bike fatality.

Rowan Cai Parker was killed about 6.30pm when he lost control of the quad bike he was riding in the Chaslands area and drove over a cliff - falling 150 meters on to rocks.

Rowan had recently been appointed head boy of the Catlins Area School and was today described as a "marvellous young man'' and fantastic role model.

He had been visiting a farm property with two friends and had been riding motorcycles on farm land between Marks Bay and Wallace Bay.

Balclutha police said initial inquiries established the group were riding along a track beside the coast line.

Police, Papatawai fire brigade and the Otago Rescue Helicopter attended and paramedics confirmed Rowan had died at the scene as result of his injuries.

His body was winched from the rock and airlifted to Dunedin Hospital.

Inquires are continuing into the crash and the quad bike will be recovered from the scene by helicopter later today.

The case has been referred to the coroner.

Catlins Area School principal Alex MacCreadie said the community was "shellshocked'' by the death.

"No-one expected this, it is one of those terrible accidents.''

Mr Parker was named the head boy of the school, which has 180 pupils, at a prize giving last month.

"He was thrilled, he was very much looking forward to it.''

"I had a marvellous young man who was just starting to stride out and do some wonderful things . . . and now I don't.''

Mr MacCreadie said he had visited the close-knit family, who were "absolutely devastated''.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment's Labour Department has been pushing to reduce quad bike deaths and injuries through a safety awareness campaign.

Its key safety guidelines are that riders wear a helmet and are experienced or properly trained. The ministry says that children under 16 should not be permitted to ride adult quad bikes (90cc-750cc), users not allowed to carry passengers unless the bike is specifically designed to do so, and that the bikes be used for purpose.

Despite being inherently unstable because of their narrow wheelbase and high centre of gravity, the industry refers to them as ATVs All Terrain Vehicles.

The ministry discourages the term ATV, saying it gives the impression the bikes can go anywhere and do anything, resulting in accidents because a quad bike could be used in a situation where a tractor or a ute was more appropriate.

Following the death of a 10-year-old boy in a quad bike accident on a South Wairarapa farm earlier this year, Chief Coroner Judge Neil MacLean said simple safety messages around the use of quad bikes could "go a long way to preventing these utterly unnecessary deaths''.

Shane White, the son of a sharemilking family, was found under a bike about 1km from the farm gate by his father at the property in Featherston on October 10.

Judge Maclean said the number of incidents did not appear to be reducing. He also warned that quad bikes were okay when used for the purpose they were designed for, but when pushed beyond that, or used by children, they became potentially dangerous.

"I suspect that the key message is training and awareness that they're not toys.

"They're not something that kids should be around.''

Judge MacLean also said there was much debate around protective measures such as rollbars on bikes.

"Sometimes the very protective device itself can be the cause of injury that might not have otherwise happened.''

Quad bikes:

* 850 people injured on farms each year riding quad bikes.

* 28 per cent of all work-related farm deaths involve quads.

* $7 million paid by ACC each year for quad bike-related injuries.

* 2533 claims made to ACC in 2009 related to quads.

- APNZ

By Brendan Manning Email Brendan, Hamish McNeilly of the Otago Daily Times

#7 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

There is a survey in relation to Quad bikes in this link.

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10857116

Girl critical after quad bike rolls with drunk adults

By Kieran Campbell KieranCampbell , Rebecca Quilliam
8:11 PM Thursday Jan 3, 2013

Would you feel safe on a quad bike?

7450–7500 votes

Yes, I use them regularly and I feel safe

Yes, I think it would be okay if I was sensible

No, I would not feel safe

No, I wouldn't ride one

I don't know
View results

Police are investigating whether charges should be laid against any of the four intoxicated adults who took a 6-year-old girl on a quad bike that crashed and left the youngster fighting for her life in hospital.

The girl was flown by air ambulance to Auckland's Starship Children's Hospital this afternoon where she remained in a critical condition, a hospital spokesman said.

The four adults, including the girl's father and stepmother, were being treated for serious injuries in Hawkes Bay Hospital.

Senior Sergeant Luke Shadbolt said police were yet to determine who was driving the quad bike when it rolled down a bank and crashed into a fence on Okaihau Rd near Waimarama Beach, south of Hastings, about 11.20pm yesterday.

He said the crash was the result of "the stupidity of the adults", who were all aged between 20 and 28.

"When they were admitted to hospital last night we took blood samples of all four adults for analysis, and there may well be charges pending as a result," Mr Shadbolt said.

"Last night it was unclear who was actually driving."

He said quad bikes were subject to the same laws as any other vehicle travelling on a public road, and those driving them needed to be cautious.

"Quad bikes are an important part of the rural life in New Zealand, a vital tool on farms and used around beaches. But we know there are dangers for them," Mr Shadbolt said.

"This one is ... right outside the parameters of what you'd call normal or reasonable use.

"It was just stupidity."

The girl's father was flown to Hawkes Bay Hospital with a badly broken leg.

The other three adults were taken to hospital by ambulance with dislocated hips, broken legs, broken arms and suspected head injuries.

Waimarama Volunteer Fire Officers and police based at the beach for the holiday period initially helped at the scene, along with St John ambulance staff.

Federated Farmers' spokeswoman Jeanette Maxwell said farmers were taking quad bike safety seriously, but the message was not getting through to recreational users.

"There is an unhelpful assumption all quad bike accidents are farm related ... and this recreational toll is a concern," she said.

If an untrained person wanted to use a quad bike they had to seek training, she said.

"The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment needs to look at how it is communicating safety messages to casual quad bike users. Frankly, no one should be using a quad bike without the appropriate training and not all quad bikes are designed to carry two people."

- APNZ
By Kieran Campbell KieranCampbell Email Kieran, Rebecca Quilliam Email Rebecca

#8 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Inquests into cluster of quad bike deaths begin

4:01 PM Tuesday Mar 26, 2013

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10873762

Photo / Thinkstock

Inquests into a string of quad bike fatalities have begun in Whangarei today.

Northland coroner Brandt Shortland said the inquest into Northland farmer John Roderick McInnes, also known as Jack, was the first of five inquests involving quad bikes he would hear over the next six weeks - including a cluster of three deaths within eight weeks in Northland.

During a two-day inquest in Auckland next month Mr Shortland would hear from a number of experts, including academics, government representatives, safety officials and those in the rural sector.

He would hear all the evidence and then make recommendations which he said would be a collaborative effort with community input.

"The issue around quad bike safety is very complex," he told those at today's hearing.

Mr McInnes died on September 25 when the quad bike he was using to spray weeds rolled on him at Marua, 20km south-east of Whangarei. He was riding the vehicle on a steep hill across rough ground when it rolled 180 degrees and pinned him face-down.

He was found by his daughter and her husband.

The inquest into the death Arapohue farmer and builder Carlos Mendoza, 52, will be held tomorrow in Whangarei followed by Suzanne Claudia Ferguson, 62.

Mr Mendoza died in a quad bike accident on September 16 near Dargaville.

Mrs Ferguson was towing a trailer of haylage on August 9, 2010 when her quad bike is thought to have rolled on steep terrain, pinning her underneath at a Gammon Rd farm near Awarua, about 20km south of Kaikohe.

The Chief Coroner last year raised concerns about the number of quad bike fatalities. He said previously that the inquests were being heard together to determine if there was anything in common among the deaths that could then be used to improve quad bike safety.

Last year the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment launched a safety campaign after several quad-bike deaths across the country.

Every year, on average, 850 people are injured, on farms, riding quad bikes, with five deaths.

However, the number of annual deaths has risen sharply in recent years, prompting the ministry to release several safety guidelines.

It says quad-bike riders must be trained/experienced enough to do the job; should choose the right vehicle for the job; always wear a helmet and children should not ride adult quad bikes.

Farmers who don't follow those safety steps risk penalties under the Health and Safety in Employment Act if someone working on their farm is seriously injured or killed.

The ministry also recommends that quad bikes be maintained in a safe condition; riders take care on slopes and rough terrain; don't exceed the capabilities of the bike; don't do tasks that interfere with safe riding and keep both hands on the bike, with eyes on the ground in front.

- NORTHERN ADVOCATE

Man injured after quad bike rolls
ACC claims for quad bike accidents drop - research
$5k in exit lunches after ACC clearout
Probe set for links in quad bike deaths

Related Tags

Accidents

Be part of the news. Send pics, video and tips to nzherald.

#9 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

It is great to see New Zealander's doing something proactive & inventive to help prevent quad bike accidents.

ATV Lifeguard

http://atvlifeguard.co.nz/

http://atvlifeguard....ia_quad_safety/

Ever heard that story that a Quad is more dangerous with a Roll Bar than without one? We have – lots, and it may be true in some cases. With the ’Lifeguard®’ all these stories don’t stack up, and we can guarantee you that a ’Lifeguard®’ hitting you in the event of a roll-over, will be a lot more comfortable than the full weight of a quad..

Although there are still areas on the quad that can cause harm, and a ‘Lifeguard®’ may not save a life in some cases, but view it like a seat-belt in a car. If you brought a car with no seatbelts in it, what would you do? Some people don’t use them, and die in the event of a crash – some survive. Others wear them and have a really bad crash and still their seat-belt doesn’t save them. But think of the countless times seat-belts have saved lives in car crashes…

A seat-belt on a quad is defiantly more dangerous with one than with out, and we don’t recommend that at all. But now you have the ’Lifeguard®’ as an option for some extra safety, which may or may not save your life in a quad accident, but with one attached, you or your wife, husband, worker and friends will be a lot safer, and you don’t even have to ‘make it click’!!

Please note, that the ‘Lifeguard®’ cannot be attached to plastic carriers. For example most new Polaris’s and Can-am’s it may not suit.

* The “Lifeguard” is a segmented Roll Bar that helps give crush protection on an upturned Quad and is less likely to cause injury to the rider.
* This is because of it’s flexible construction. It is designed to hold up a Quad in excess of 350kg and can be simply mounted to the rear carrier. Special tests by Landcorp NZ and IRL has established it does not significantly alter the stability of the Quad.
* 2 or 3 dogs can comfortably ride inside the “Lifeguard”. In fact it gives them a support to lean against which helps prevent them being thrown off.
* - Flexible but cannot collapse
- Helps a Quad ‘bounce’ off you
- NEW concept and WORLD 1st in ATV Safety
- Spreads the weight and can support over 1200kg
- Will mould around you in the event of a rollover
- Makes it possible to push a Quad off from on top you
- It’s possible to wriggle out from underneath an up-turned Quad
- ARC shape assists rolling the Quad back onto its wheels
- Designed and Manufactured in New Zealand

ATV LIFEGUARD

#10 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

Unfortunately this is yet another Quad Bike death, & very preventable at that.

In our opinion a child aged a mere 7 years of age is far to young to be on any such machine.

Yes we do appreciate the horse he rode at the same age may also cause accidents, however it is sad this has arisen in the first place.

'Star' rider cheeky Charlie mourned
NEIL RATLEY
Last updated 05:00 08/01/2014

http://www.stuff.co....Charlie-mourned

The 6-year-old Invercargill boy killed while riding an adult quad bike on a farm was a "mischievous and super kid" who loved miniature horses.

Charlie John Vercoe
died after the quad bike crashed on a farm at Lorneville near Invercargill about 5.30pm on Monday.

Detective Sergeant Grant Johnstone, of Invercargill, said Charlie and his 12-year-old brother were out together riding quad bikes when the crash happened.

Wallacetown volunteer firefighter Brendan Hamilton said Charlie, who was visiting the property, was pinned under the adult quad bike and submerged in a creek.

He had been freed by people on the farm by the time firefighters arrived but had been trapped under the vehicle for several minutes, Hamilton said.

The boy had a helmet on but was on the vehicle by himself, he said.

Southland police were continuing their investigation into the death.

Initial indications were that Charlie lost control of the quad bike, which rolled before landing in a ditch of water.

He was taken to Southland Hospital where he died.

Southern Miniature Horse Club publicity officer Hazel Leckie, where Charlie was a member, said he was a keen horseman who would be sorely missed by everyone at the club.

"The club is devastated and all our thoughts are with Charlie's family," she said.

"He was a super, super kid, a little mischievous at times but pleasant and well-mannered like all good kids."

Charlie and his family were all associated with the club and he was a real star, Leckie said.

At a Southern Miniature Horse Club event held in November, Charlie picked up three first places.

The photograph provided by Charlie's parents yesterday shows a proud, smiling boy with a miniature horse and his ribbon.

The whole club was really closeknit and the death would be particularly hard on fellow club member Cara Scott and her husband, Owen Scott, on whose farm the accident happened, Leckie said.

Charlie's parents were being supported by family members and Victim Support.

A spokeswoman for the family said the boy's parents were not ready to speak to the media at this time.

"It is a terrible tragedy and they are just trying to process their grief," she said.

St Patrick's School principal Callan Goodall said Charlie had attended the school in 2012, but moved to Tisbury School last year.

"He was a quiet wee boy … but had a spark in his eye that made him very popular among the other students," he said.

Police said the incident was a tragic reminder of the need for a high level of safety around farm vehicles.

The investigation was at an early stage.

WorkSafe New Zealand has also launched an inquiry into the boy's death.

'TOOL NOT TOY'

Charlie's death is a terrible tragedy, said Southland Federated Farmers boss Russell MacPherson, and he hoped lessons can be learned from it.

MacPherson, who yesterday expressed the federation's condolences to the youngster's family, said Charlie's death was another warning that quad bikes were dangerous and should be treated with respect.

"They are a farm tool, not a farm toy."

Quad bikes looked like fun and could be fun but were terribly dangerous machines, especially in the hands of young people, MacPherson said.

"This is a reminder to parents and grandparents, our children and grandchildren should not be on adult quad bikes, it's that simple."

Full-sized four-wheelers carried labels from the manufacturer specifying no-one under 16 should ride one.

The adult-size four-wheelers were heavy, powerful machines and needed an adult to control them, MacPherson said.

"You need weight to manoeuvre and control an adult four-wheeler and kids don't have that."

No passengers should be carried on a four-wheeler either, unless designed to do so: passengers restrict the rider's mobility and add weight, making it harder to control and more prone to tipping over.

"This is a terrible tragedy for the family involved, for Southland and farming communities and if anything can come out of it, it will be a reminder that four-wheelers are dangerous and potentially can kill," MacPherson said.

While one death resulting from a quad bike was one too many, MacPherson said the fatality rate with quad bikes needed to be put in perspective when compared with cars and motorcycles, which killed hundreds of people each year.

"There may be four or five quad-bike deaths a year and most of these are not through farming but as a result of recreational use," he said.

TOLL GROWS

WorkSafe New Zealand recorded 29 work-related quad bike fatalities between 2006 and 2012, and 260 incidents of quad bike-related serious harm between 2009 and 2012.

Those figures exclude deaths and injuries in work-related road crashes, which are investigated by the police.

The figures are bothering coroners and the regulator. There is to be a forum before the end of March to commit to an action plan to improve quad bike safety.

On average five people die and 850 are injured annually on quad bikes, WorkSafe statistics show.

Recent deaths included:

Shane White, 10,
who was found pinned under a quad bike in October 2012 on the Wairarapa farm where his family were sharemilkers. Efforts to revive him failed.

Rowan Parker, 16,
of South Otago, who lost control of a quad bike and fell 150-200 metres off a cliff at a farm in December 2012.

Hamish Baxter, 45, who was found dead on the side of the road next to his mid-Canterbury farm last January, after crashing his quad bike while going to check on irrigation.

Farmhand Gary Tantrum, 44, who died after his bike toppled over and pinned him, while he was shifting cows on steep ground at a South Waikato dairy farm in March 2013.

Eric Schollum, 72,
who died when his quad bike rolled as he was working on a sheep and beef farm near Warkworth, north of Auckland, in July.

Ashlee Shorrock, then aged 6, was badly hurt in a quad bike crash in Waimarama in January last year.

A court heard her father, Daniel McGregor, 28, was drunk when the quad bike he was driving crashed down a bank in the beachside settlement.

She suffered a fractured skull and injuries to her face, neck, spine and back. Three adult passengers had broken bones.

McGregor was sentenced to nine months' home detention and disqualified from driving for two years.

Last November, at the joint inquest into five quad bike deaths, coroner Brandt Shortland made a series of recommendations aimed at reducing deaths.

Among those recommendations was preventing children from operating adult machines, a warning that was tragically not followed.

The Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) said it would call together all parties involved - manufacturers, farming leaders, community leaders and trainers - to work through how recommendations could be implemented.

WorkSafe has since taken over the health and safety side of MBIE and a spokesman said the forum would be held no later than the end of March.

"Coroner Shortland's recommendations are a natural spur to build an enhanced programme of activity to drive down fatalities and serious injuries on these machines in New Zealand's rural [and other] workplaces," the spokesman said.

- © Fairfax NZ News

#11 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Clutha quad bike crash victim named
Last updated 12:03 25/09/2014

http://www.stuff.co....sh-victim-named

A 56-year-old man killed in a quad bike crash in the Clutha region yesterday has been named as Neville Ian Anderson, of Milton.

Police said they were alerted to the incident on a rural farming property near Waihola Hill in the Clutha District about 6.45pm yesterday.

The man was killed after the quad bike he was driving overturned while he was working on steep terrain on the farm.

He was found trapped under the vehicle by another farm worker.

Police attended the remote incident scene and the investigation was ongoing.

WorkSafe
New Zealand had been notified and expected to have staff at the scene today, police said.

The death has been reported to the coroner.

Also yesterday, a 20-year-old man suffered serious injuries after falling from his quad bike while riding in a paddock near Paeroa.

These accidents come less than two weeks after a South Canterbury man was killed in a quad bike crash on a farm near Timaru.

APPALLING RECORD

New Zealand is building an appalling record of quad bike-related fatalities and accidents.

On average five people die and 850 are injured annually on quad bikes, WorkSafe statistics show.

Yesterday's accident adds another name to the list of New Zealanders killed or injured in quad bike accidents in the last two years:

-On September 12 Simon Robert Halsey, 38, died when the quad bike he was riding crashed on a Barton Rd property near Timaru.

-A 38-year-old man died after crashing his quad bike in the Whanganui suburb of Castlecliff in July this year.

- Four-year-old Timothy George MacAvoy, of Ashburton, died in Auckland's Starship Hospital a week after a quad bike accident on a farm near Tai Tapu in Canterbury on April 27.

- Southland 6-year-old Charlie Vercoe died in January after being pinned under an adult quad bike he had been riding on an Invercargill farm.

- Eric Schollum, 72, died when his quad bike rolled as he was working on a sheep and beef farm near Warkworth, north of Auckland, in July 2013.

- Farmhand Gary Tantrum, 44, died after his bike toppled over and pinned him, while he was shifting cows on steep ground at a South Waikato dairy farm in March 2013.

- Hamish Baxter, 45, was found dead on the side of the road next to his mid-Canterbury farm in January 2013, after crashing his quad bike while going to check on irrigation.

- A girl, then aged 6, was badly hurt in a quad bike crash in Waimarama in January 2013. A court heard her father, Daniel McGregor, 28, was drunk when the quad bike he was driving crashed down a bank in the beachside settlement.

- Rowan Parker, 16, of South Otago, lost control of a quad bike and fell 150- 200 metres off a cliff at a farm in December 2012.

- Shane White, 10, was found pinned under a quad bike in October 2012 on the Wairarapa farm where his family were sharemilkers. Efforts to revive him failed.

- Australian Chelsea Callaghan, 38, died when she crashed a quad bike during a Riverland Adventures tour in Onewhero in October 2012.

- Stuff

#12 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

Man dies after quad bike traps him in drain

By Kristin Edge
Updated 21 min ago 5:10 PM Monday Oct 13, 2014

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11341740

A man is dead after being trapped under a quad bike in a drain full of water near Dargaville.

A Ruawai farmer pulled the 42-year-old from the drain yesterday afternoon and started CPR but was unable to revive him.

The death comes 11 days after a Far North teen suffered serious injuries after the quad bike she was riding rolled and pinned her in a swamp near Ahipara. The girl's sister managed to get the bike off her but she was in a lot of pain and still partly under water when firefighters came to her aid.

In the latest incident, Dargaville police Senior Sergeant Rob Nordstrand said emergency services were called to the Armstrong Rd in Ruawai at 5.30pm on Sunday, but the victim died at the scene.

Mr Nordstrand said the man lived at the farm but did not work there. He had been riding the quad bike to help shift some cows.

The farmer had driven away on his tractor and returned to find the bike on its side in a drain and the man underneath.

WorkSafe were investigating and police have handed the matter over to the coroner.

- NORTHERN ADVOCATE

#13 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

KATHRYN KING, you may like to edit your article, on one hand you have named the deceased man, on the other you say their name will not be released until identified and family notified??

Quad bike fatality named
KATHRYN KING
Last updated 12:00 11/12/2014

http://www.stuff.co....-after-accident

The Dannevirke farm worker killed in a quad bike accident was Robert Christian.

The 43-year-old Australian national may have been trapped for an hour before he was found.

Tararua police were called to a rural property in Dannevirke about 7.20am yesterday, after the 43-year-old man's colleagues became worried that he had been gone a long time.

Tararua CIB Detective Shane Brown said the man was out on the quad bike rounding up a second herd of cows for the morning milking and had been missing for more than half an hour before they realised he was taking an unusually long time.

It was another half hour before a colleague found him trapped under the quad bike after it appeared to have rolled while he was traversing the side of a hill.

It took another half an hour for his colleague to raise the alarm, given that there is poor cellphone reception in the area, Brown said.

An ambulance was called and he was given CPR, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police are working with WorkSafe NZ in the investigation into his death.

The death has been referred to the coroner.

The man's name will not be released until formal identification is complete and his family informed.

According to WorkSafe, quad bikes are involved in about 28 per cent of all work-related farm deaths.

About 850 people are injured riding quad bikes on farms every year, and of those, five people die.

In 2010, WorkSafe launched the Quad Bike Harm Reduction Project, focusing on improving quad bike safety in New Zealand.

The four key safety messages of the project are; always wear a helmet, choose the right vehicle for the job, don't let children ride adult quad bikes and riders must be trained or experienced enough to do the job.

A 2013 report on the project found there was a 9 per cent reduction in the number of ACC entitlement claims relating to quad bikes since the start of the campaign.

However, there was no reduction in the number of fatal quad bike accidents.

- Manawatu Standard

#14 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:06 PM

Quads and kids: Where do we draw the line?
CALEB HARRIS
Last updated 12:40, January 31 2015

http://www.stuff.co....e-draw-the-line

Richard Bowling still vividly recalls the day when he let his 8-year-old daughter Georgina ride slow laps around a paddock on her quad bike while he trimmed a hedge.

He had made sure she was wearing her helmet and he was keeping an eye out as she puttered past. When he realised she hadn't reappeared, he went looking and found she had ridden under a rail, got trapped and suffocated on her helmet strap.

As he describes that day more than a decade later, the pain is still audible in the Blenheim father's voice.
GONE TOO SOON: Georgina Bowling.
Supplied

GONE TOO SOON: Georgina Bowling.

"What you think is the safest, safest, safest situation, you know, where she's just metres away from me on perfectly flat land . . . "

The pain has been brought back by a similar accident that killed 6-year-old Abigail Schmal-Singleton at a trail-bike event near Masterton last weekend. She hit a fence while riding her child-sized quad bike along a gravel driveway, and is believed to have suffered fatal internal injuries.

Bowling says the undoubted grief of Abigail's parents should give every parent pause before they put their child in sole charge of any motorised vehicle.

"You wish that terrible moment hadn't have happened . . . you mustn't blame yourself in these situations because life's about experience and we do want our children to have experiences; it's all part of it. But choose your experience well.

"There's been this development of smaller and smaller [vehicles], chasing into a younger and younger market, because they can, because there's no restriction . . . You can down-scale the things as much as you like, but the physics remain the same."

The Kawasaki quad bike that Abigail, of Lower Hutt, was riding was a low-powered 50cc model less than a metre high, weighing 111 kilograms and with a top speed of just 20kmh - designed for recreational use by children of her age.

The day after last Sunday's tragedy, Children's Commissioner Russell Wills, a paediatrician, said it showed children should not ride "farm bikes" of any size - even those designed for children.

This echoed a December report by the government's Child and Youth Mortality Review Committee into the deaths between 2002 and 2012 of 33 children while using quad bikes and other off-road vehicles - a child death rate during a recreational activity that ranked second only to drowning.

Co-author and paediatrician Nick Baker
says New Zealand should seriously consider following international examples such as Australian farm safety body Farmsafe, which recommended children aged under 16 not be allowed on quads of any size.

But Federated Farmers and others labelled this over the top.

"One death is one too many, but we need to have a sensible discussion about this," says Wairarapa Federated Farmers president Jamie Falloon, who farms near the scene of Sunday's accident and rode in the trail-bike event that day.

"It's not sensible saying everything's too dangerous and everything should be banned - do we want them all sitting inside on iPads?"

Riding quads and other motorbikes is an intrinsic, valuable part of life for thousands of Kiwi children, including his own, he says.

"I realise the risks and I take precautions . . . they've had injuries, but no worse than falling off the trampoline, riding push-bikes or playing rugby."

Falloon pointed out Baker's report showed there were 12 deaths of children riding quads between 2002 and 2012, as opposed to the often-quoted larger total of 33 for all off-road vehicles.

Of the 12, the size of the quad was recorded in only five cases, and in only one of these was it less than 90cc. More children were killed in the same period on two-wheel motorbikes, with 15, yet their deaths attracted less "hysteria" than quad deaths, he says.

"The message should be, use the appropriate vehicle for the appropriate use and the appropriate ability."

CHIEF coroner and judge Neil MacLean says it is right to question how young is too young to be taking charge of any quad bike.

"You're talking about quite a powerful piece of equipment, be it a little one or a big one."

He questions why a 50cc scooter could be be ridden on the road only by someone of 16 or older with a car licence, yet a 6-year-old could freely ride a similarly powered vehicle off-road.

The discussion should not get reduced to rural people feeling put upon by city-based critics, he says.

"You get, 'You townies are all sort of soft, wimpy, and you don't know what it's like out in real New Zealand.' But the thing about the small, child quad bikes is that this won't be just a rural thing, this is a recreational thing."

Motorsport groups such as Motorcycling NZ have defended pint-sized quads, saying the under-10 "pee-wee" category is an integral part of the sport, and safe when practised responsibly.

But MacLean says people's passion for their sport should not stop government intervention if the death toll warrants it. "We have a responsibility to ensure the safety of our children, and sometimes we have to be prepared to say no, too young, too dangerous."

However, a representative of Kawasaki, maker of the quad on which Abigail died, says child-sized quads are safe if they are ridden correctly under proper supervision.

"I compare it to a 5-year-old water-skiing and snow skiing - you have to have the right environment and the right product," New Zealand distributor Mike Wilkins says.

He rejects Bowling's suggestions that manufacturers should stop making child-sized quads, saying they comply with internationally accepted safety standards.

"Our little 50 [cc] is very, very low-powered and very, very speed restricted . . . so long as there is a market and people wish to buy them, we'll make sure we comply with every bit of safety that is possible."

The model has a tether, which parents can pull to cut the engine, and an adjustable throttle that can reduce available speed to a crawl. The company has sold about 2000 of the four-stroke machines over the past 10 years.

WorkSafe NZ manager of national programmes Francois Barton says that, while accidents involving child-sized, recreational quads are not generally under its purview, since they are not work vehicles, they are part of the bigger picture of the challenges farmers and others face in keeping their families safe in the rural environment, where the line between work and play is not always black and white.

"People are asking the question, well, how safe are they [child-sized quads]?"

Next month, WorkSafe and ACC will launch a six-year Safer Farms programme to try to help answer that question, among others. It will include work in schools and communities to help children and parents make better decisions around safety on quads of all sizes, he says. "The issue is more, what does safe look like? For example, always wearing a helmet."

MacLean says that, with WorkSafe and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, which have led extensive work in recent years promoting safe use of quad bikes on farms, he will be taking a hard look into any restrictions required over the use of increasingly popular, "down-sized" quad bikes.

"[But] we can't make the law change. That will only be public demand, ultimately."

YOUNGSTERS HAVE A BLAST, SAFELY

Under the watchful eye of expert riders, about 100 children on both four and two wheels gleefully growled, roared and sputtered their way through exercises and courses designed to build safety skills over Wellington Anniversary weekend.

For co-organiser Grant Langlands, of Masterton's Langlands Honda Motorcycles, the three-day Honda Kids Camp at Wairarapa's Glenburn Station showed the best of child-sized motorbike culture, including pee-wee quads.

"It's like a family. We take them out and educate them and stimulate them about the outdoors . . . parents come and say [their child] was a PlayStation addict, now he's a well-balanced kid."

Watched by proud parents, children from around the lower North Island camped out during the annual event and learned about body armour, climbing and descending hills safely, spatial and situational awareness, safe stopping and starting, "active riding" including balance and weight distribution, healthy eating for competitive riding, and mechanical and maintenance skills, he says.

Intriguingly, even though he and colleague Grey Martin are opposed to any restriction on children's quad bike use, they admit they feel two-wheelers are safer. "The thing with a two-wheeler, if kids ride too aggressively they get the ouch theory, they learn that stupid hurts . . . if you get a bit wobbly you slow down," Martin says.

But because quads do not immediately demand balancing skills, they create an illusion of security that encourages risky behaviour, and their much greater weight means being crushed underneath is always a possibility, he says.

"People have always said why don't Honda make 50s [50cc quads] - that's the reason."

- The Dominion Post

#15 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:09 PM

Please click on the link for the full article and graphs.

Interactive: Quad bike, ATV crashes top 2000, cost ACC $4.4m last year
Last updated 15:04, January 26 2015

http://www.stuff.co....c-44m-last-year

Tragedy: A Kawasaki 50cc kids' quad, similar to the one a six-year-old girl died while riding yesterday

There were more than 2000 claims to ACC as a result of accidents on all terrain vehicles at a cost of $4.4m last year.

The data comes to light after a six-year-old died on a quad bike at a charity event yesterday.

The New Zealand Transport Agency definition of ATVs as having 3 or more wheels, an engine capacity exceeding 50ml and weighing than 1000 kilograms.

That includes most quad bikes, smaller 'side by sides' and amphibious vehicles. Utes and light trucks originally constructed for road use are too heavy and are not included, even if modified.

There are more than 100,000 ATVs in New Zealand, mostly used on farms, according to the agency.

While the highest proportion of victims of were generally of working age (15-64), more than one in 10 (242) of 2174 claims in 2014 involved children under the age of 15.

ACC received six ATV accidental death entitlement claims in 2014, the same number as 2013 and down slightly on the nine in 2012. ACC said it captured only ATV-related fatalities where an accidental death claim had been lodged, and that the actual number of deaths involving an ATV in those years might be higher.

The data also shows that men are about three times as likely to be victims of ATV accidents as women - 1591 accidents compared to 583 for women in 2014.

Not surprisingly ATV accidents are more commonplace in rural areas.

Data provided by ACC for territorial authorities (or council areas) show that Waimate, South Wairarapa, Waitomo, Clutha and Hurunui districts are the five regions with the highest incidence of ATV accidents per head of population.

At the other end of the scale, Lower Hutt, Wellington, Porirua, Auckland and Dunedin city councils recorded the lowest per-person rates of ATV accident.

Explore the data by territorial authority or age range in the tables below.

Territorial authorities

#16 User is offline   hukildaspida 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Woman killed in quad bike crash named

By - Bay of Plenty Times
Breaking 2:35 PM Tuesday May 17, 2016
http://www.nzherald....jectid=11640113

Woman killed in quad bike crash named
By - Bay of Plenty Times
Breaking 2:35 PM Tuesday May 17, 2016

Save

Like on Facebook 2
Twitter 0
Post on LinkedIn 0
+1 on Google+ 0

Bay of Plenty Times

A kiwifruit contractor died in a workplace accident at Athenberry Orchard on Friday. Photo/George Novak A kiwifruit contractor died in a workplace accident at Athenberry Orchard on Friday. Photo/George Novak

Police have released the name of the woman killed in a quad bike incident in Athenree on Friday.

She was 59-year-old Yvonne Rogers, of Katikati.

WorkSafe New Zealand has been notified and the death has been referred to the coroner.

In an article in today's Bay of Plenty Times, Waihi police Sergeant Aaron Fraser described her death as a "tragic accident".

"A female orchard worker was initially reported as missing and eventually located a few hours later by other orchard staff trapped underneath a quad bike she had been using around the orchard.

Read more: Traumatic incidents triple at Tauranga schools

"It appears from the initial investigation that she has taken a shortcut up a grassy incline and the quad bike has hit a small lip hidden in the grass and flipped the bike on top of her and pinned her down, possibly suffocating her."

A spokesperson for Agfirst Bay of Plenty, the woman's employer, confirmed there had been "an unfortunate fatal accident".

"Our thoughts are with the family," he said.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users